build or buy?

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
11 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

build or buy?

Techguy
so im starting to find trucks around me for 1 to 3 k dollars. sadly non seem to be 4wd, so thats another post, but my issue is, would it be worth continuing to rebuild my truck or buy for lets sayt 1000k a running driving truck. this is a rough list of things my still needs:

wiring harness replaced
brakes (in progress)
floor pans replaced
window crank gear
all weather stripping
cluster replaced
ac system
weather stripping edges
windshield replaced

thats just the stuff i know about
i have a 1980 frame\engine\trans-4speed 300 4wd. and a 1985 cab
and its got a salvage title.

one reason ive kept with it is because its a great learning experience on all working parts of a older truck. but i also only have 1 day a week at most to ever work on it. would like others input on it though.  the biggest issue \ cost is the wiring harness, its really bad .

what are your thoughts?
these were the two i was thinking of,

truck 1

truck 2

truck 3
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: build or buy?

Gary Lewis
Administrator
My advice has been for quite some time to spend as much as you can when you purchase a truck - but obviously a properly-priced truck.  You'll pay less in the long run doing it that way.

I say that because I've pulled trucks out of a field several times and it cost me more to get them running than what I sold them for.  Because you can't initially drive those trucks there are always many more problems than you expect.

Looking at your list:

wiring harness replaced: This won't be easy nor cheap.  This, alone, makes buying another truck a consideration.

brakes (in progress): Not terribly expensive and the parts are available.

floor pans replaced: Not terribly expensive - if you can do it.  But if you have to hire it done it can be costly.

window crank gear: Also not expensive and fairly easily done.

all weather stripping: Not expensive, and fairly easily done.  Plus, almost any truck you find is likely to need this as well.

cluster replaced: Ditto.  Not expensive nor hard to do.

ac system: This can really run into money if you farm it out.  DAHIK.    And if your truck doesn't have all the components then that is another push to buy something that is running and, hopefully, has working A/C.

weather stripping edges: Not sure how this is different from the "all weather stripping" above.

windshield replaced: This is something you really need to farm out and you are looking at $200+ to get it done.  

So if you can find a truck that has good wiring, A/C, and little rust then you could swap your 4WD onto it and not only be money but also time ahead.

Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

Techguy
good info, the weather stripping edges, i dont know the term for it, the metal parts of the cab that you attach the weather stripping to, they are rusted away.  i would have to buy a welder kit and then learn, theres also a bunch of steering and components that would need to be replaced as well. the more i dig the more problems i find.   its always been a franken truck of sorts
Reply | Threaded
|

Techguy
In reply to this post by Gary Lewis
i agree that its gotten to that point. could i put take my 1980 f150 parts and install them in a 1982 f100?
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
I see what you mean by "weather stripping edges".  That's a fairly major undertaking and would give me pause.  I've done quite a bit of welding but certainly can't say I'm good.  And to do that I think you'd want to be pretty good.

As for F150 parts on an F100, that depends on the parts and the wheel bolt pattern of the F100.  If both trucks have the same bolt pattern for the wheels then yes, it should work.  But if the F100 has the smaller car bolt pattern then not all of the parts will fit.  The wheel hubs are different as are the brakes.

However, if you are talking about turning an F100 into a 4wd using your parts then I believe it should work.  That's because you would be bringing the whole front suspension over and replacing that of the F100.

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

Techguy
yeah i think i need to cut and run, could i use the 4wd parts from a manual 4wd 1980 on a automatic 1983 f150?

i found one locally for 1k that has the inline 6 in it
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Yes and no.  The front axle, known as Twin Traction Beams, should bolt on.  But if the automatic transmission is for a 2wd truck you can't bolt the transfer case to the back of it.  You'll have to either find a 4wd automatic or use your manual 4wd transmission.  But in the latter case you'll need other parts, like flywheel and clutch, if the engines are different.

Reply | Threaded
|

Techguy
ah gotcha, as always ty gary for all your info and help
Reply | Threaded
|

JimJam300
Something I realized through working on my Bronco and going through everything is that a lot of parts for these trucks are being hoarded by price gougers or they are virtually unavailable. If you don't initially purchase one that's original and intact, it will be difficult and expensive getting it back to that state. The sheer amount of different configurations these trucks could be had in complicates things further.
1982 Bronco restomod in progress: Built 4.9L, T19 4spd, 9" 3.00 rear w/ Eaton TrueTrac, 31" tires, fuel injection soon
https://www.youtube.com/@jimjamauto
Reply | Threaded
|

Techguy
i can agree with that, i got a numch of parts that i cant seem to give away but otheres that people want so much for. i like my older fords but sometimes i kinda wish i went with the late 70s ford or pre tbi gms
Reply | Threaded
|

Cali
In reply to this post by Gary Lewis
I bought a '95 ranger (supercab, 4x4, 3.0) for $200. It sat in a forest for 10 years. Literally had to cut down trees to get it out. (Thank God the windows had been rolled up).
New battery, 3 bucks in gas and it started and idled.
Sure the tires were rotted out from under it and the clutch disc/pressure plate was fused together but I was going to replace all that anyways.
Still has factory paint on the bottom side of the cab and bed.
Ran into a few unexpected issues (radius arm mounts wallowed out) but at this point I'm into it about $2k and have a truck that would pull an easy $5k on Craigslist or FB marketplace (thanks rockauto!!).
Know what you're looking at but don't be afraid of a "project".
We're talking about Fords here, right?
I have a 1966 with the original diff.
And the original FX transmission with just new discs and bands.