Wiring harness for 1985 F150 EFI 5.0 with MAP sensor

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
42 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Wiring harness for 1985 F150 EFI 5.0 with MAP sensor

NotEnoughTrucks
Send me an email with your address. I used Canada Post Parcel with Gary. If Bill has one closer to you, shipping may be easier and cheaper. I'll get a pic of what I have here later today. The EFI harness is quite easily separated from the rest of the wiring in these trucks. Sort of like an add on for lack of a better description. The rest of my Frankentruck had been well butchered by the time I got it. I replaced the EFI portion myself just to get it running. Do you need the harness for lights and other vehicle functions as well?
Reply | Threaded
|

sgauvry
In reply to this post by Gary Lewis
Steven A. Gauvry - 1985 F150 5.0 EFI
Reply | Threaded
|

sgauvry
In reply to this post by NotEnoughTrucks
Wow!  Amazing!!

The harness for lights and other functions wouldn't hurt as I am hoping to be able to refurbish all that's on the frame, body, and so forth.  I'll get you my email and address.  Please indicate all costs, including shipping and I can decide if I can afford everything and move on from there.  Thanks!!
Reply | Threaded
|

NotEnoughTrucks
Well, it was a rainy December day in Saskatchewan. Can't say that often, usually we are well into the deep freeze at this time of year.

Here's a pic of the 86 EFI wiring harness in all it's glory. Sorry for the bad lighting, days are getting short here.

It's in pretty good shape, but the sub harness for the injectors looks like somebody retaped it and poorly. I could clean this up with some new loom if you want.

The rest of the truck wiring does appear to split left and right and it originated from the dash. Pics of the old cab from my Frankentruck. I have not yet stripped it down completely, but with this nice weather, that could be easily accomplished tomorrow.

Everything worked in this truck. Looks like there is not a lot for cut or broken wires, but the taping and general weathering may leave something to be desired. I probably have enough parts around to make this pretty much like new. I have not had a good look under the dash yet, but it appears to be unmolested.

Reply | Threaded
|

NotEnoughTrucks
Gary, we gotta do what we gotta do to keep these bullnoses running! I've been hoarding this stuff for quite a while and it seems like after 30 years, the parts are coming into short supply.

Thanks to you of course for making this resource available!
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Ray - I'm providing the venue.  You guys are doing all the good work.  
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

PetesPonies
Gary, I think you are 100% correct in what the name should be  . . . . .
Pete's Ponies
Mustang RUSToration & Performance

1982 F100 Flareside
1983 Bronco

Reply | Threaded
|

sgauvry
Hi Ray -

Thanks for the photo.  It's a bit hard to see everything and I have a few questions about the harness.  

Does it have the following connectors:
coil
egr
iac
tps
engine cooling temp sensor
MAP
TFI
Ignition relay connectors
Fuel pump relays
oil pressure sensor connector

Are the fuel injector connectors in good shape?

Are there any broken connectors?

Sorry for the questions and in no way do I want to appear ungrateful. However, if the harness doesn't match what I need it doesn't make sense to proceed.  

I do appreciate your efforts to help!

Reply | Threaded
|

85lebaront2
Administrator
If you need any of the connectors, I have a large number of them I have salvaged, cleaned and sorted so that is not a problem. One item I will warn you about on those engines, actually all 5.0L EFI trucks. In order to replace the engine (injector) harness the plenum (top half) of the intake needs to be removed. In order to do this, first there is a Torx head bolt in the center of the right (passenger) side that is only easily removed with a special long Torx socket, second, the EGR pipe on the 5.0L comes out of the crossover passage under the plenum and is very fragile.

If there is any question on the condition of the throttle position sensor and the small coolant hoses, this is the time to replace them. If you need the TPS, I hope you can find a Motorcraft one, aftermarket ones generally will not work correctly on this early system due to the need to adjust the throttle idle position by the TPS voltage rather than rpm.
Bill AKA "LOBO" Profile

"Getting old is inevitable, growing up is optional" Darth Vader 1986 F350 460 converted to MAF/SEFI, E4OD 12X3 1/2 rear brakes, traction loc 3:55 gear, 160 amp 3G alternator Wife's 2011 Flex Limited Daily Driver 2009 Flex Limited with factory tow package Project car 1986 Chrysler LeBaron convertible 2.2L Turbo II, modified A413

Reply | Threaded
|

sgauvry
Thanks,  85lebaront2!

I have removed the plenum before, in fact, the entire engine.  I have the Torx socket along with a socket extension that makes the screw removal a breeze. Presently, I've got an oil leak that is severe, meaning that oil is leaking either from the rear main and/or the oil pan and possibly the valve covers. It's so bad that it smokes in the engine compartment when the oil hits the headers.  So, I'll be removing the engine again, much to my shagrin.  However, removal may present an opportunity to streamline things a bit with regard to the harness.  I'll also replace all hoses and vacuum lines.  Unfortunately, vacuum lines from Advance auto and other such places are crappy and degrade rather quickly.  Any recommendations on a place to buy GOOD vacuum lines are welcome.

I am considering sending the throttle body out for a go over.  The place I have in mind resets the throttle screw to its factory settings.  The TPS is a Motorcraft and fairly new as is the IAC.  So I should be ok there. I understand the difficulties with the TPS, but am hopeful a factory adjustment is all that I will need.  

I do have some new injector connectors if I need them, but am interested in other connectors you may have that will function well.    

