Yesterday's Outage & Forum Hosting Plans

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
24 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Yesterday's Outage & Forum Hosting Plans

Nothing Special
A few random thoughts after scanning through this thread.

I always get to this forum on my computer via a bookmark to the forum home page

I've seen the "over capacity" error several times in the past.  It is always in-between successfully accessing pages and almost always the second attempt will be successful

On two different days I got an error (not the "over capacity" but i forget exactly what it said) when I tried getting on.  In hind sight I'm sure the first was the day you said the server was down, and the second was the day you said it was out for a bit.  The first day I retried a time or two and figured something must be down.  I retried a couple times later in the day, but gave up after one failure each time.

Personally I don't need or want an e-mail notifying me when it goes down (or comes back up).  While I certainly enjoy this forum (and thanks for it!), I don't need it.  If it's not available for a while I'll survive.  And I'm old enough that I'm used to not having every possible bit of information available to me at all times, so I'll survive not knowing exactly why it's down too!  Plus I share an e-mail address with my wife, and she's the main user of it.
Bob
Sorry, no '80 - '86 Ford trucks
"Oswald": 1997 F-250HD crew cab short box, 460, E4OD, 4.10 gears
"Pluto": 1971 Bronco, 302, NV3550 5 speed, Atlas 4.3:1 transfer case, 33" tires
"the motorhome": 2015 E-450-based 28' class C motorhome, 6.8L V-10
"the Dodge": 2007 Dodge 2500, 6.7L Cummins
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Sorry for the late response - the server was over capacity.  

Anyway, I fully understand that you don't need notification that the forum is up or down.  And I really understand about the shared email.  Janey and I did that for the longest time - until the traffic from the forum got too onerous for her.  
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

Gsmblue
Do we as members need to contribute some $$ to the cause?
1985.5 F-150 XL Explorer standard cab 5.0 EFI AOD 4x4
Daily Driver. We call her Eunice the Ute.

1982 Bronco XLT Lariat 351W AOD 4x4
Code name Esperanza, or Espy to her friends. Please see my Project thread for the blow by blow.

1984 F-350 XL Centurion crew cab 460 T19 4x4
"Eylza Dual-little"
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Thanks, but no. At present everything is covered. However, the future is uncertain and there may be an opportunity.

My hope is that we get Nabble running on a commercially-managed server. I don’t think that will cost very much, but I don’t know yet.

Thanks again for offering.
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI