basic distributor needed

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
12 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

basic distributor needed

pyro's84F1504x4
I'm new to the forum page so forgive me if I'm not in the right area. I have a 84 F150 4 speed 4x4 with a stock 351W, rot and mice destroyed all my wiring and vacuum in the engine bay and I don't want to replace all that stuff I just want to go old school. Can some one point me in the direction to a good distributor for my truck, I will be upgrading my intake and carb once I get it running.
Pyro, white 84 F150 4x4 351W 2 brl motorcraft,4 speed. Owned for two years and now getting it running. Live in Northern Arizona (Cottonwood)
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: basic distributor needed

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Before getting as far as the dizzy we need to know if you are going to run EGR or not.  The reason being that if you aren't then you need a dizzy that's curved to work w/o it.  And that is likely to be an aftermarket distributor.

By '84 on the 351W 2bbl you should have a feedback carb, ECU/MCU under the dash, and a whole engine compartment full of wires and vacuum hoses.  So are you wanting to do away with all of that and go DS-II, meaning no computer?

If so then you need a DS-II harness, dizzy to match the EGR question, coil, and ignition module.

So, help us by giving us more info on what you are going to do?
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

pyro's84F1504x4
In reply to this post by pyro's84F1504x4
Thanks for the reply, I do not have an egr and want to eliminate the ecm. I will need to also get the coil ect. I did a lot of reading on this site and don't know enough to understand most of it like running a single wire or a gm module. Thanks for the help
Pyro, white 84 F150 4x4 351W 2 brl motorcraft,4 speed. Owned for two years and now getting it running. Live in Northern Arizona (Cottonwood)
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
The one-wire dizzy may seem the easiest, but I don't know if you can get one with the right advance curve in it.  Maybe, but I don't know for sure.  And the right advance curve is necessary as w/o EGR you need a completely different curve than one with EGR.

I suggest you contact Scotty at Parkland Performance and tell him what you have in your engine.  He can curve a dizzy to meet your needs and send you a brand new distributor set up for your situation.

However, that means you need to source the right harness, and used ones are getting harder to find.  I think Painless makes a harness, and while it is pricey it'll work nicely.  Then you need the ignition module.

As for removing the ECM, the wiring to it is completely separate from the rest of the truck, so you can follow the wires to the sending units on the ends and remove them.  Then pull the wires out and remove the ECM.

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

85lebaront2
Administrator
Gary, someone else on here had a thread on removing the EEC-III system and I found that, in the best Ford tradition (as far as trucks go) the wiring on the left inner fender is there for the DS-II system.

On the one wire distributors, I have covered ad nauseum what kind of current hog the GM HEI system is. I have also seen numerous posts on here, FB groups etc. regarding the Chinese knock-offs of the DUI units, things like two piece distributor drives to make it more "universal". Before I would even consider using one of the Chinese ones, I would go back to breaker points.
Bill AKA "LOBO" Profile

"Getting old is inevitable, growing up is optional" Darth Vader 1986 F350 460 converted to MAF/SEFI, E4OD 12X3 1/2 rear brakes, traction loc 3:55 gear, 160 amp 3G alternator Wife's 2011 Flex Limited Daily Driver 2009 Flex Limited with factory tow package Project car 1986 Chrysler LeBaron convertible 2.2L Turbo II, modified A413

Reply | Threaded
|

pyro's84F1504x4
Thanks for all the info, I'm still don't know what to do, I did call scotty and he said that I could run the dizzy with out the egr with out any adjustment to the curve. Still researching. and any more thoughts are very welcome.
Reply | Threaded
|

pyro's84F1504x4
As I'm looking the question is do I need to run an external resistor and can i use my existing coil?
Thanks, Pyro
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
There is a resistor in the wiring harness in the cab, so if you are using the stock connectors under the hood you won't need to add a resistor.  But if you are creating your own wiring you probably will need to add one.

As for the coil, yes you should be able to use the original coil.  I don't think any of the 351's got TFI so you should be good.

Reply | Threaded
|

Whisler
My '84 351W did com with TFI.
God Bless
Whisler

Frankenstein: 1989 F250 4X4, C-6, Hurst Pro-Matic 2 shifter, carbed '84 351W, Edelbrock manifold, Edlbrock AVS, DS2 ignition, 3G alternator, JBA shorty headers, no cats, dual exhaust with H pipe.
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Whisler wrote
My '84 351W did com with TFI.
Shows what little I know.  

Thanks for correcting me.  And, to then answer the previous question, the distributor needs to have a vacuum connection.  If it doesn't it isn't a DS-II dizzy and you'll need to replace it.

Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
351 HO were all DSII, but the regular 351's went TFI just like 302's.

Like Bill said, the harness is there, but if everything is eaten up you're probably going to find it easier to fit an HEI than replicate the stock harness.

These things are really easy to adjust compared to disassembling the whole thing like in a DSII distributor.
 Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Too much other stuff to mention.
Reply | Threaded
|

pyro's84F1504x4
Thanks guys, my did not have a TFI, all your comments were very helpful.
I'll ask questions as I need answers. Again thanks.