celll phone holders

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
10 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

celll phone holders

rcarlisle
What kind of cell phone holders is everyone using? in my car I have a suction mount with an arm that positions it right behind steering wheel so I can touch answer if it rings.  Or see what kind of notification is coming it.  

Along same lines, what kind of center console?   For cup holder, junk catcher, etc.  Can't use floor mount (shifter).  

Any other convenience items I might want?  
Randy

Mt. Airy, NC   81 F-150 STYLESIDE regular cab 2wd.   302 Auto Zone crate.  5 spd M5od-R2  
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: celll phone holders

FuzzFace2
In my truck I throw the phone on the seat and if it rings I may or may not look at it.

In my Durango there is a slot at the front of the console I put the phone in. Again may or may not look at it if it rings.

If it is that important they will leave a VM and I will call back when safe to do so.

I am a truck driver and fed law and company rules No Cell phone use when driving!
I do have a BT head set but only put it on if safe to do so. I don't like talking on the phone so it is always short & sweet.
Dave ----
Dave G.
81 F100 flare side 300 six / AA OD / NP435 / 2.75 gear
http://cars.grantskingdom1.com/index.php/1980-Ford-F100?page=1
81 F100 style side 300 six/SROD parts truck -RIP
http://cars.grantskingdom1.com/index.php/1981-Ford-F100
Reply | Threaded
|

rcarlisle
If I throw it on seat, it ends up gone.  Behind seat, under seat, under my feet.  

I don't use phone unless I am stopped.   But where I have it in my car is line of site so I can see if it is something that needs attention NOW to park or can wait till I get parked.  It may be against law here - I don't use it while driving, so doesn't matter.  

A slot in a universal console may be where I end up in this truck.  Not like I'll be driving too far to find a stopping point.  This truck will be a "round towner".  
Randy

Mt. Airy, NC   81 F-150 STYLESIDE regular cab 2wd.   302 Auto Zone crate.  5 spd M5od-R2  
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
In reply to this post by rcarlisle
I have an iOttie Qi wireless charging holder.
The suction cup held great, but I had to have the arm set so far forward it bounced like crazy.
So I bent a piece of Lexan and have it slipped between my dash pad, above the radio.
It is a lot easier to read when it isn't bouncing around.

For a cupholder/console I'm using a mahogany box I made back in '84 and used to have in my Datsun.
Drink sizes increased a lot from the 12oz aluminium can of back then. (I know I enlarged the holes for Snapple bottles, and then again over the years)
It is hinged up on each side and held in place with the lap belt.
 Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Too much other stuff to mention.
Reply | Threaded
|

FuzzFace2
I do have a  suction cup phone holder on the shelf in the garage.
I used it for a day in the work truck or maybe it was my Durango but I did not like it and why its on the shelf.
I am sure if you looked on Ebay or Amazon for holders you will have so many turn up you will close the page LOL

When I worked I.T. I was given a weighted pad you put on top of the dash, it should not move as it had no slip bottom. It had a smooth center you could put a suction cup to.
I never used it think the wife did in her car but dose not now.
Just 2 I picked from a Google search
https://www.amazon.com/Newward-Universal-Windshield-Dashboard-Smartphones/dp/B019T4RBQ8/ref=asc_df_B019T4RBQ8/?tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=309812019776&hvpos=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=15415056680120555713&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9009657&hvtargid=pla-599718956604&psc=1

https://www.amazon.com/Huhoo-Dashboard-Rotation-Adjustable-Smartphones/dp/B08GWQQDRN/ref=asc_df_B08GWQQDRN/?tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=475811884312&hvpos=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=15415056680120555713&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9009657&hvtargid=pla-1017322944386&psc=1
Dave ----
Dave G.
81 F100 flare side 300 six / AA OD / NP435 / 2.75 gear
http://cars.grantskingdom1.com/index.php/1980-Ford-F100?page=1
81 F100 style side 300 six/SROD parts truck -RIP
http://cars.grantskingdom1.com/index.php/1981-Ford-F100
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
I'm seriously considering a Classic Consoles unit, in spite of what I said, and still believe, about dealing with them.  (See my writeup in the Vender Reviews & Ratings.)  That's because I haven't found a viable alternative and I really want a cup holder and a place to store things for our trip to Colorado this summer.

Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

Sac79

I'm happy with mine. I got the discount they offered us and never paid for shipping. Not sure if it was a clerical error or not charged due to having to wait so long.

The securing strap isn't great and might annoy you Gary. The console slides easily back and forth regardless of how tight you pull the strap. It doesn't move side to side though. It might actually prove convenient with having to gain regular access behind the seat. The console will just slide forward when you flip the seatback forward without needing to loosen the strap. So maybe it's by design...

Rob

Eddy Myrtle '84 F150 300-6, Offenhauser C series intake, Edelbrock 1404(500cfm manual choke), EFI exhaust manifold, HEI dizzy, custom Painless harness, NP 435, NP 208, D44, 8.8"/3.08, 1.5" leveling coils, 265/75/16 tires.
Toyopet (Daily driver) '86 Toyota Pickup
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Good to know, Rob.  And the idea of it moving with the seat back is good 'cause I'll be getting behind the seat a lot.  I wonder if it could be put on a bungee cord to be pulled back as the seat back is returned.

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

rcarlisle
WEll, I got my truck this morning.  Has one of them, "western" pattern seat covers with pockets on the front.  That will hold the cell for now.   Will hold an empty stainless cup.  Not sure I'd trust a full one in there.  

All that will work for now.   Till I can figure out where to go next. What needs doing first - likely the front end.  Indicated 55 mph is an adventure in steering if the road goes anywhere but straight.   Definitely not new car tight.  

Randy

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
In my experience the first thing to go are the bushings.  Especially the ones at the back of the radius arms.  They'll make the truck take off in a new direction on bumps or when you touch the brakes.