I am also interested in fuel line recommendations.  The original fuel lines are heat treated onto the fuel rail and a pain in the rear to remove.  I previously removed those and replaced them with standard fuel lines from Advanced Auto.  No too certain I like those except I have no apparent fuel leaks.  I've never tested the fuel pressure.  The fuel pressure regulator is relatively new and a Motorcraft.  

Possibly, there are other configurations I can use to update the fuel rail and if anyone knows of any, I am open to suggestions.

I appreciate the power of this forum and the assistance both in knowledge and in materials.  It was not expected, but certainly appreciated and an overwhelming surprise!
Reply | Threaded
|

85lebaront2
Administrator
This post was updated on .
Steven, let me look at the hoses I bought for my LeBaron turbo fuel system, it runs 55 psi at no vacuum and rises to 70 at 15 psi boost. I will get the information and the clamps I am using along with anything else. Hose is to SAE spec 30R9 and I ordered it from Amazon along with the full circle clamps (not worm clamps). These are the clamps I ordered: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0040CU0HM/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
And this is the hose: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B06Y2D4BQP/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1 The hose is showing as out of stock, but it may be back in later. A good parts store should carry it, it is expensive but well worth it. You also need to make sure this government mandated crap we have for gas won't degrade it. Fuel system, on the truck there is a reservoir on the frame behind the high pressure pump, in the 1985.5/1986 trucks it has a paper element fuel filter inside it, Fram makes a replacement so you might want to change that while you are doing all the other work.

On the vacuum lines, if someone has an unmolested set for the engine and can carefully package them so they arrive undamaged might be the best bet. If you look in the "for sale" section, I have a set of the vacuum valves for the 1985.5-1986 5.0L EFI I had gotten for my son's 1986 F150 and we never needed them, one of the lines had cracked and I carefully put it together with a short piece of the correct color heat shrink tubing. It however stays stationary and doesn't move. AutoZone used to carry rolls of black hard plastic vacuum tubing.

I have never messed with the end connections between my 460 fuel rails, never had a problem with them.
Bill AKA "LOBO" Profile

"Getting old is inevitable, growing up is optional" Darth Vader 1986 F350 460 converted to MAF/SEFI, E4OD 12X3 1/2 rear brakes, traction loc 3:55 gear, 160 amp 3G alternator Wife's 2011 Flex Limited Daily Driver 2009 Flex Limited with factory tow package Project car 1986 Chrysler LeBaron convertible 2.2L Turbo II, modified A413

Reply | Threaded
|

NotEnoughTrucks
In reply to this post by sgauvry

Hi Steven,

Sorry for the drop and run response here, but it's been a bit of a hectic week.

Here are some more detailed pics of the harness. It should be an exact duplicate of what you have and you may see some minor damage and bundling issues. I could deal with this before I send it. I do have a few connectors on hand and I would clean it anyways before I send it.

I will disconnect the ignition coil as it is bulky and heavy enough to add extra cost to the postage. You may also notice the fuel injector connectors are actually a separate harness. Possibly yours is still usable? This one is OK, but has some taping issues.

I will pull the remainder of the harness out in the next few days. It becomes the dash wiring harness and splits to the L and R sides of the engine compartment. Again, some weathered connectors under the hood and some taping issues, but it does look to be  in unmolested condition.

Back to work now!
Reply | Threaded
|

sgauvry
Ray - That all looks pretty good!  Thanks for providing better photos.

Do you think the connector is the same as mine - the number of pins, wires running to the correct spots to match my ECM, ect? It's my understanding that different ECM's have different pin placement.  

I'm interested in making this purchase, but just want to nail down some of the specifics.  

I'll also make one modification on it.  I've moved my TFI module off of the distributor.  I have the module mounted inside a heat sink which is then mounted near the driver side headlight.  I'll swap that out and add extensions once I get it.  I did so to remove the TFI module away from the excessive heat, thereby prolonging its life.  

Thanks!!
Reply | Threaded
|

85lebaront2
Administrator
Steven, there are only two different connectors a 60 pin one for EEC-IV, and 104 pin for EEC-V.
Bill AKA "LOBO" Profile

Reply | Threaded
|

NotEnoughTrucks
In reply to this post by sgauvry
Yes, this should be exactly the same as what you have. Like Bill says, only two different types of connectors and all the 85/86 trucks are EECIV, so 60 pin connector. The pinouts themselves will not vary within the 85/86 truck application, but there were differences in other models. SEFI vs. batch fire, electronic transmission control and MAF vs SD come to mind, but none of this would apply to an 85/86 EFI 5.0 truck.

Of course, the EVTM is right here should you need to trace any pinouts.

http://www.garysgaragemahal.com/1986-evtm.html
Reply | Threaded
|

sgauvry
In reply to this post by 85lebaront2
Cool!
Reply | Threaded
|

85lebaront2
Administrator
Gee, I wonder where that EVTM came from??
Bill AKA "LOBO" Profile

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
85lebaront2 wrote
Gee, I wonder where that EVTM came from??
Some old man I know.  

Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

sgauvry
I saw the harness you created on Ford Enthusiast Forum.  Very nice work! You must have the patience of Job!
Reply | Threaded
|

Slane347
Hey guys, I tried to start a new thread but it wouldn't allow me to. I have an 85 F150 4x4 5.0 EFI. I bought it and it had been sitting in a field for 7 years. Majority of the wiring under the dash is trash, due to rats, not sure that I can even see what goes where to splice wire into it. I got a wiring harness from an 86 f150 with carberated engine from a salvage. Would this be a direct replacement since mine is EFI and the salvaged truck was not?