Yet another guy from Colorado

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
15 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Yet another guy from Colorado

Steam Power
Well, actually just across the border in northwest New Mexico.  But I still work in Colorado, and I grew up there.  Just can't afford to live there anymore.

Just bought a 1985 f-150 from a guy who had owned it since 1988.  Mostly I needed a truck to haul trash to the dump and occasionally haul big stuff from the store... That sort of thing.  I don't plan for it to be a daily driver or a committed "project"....  But I do want to keep it going and fix some of the little stuff with it.  And who knows?  Maybe someday I'll catch the restoration bug.

My name is Ian. I notice there's another new guy named Ian.... Hopefully nobody gets confused.

1985 F-150 4x4
standard cab, long bed, 300i6, manual 3 speed
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Yet another guy from Colorado

Steam Power
Forgot to mention, this isn't my first F-150...  I had a 1991 shortbed for several years which was my favorite truck ever.  But I had to get rid of it in a hurry, and I still regret it.  But "Old Blue" (the previous owner's name for my new truck) already feels like family too.
1985 F-150 4x4
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
In reply to this post by Steam Power
Welcome Ian!  

I sometimes refer to Dave G's 300 project as 'the Garbage Truck'  😁
Even though it's a beautiful reimagining of what a Flareside could be for him.

I like to see that some of us can still look at an older pickup as a useful implement.
 Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Too much other stuff to mention.
Reply | Threaded
|

FuzzFace2
Welcome Ian

Yes I bought my 81 flare side to haul the weekly trash to the dump.
Thing is as soon as I got it home and checked it out a little better I ripped it apart and did a cab off frame rebuild.
From this

To this in 4 years almost to the day

and loaded with some trash LOL

Dave ----
Dave G.
81 F100 flare side 300 six / AA OD / NP435 / 2.75 gear
http://cars.grantskingdom1.com/index.php/1980-Ford-F100?page=1
81 F100 style side 300 six/SROD parts truck -RIP
http://cars.grantskingdom1.com/index.php/1981-Ford-F100
Reply | Threaded
|

grumpin
Welcome!
Dane
1986 F250HD SC XLT Lariat 4x4 460 C6-Sold
1992 Bronco XLT 4x4 351W E4OD
1998 GMC Sierra SLE K1500 350 4L60E
Arizona
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Welcome, Ian!  Glad you joined.  

Love the name Ian.  It is my favorite grandson's name.  Come to think of it, he's my only grandson.  

Where in NW NM?  Around Farmington?  I ask because we have a map (Bullnose Forum/Member's Map in the menu) and we can add you with a city or zip.
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

Steam Power
Not in any town, I live way out in the tumbleweeds.  But my mail comes from Aztec, so I guess you could stick the pin there.  Or in Durango, that's where I work.  Either or.

It's funny, I think the whole time I was growing up I met just one other kid named Ian.  Now the name is pretty common.  Guess maybe it skipped a generation.

1985 F-150 4x4
Reply | Threaded
|

Steam Power
In reply to this post by FuzzFace2
Wow, that's a real pretty truck.  Looks like you put a lot of time, bread, and effort into it.  I'm glad to see you still haul trash with it.  Like a "useful implement" as Jim called it, and not a pampered princess.

1985 F-150 4x4
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Ok, you are on the map.  And you appear to live very close to where they took us out on a float trip out of Durango.  I know we crossed into NM as I saw the state line sign as they took us back in the van.

But that was 25 years ago or so.  About 1 1/2 years ago my wife and I stayed north of Durango in a B&B for a week.  Road the train one day, shopped in town another day, rented a Jeep in Ouray, etc.  Love that country.  Have ridden the train probably 4 times, been back to Ouray with Big Blue last fall, etc.

As for my Ian, he's half of a set of twins.  His sister's name is Isla.  Not sure why the kids picked those names, but they are pretty cool names.  

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

taskswap
Welcome from Lafayette! I have a buddy who hunts down near Durango so we're in the area about once a year. Maybe I'll find an excuse to drive Rocky down there some day. (Rocky is an '81 F-250 with the same red/white-stripe paint scheme you have but done totally ghetto, with rattle-cans. It's a hunt rig...)
--
1981 F-250 Custom. 6.6L V8, 4 barrel Holley carb, ARA aftermarket A/C.
Reply | Threaded
|

85lebaront2
Administrator
Welcome from the other side of the country, Eastern Shore of Virginia. Nice to see people still appreciate these trucks. I bought Darth from a fellow who bought it to pull a big 5th wheel, to pull our somewhat smaller 5th wheel.

Any special significance in the name Steam Power?
Bill AKA "LOBO" Profile

"Getting old is inevitable, growing up is optional" Darth Vader 1986 F350 460 converted to MAF/SEFI, E4OD 12X3 1/2 rear brakes, traction loc 3:55 gear, 160 amp 3G alternator Wife's 2011 Flex Limited Daily Driver 2009 Flex Limited with factory tow package Project car 1986 Chrysler LeBaron convertible 2.2L Turbo II, modified A413

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
85lebaront2 wrote
Any special significance in the name Steam Power?
From the fact that he works in Durango, I'm going to guess that's with D&RGW.

Reply | Threaded
|

Rembrant
Welcome aboard! Great group here, from all over.

I have to ask, what is the Steam Power name about?...
1994 F150 4x2 Flareside. 5.0 w/MAF, 4R70W, stock.
1984 F150 4X2 Flareside. Mild 302 w/ 5spd. Sold.
1980 F150 4X4 Flareside. 300i6 w/ 5spd. Sold in 2021.
1980 F100 4X2 Flareside. 351w/2bbl w/NP435. Sold in 1995

Reply | Threaded
|

Steam Power
Rembrant wrote
I have to ask, what is the Steam Power name about?...

I wrench on steam locomotives for a living.
1985 F-150 4x4
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Ding, ding, ding!!!  I win!  D&RGW!