cheech and chong strike again

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
17 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

cheech and chong strike again

mat in tn
one day i was headed for my local used parts location. as i parked the truck i noticed some of the locals burning leaves. its early fall and i love all of it. falling leaves, smoke from early start ups from fireplaces and stoves, chill in the morning and the reminder that deer season is upon us. then it happened! the truck lit!!!
 all of those burning leaves were really in my heater being ignited by the resistor. smoke pouring from all vents quickly turning bubba into a scene from "up in smoke".  i shut it off and bailed. grabbed my 5/16 nut driver and had the motor out in a minute and one bottle of water later it was over. happily i just happened to be at the right place to find another resistor.
 I'm reminded of this year-old story because it happened again today with a customer's 89. my neighbor smokes. a lot. and not always Marlboro. frankly its annoying.  so as i was headed out on a test drive from a brake job i kept smelling her stuff. then it happened! pouring through the dash vents. shut it down. bail out. grab 5/16' nut driver. minute later its out. only this time it was a field mouse nest. occupied! this one required gloves. im guessing this old guy let his truck set a bit too long. the last reg. was 07.
 anyway. yall enjoy my mishap. and remember, " if you smell smoke but don't see smoke it just might be you" hahahahah
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: cheech and chong strike again

ratdude747
Can't say I've had any fires... but I have had resistors overheat and fail or rust out due to such. This is one reason why cabin air filters became a thing, actually. That and to keep junk from blocking the AC drains and molding up the evaporator.  
1984 F150: 300 L6, AOD, RWD. EEC IV / TFI, Feedback Carter YFA Carb. Stock everything but radio (for now).
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
I smelled smoke and thought someone was burning leaves. Nope, nothing even close to us and the smoke continued. I turned the heater off and headed home. Pulled the resistor and there were charred leaves.

Pulled the motor and cleaned several hands full of leaves out. Now I’m running a pincushion cowl. No more leaves.
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

mat in tn
yes leaves. this one was some form of cardboard. and it made it through the pin cushion!
Reply | Threaded
|

grumpin
Nice that you had a handy nutdriver handy!
Dane
1986 F250HD SC XLT Lariat 4x4 460 C6-Sold
1992 Bronco XLT 4x4 351W E4OD
1998 GMC Sierra SLE K1500 350 4L60E
Arizona
Reply | Threaded
|

Rembrant
grumpin wrote
Nice that you had a handy nutdriver handy!
I was thinking the exact same thing! It was almost as if he had it holstered like Wild Bill Hickok!

I have to admit though, I carried around a couple 1/2" wrenches for quite a while after having the starter solenoid stick on a few times. They were laying on the seat beside me and I was ready for action.

I carried a Leatherman on my belt for years, but I haven't been for a while now because my job mainly has me driving a desk these days. Surprising how often I used it.
1994 F150 4x2 Flareside. 5.0 w/MAF, 4R70W, stock.
1984 F150 4X2 Flareside. Mild 302 w/ 5spd. Sold.
1980 F150 4X4 Flareside. 300i6 w/ 5spd. Sold in 2021.
1980 F100 4X2 Flareside. 351w/2bbl w/NP435. Sold in 1995

Reply | Threaded
|

mat in tn
it is true, I do have tools handy, especially while working, and at the shop. I used to run an air conditioning business and get in the habit of always having a well-regulated militia at the ready. the 5/16 is one of the most used in air cond. I just happen to know it fits the air Cond on the trucks also.
however, it's not the first time someone has remarked about how curious it is that i knew what to do so quickly. haha
Reply | Threaded
|

Sparky
Thanks for the reminder. I've had the truck for a few months but it's time to do some housekeeping! No telling what's in there.
Steve
1986 F-150 XLT Lariat long bed, 2WD, 302 EFI, AOD, 3.55, dual tanks
Reply | Threaded
|

BigBrother-84
In reply to this post by mat in tn
mat in tn wrote
my neighbor smokes. a lot. and not always Marlboro. [...]  so as i was headed out on a test drive from a brake job i kept smelling her stuff. then it happened! [...] " if you smell smoke but don't see smoke it just might be you" hahahahah

Jeff / 1984 F350 Crew Cab 4x4/5.8L w351 4V/ T18/ D50 4.10 front/ 8' bed.
Restored 2019-2022.
Nicknamed «Big Brother 1984», due to its soooo-looong shape & nod to George Orwell's 1984 famous novel.
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
BigBrother-84 wrote
Love it!

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

grumpin
Gary Lewis wrote
BigBrother-84 wrote
Love it!
Hey! Willie Nelson owns a bullnose?
Dane
Arizona
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
grumpin wrote
Hey! Willie Nelson owns a bullnose?
Ok, what am I missing here?  

Reply | Threaded
|

mat in tn
In reply to this post by Gary Lewis
O M G........ it's like you were there. am I on candid camera? where's Alan Funt?
Reply | Threaded
|

BigBrother-84
Gary Lewis wrote
Ok, what am I missing here?
Hahaha!  Probably not Mr. Wilson, since he is supposed to have already puffed his last "special «m» cigarette", in oder to take care of his lungs.
Restored 2019-2022.
Nicknamed «Big Brother 1984», due to its soooo-looong shape & nod to George Orwell's 1984 famous novel.
Reply | Threaded
|

BigBrother-84
In reply to this post by mat in tn
mat in tn wrote
O M G........ it's like you were there. am I on candid camera? where's Alan Funt?
It's simply because you are an excellent storyteller, you create strong images in our minds!
We FEEL like if we were there!
Restored 2019-2022.
Reply | Threaded
|

grumpin
Willie has been known to smoke marijauna.
Dane
Arizona
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Got it. Thanks!