bricknose and bullnose interchangability

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
7 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

bricknose and bullnose interchangability

Techguy
id rather not have the first gen efi. is there any way to upgrade or replace the efi to a more dependable system? can any bullnose parts interchange with the bricknose?

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/300435335801468/?ref=search&referral_code=null&referral_story_type=post
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: bricknose and bullnose interchangability

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Bill/85lebaront2 and I are both running later EEC-V EFI with MAF, sequential injection, & OBD-II.  That compares to the previous EFI system that runs "speed density", bank-fire injection, and the original OBD.

But it wasn't a slam dunk.  I'm not sure exactly how Bill did it, but I interfaced the EEC-V system to the Bullnose wiring, and that took some work.  I used an engine wiring harness and ECU from a later truck.

And there were things we modified, like not using catalytic converters and, in my case, no EGR.  So we had to modify the parameters in the ECU, and that took purchasing Binary Editor software & a Mongoose cable, and learning to use them.
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

Techguy
Gary Lewis wrote
Bill/85lebaront2 and I are both running later EEC-V EFI with MAF, sequential injection, & OBD-II.  That compares to the previous EFI system that runs "speed density", bank-fire injection, and the original OBD.

But it wasn't a slam dunk.  I'm not sure exactly how Bill did it, but I interfaced the EEC-V system to the Bullnose wiring, and that took some work.  I used an engine wiring harness and ECU from a later truck.

And there were things we modified, like not using catalytic converters and, in my case, no EGR.  So we had to modify the parameters in the ECU, and that took purchasing Binary Editor software & a Mongoose cable, and learning to use them.
wow.  
Reply | Threaded
|

Techguy
In reply to this post by Gary Lewis
Gary Lewis wrote

what year did they start using the obd ii is this trucks?  are those later OBS trucks good at all? ive heard mixed reviews about the e40d transmissions. orginally i wanted the min ammt of emmissions equipment because of all the issues. were the early nineties efis still the old style?
Reply | Threaded
|

Nothing Special
Techguy wrote
what year did they start using the obd ii is this trucks?  are those later OBS trucks good at all? ive heard mixed reviews about the e40d transmissions....
I believe the F-150s and F-250s got OBD2 in '96 when it became mandatory.  But most F-250HDs and F-350s didn't get OBD2 until the SuperDuty came out in '99.  California trucks might be an exception, but I know my '97 F-250HD is still EEC-IV.

In a lot of ways the '92 - '97 are really the best of the '80s and '90s F-series (looks is definitely NOT one of those way as far as I'm concerned).  I'm certainly not putting down the earlier versions, but Ford didn't screw anything up too bad in this time frame as they added refinements.

You can argue that more electronics is a bad thing.  By that argument the early '80s were the best.  But if you want EFI and automatic transmissions that have overdrive and a lock-up torque converter I think the later trucks are your best bet (or go to a lot of effort to retrofit and get the best of both worlds).

As far as the E4OD goes, I think generally it's considered a very solid trans.  I bought my '97 with 161K and it's over 240k now.  As far as I know the trans has never had anything more than a fluid/filter change in its life.
Bob
Sorry, no '80 - '86 Ford trucks
"Oswald": 1997 F-250HD crew cab short box, 460, E4OD, 4.10 gears
"Pluto": 1971 Bronco, 302, NV3550 5 speed, Atlas 4.3:1 transfer case, 33" tires
"the motorhome": 2015 E-450-based 28' class C motorhome, 6.8L V-10
"the Dodge": 2007 Dodge 2500, 6.7L Cummins
Reply | Threaded
|

Techguy
Nothing Special wrote
Techguy wrote
what year did they start using the obd ii is this trucks?  are those later OBS trucks good at all? ive heard mixed reviews about the e40d transmissions....
I believe the F-150s and F-250s got OBD2 in '96 when it became mandatory.  But most F-250HDs and F-350s didn't get OBD2 until the SuperDuty came out in '99.  California trucks might be an exception, but I know my '97 F-250HD is still EEC-IV.

In a lot of ways the '92 - '97 are really the best of the '80s and '90s F-series (looks is definitely NOT one of those way as far as I'm concerned).  I'm certainly not putting down the earlier versions, but Ford didn't screw anything up too bad in this time frame as they added refinements.

You can argue that more electronics is a bad thing.  By that argument the early '80s were the best.  But if you want EFI and automatic transmissions that have overdrive and a lock-up torque converter I think the later trucks are your best bet (or go to a lot of effort to retrofit and get the best of both worlds).

As far as the E4OD goes, I think generally it's considered a very solid trans.  I bought my '97 with 161K and it's over 240k now.  As far as I know the trans has never had anything more than a fluid/filter change in its life.
thanks!  i always liked the OBS fords.  been trying to find a 5.8 , thats not insanely huge but can still tow.
in reality i just wanted something i could use and fix most things my self. mechanics are in short supply and prices are insane. ty for the info
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
In reply to this post by Nothing Special
The 1996 California-spec 460's got EEC-V with MAF & SEFI while the 49-state 460's stayed with EEC-IV that used bank-fire and speed density.

The other engines got EEC-V at least by '96.  The tip-off when looking is the mass air-flow (MAF) sensor attached to the air cleaner box.
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI