Wiring mods on Brutus

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
50 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Wiring mods on Brutus

86 1/2 Brutus
all i really need to know is, does the sub have a right and left input?
Nick and George
1986 1/2  F150 XLT Lariat 4X2  300 Six  - C6 - 3:08 in a 8.8 -  Fully Loaded - 8 Foot Box
Owned since new
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
It has a choice of line in or RCA jacks.

I just got back down.
Let me unpack and I'll go to the barn and take a pic of all the parts I have collected.
 Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Too much other stuff to mention.
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
This post was updated on .
Ok, here's some pics of all the stuff I have to hook it up.
The 'sub' sub has a molex type plug for all inputs and also right and left channels that are banana jack or RCA, IDK.

Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Reply | Threaded
|

old55pete
In reply to this post by 86 1/2 Brutus
On one ocation that the TFI module went out I was in lo range, crawling up a canyon to get the elk I had harvested, in the middle of nowhere in the Little Greys River area north of Alton Wyoming. the other time was on Hwy 17 just short of the Sunset Point rest area at 75 mph after pulling the mountain from Black Canyon City.

thanks for the heads up on the remote kits, I just ordered one.
Steve
86 Bronco, XLT, 5.0 EFI, EEC IV, AOD, IFS, limited slip front and rear, 3.08 gears, Tilt steering, factory AC
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
Cool (literally)

It should make a huge difference in the life expectancy of your TFI..  
 Jim,
Reply | Threaded
|

Rusty_S85
On the dome light delay module I dont know if you know this but theres a module already offered that does the same thing been out for a good 8 years or so now and under $50 for it.

Im looking at getting one for myself, I actually used them at work before, its a 10 second delay when you close the door but if you turn the ignition on the lights fade out and the delay is bypassed.
"Old Blue" - '56 Fairlane Town Sedan - 292-4V, Ford-O-Matic transmission, 3.22:1
'63 Belair 2dr sdn - 283-4V, Powerglide transmission, 4.56:1
'78 Cougar XR7 - 351-2V, FMX transmission, 2.75:1 9inch
"Bruno" - '82 F150 Flareside - 302-2V, C6 transmission, 2.75:1 9inch, 31x10.50-15 BFG KO2
Reply | Threaded
|

Rusty_S85
In reply to this post by ArdWrknTrk
Thats the powered amp sub right?

Im curious what you think of it, I been thinking of getting it for my old AM/FM Stereo unit to splice into to get a bit more bass.
"Old Blue" - '56 Fairlane Town Sedan - 292-4V, Ford-O-Matic transmission, 3.22:1
"Bruno" - '82 F150 Flareside - 302-2V, C6 transmission, 2.75:1 9inch, 31x10.50-15 BFG KO2
Reply | Threaded
|

86 1/2 Brutus
Rusty;  yes i know they are available, the truck came with delay dome light that only last for about 10 seconds or so.  we wanted a longer time so he built the module with spare parts running around the shop.
Nick and George
1986 1/2  F150 XLT Lariat 4X2  300 Six  - C6 - 3:08 in a 8.8 -  Fully Loaded - 8 Foot Box
Owned since new
Reply | Threaded
|

86 1/2 Brutus
In reply to this post by ArdWrknTrk
Jim;  not much going to happen with brutus tomorrow.  I found out what most of my exhaust problem was.  a busted manifold.  it's cracked in many places and where the intake mounts to it, the bolts were literally broken off  so i ordered a new manifold.

ill get in the truck and take pics tomorrow and give you an idea of what to do

george
Nick and George
Owned since new
Reply | Threaded
|

86 1/2 Brutus
i have those polk speakers in the doors of the ranchero.  Love them
Nick and George
Owned since new
Reply | Threaded
|

Rusty_S85
Nice.  I dont think I would need more than 10 seconds.  I was thinking of either redoing my alarm myself or trying to get my current one working right again, I want my setup to be like a new vehicle where interior lights and exterior lights come on when unlocked.  Then I want to tie in maybe some of those led KC rock crawler accent light pods to light up around the truck.

I know I wont need it much but it would be a great benefit when I get in my truck at the family reunion I go to every year, its pitch black and if you drop something on the ground next to the truck good luck finding it cause its lost unless you carry a flashlight.

Im also playing around with the idea of those KC pod lights that they suggestion you can use under hood, thinking of looking up how to make a mercury switch and have those pod lights for my underhood light.  I thought of trying to use the troubleshooting light I have but not sure if it will ever provide me enough light nor do I think it would look good with the ABS hood insulation I keep looking at with the Ford oval embossed into it.
Reply | Threaded
|

86 1/2 Brutus
we still haven't decided what kind of alarm we are going to use yet
Nick and George
Owned since new
Reply | Threaded
|

86 1/2 Brutus
that pod light thing sounds interesting
Nick and George
Owned since new
Reply | Threaded
|

Rusty_S85
I got a old Prestige one that still works just cant find a wiring schematic for it, the light circuit went away so the alarm goes off but no lights interior or exterior.

Its why I am considering a newer alarm especially if I could find one that had BCM like control where lights will come on when hitting unlock and remain on for a bit.  The one I have now they would just flash twice and thats it.  Its not really useful for me when I am in total pitch blackness with no street lights but it doesnt matter in the city where there is lighting.

Id even consider keeping the alarm I have and having some kind of delay module even to wire in-line with the alarm and the light circuit to get the same function.  Just dont know what this kind of setup is called so not sure how one could wire it up to get the function I would want.

I may be able to figure out wiring but I am not good with circuit boards or doing super complex circuits so I cant devise stuff like this on my own.

I would be doing good if I could figure a way to use one relay for low and high beam for my headlight relay circuit on my truck cause I sure could use the freed up relay spot for roll bar lights if I add them at a later date.  But I cant even devise a way to use a 30A five pin relay to function like that properly.
Reply | Threaded
|

Rusty_S85
Ive been thinking on it for a while now.  They are the Cyclone LED lights they are round not really called pod lights but I call them pod lights.

https://www.kchilites.com/cyclone-led-2-light-universal-under-hood-lighting-kit-kc-355.html

I think they would look great in conjunction with the LMC Ford Oval ABS insulation kit.  Could cut holes in it and mount the lights on the back side so the lights are actually flush with the ABS plastic and the wiring can be hidden all the way to where the OE wire jumpers from the hood to the cowl region.

These are the other pod lights that I want to get to use along the pinch weld of the cab to illuminate right at the doors on both sides.

https://www.kchilites.com/cyclone-led-6-light-universal-rock-light-kit.html

The rock light kit is pricy but you can piece it together yourself.  You can buy the Cyclone light pods individually at $28.99 a piece and I figure two on each side would be all I need as they emit quite a bit of light.  Wouldnt need to do like off road people do that uses them along the front to rear to light around the truck.  I dont need that, I just like the idea of having some lights that will illuminate the ground by the doors in the off chance you drop something in pitch blackness when you are outside of city limits.
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
I'm sorry to hear Brutus has a broken manifold.
I'm sure you two will set him right, soon as the parts come in.

Cool
I'm glad you think those speakers are worthwhile.
I have Boom Mats for them and the Alpines as well.

Tomorrow I HOPE to pull the seat out and insulate the floor, firewall, cowl and back wall of the cab.
I don't have one of those mass dampers I've seen bolted to the wall on later trucks.

Can there ever be TOO much foil/foam/mass padding installed?
I can't imagine there's any such thing as being too isolated from road noise.
A cab is not a concert hall where the acoustics are too bright or too desd, right?
 Jim,
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
With all the glass and plastic, the answer is "NO" on the "too dead" question.  "Too bright" is an emphatic "YES!".
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
NOW I know why those furry dashboards were a thing back in the day.    

Jim,
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Don't forget the shag carpet!
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

86 1/2 Brutus
you can never have to much insulution Jim.  Under brutis carpet in addition to the factory pad, i have carpet underlayment and the doors are lined with it as well.  Carpet underlayment is my go to for just about everything, it makes everything quiet and is  In my opinion anyway, the best speaker insulation you can get.
Nick and George
Owned since new