Wiring gauge recommendation

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
10 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Wiring gauge recommendation

rust&crust
Okay guys I have a 1985 F250 single cab long bed dual tank  460 carbureted with electric fuel pumps in the tank the wiring is a complete disaster from the relays all the way to the pumps which don't work ( has crudely mounted frame pump) ! I want to rewire the entire fuel pump harness from the relays back to the rear tank ..... I have been pouring over the wiring diagrams and I want to replace the wiring with color correct wires what gauge wire would you guys recommend mind you it will be running a fuel pump that is 10 feet from the relay .
And in case you're wondering I need a brown /white stripe....solid  red both power wires....sending unit wires yellow /blue stripe stripe..&yellow/white stripe
84 p.o.s f150 dark brown 300 six granny 4 speed daily
94 work truck f350 white crew cab 460 e40d single wheel
74 mercury monterey 4 door daily driver
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Wiring gauge recommendation

Gary Lewis
Administrator
First, on our Resources page there's a link to 4RCUSTOMS, who say they have all the wire colors.

As for the wire sizes, I'm going to guess that Ford used 14 gauge wire for the fuel pumps and 16 gauge or 18 gauge for the sending units.  But that's just a guess.  However, in a couple of days I could try to measure an extra harness I have - if you still need me to do so.
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

Rembrant
In reply to this post by rust&crust
I will be starting the disassembly of an 85 F150 with electric feul pumps tomorrow, so I'll try to remember to check the wire gauges for you.
1994 F150 4x2 Flareside. 5.0 w/MAF, 4R70W, stock.
1984 F150 4X2 Flareside. Mild 302 w/ 5spd. Sold.
1980 F150 4X4 Flareside. 300i6 w/ 5spd. Sold in 2021.
1980 F100 4X2 Flareside. 351w/2bbl w/NP435. Sold in 1995

Reply | Threaded
|

rust&crust
The listings I am seeing on eBay for color coded wiring is 20 gauge is that to thin ? And where or  what type of biz would you recommend I look locally for that might have color coded wires .
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
I think 20 ga is too small.  Ford used smaller wire than I'm comfortable with, but I think 20 is much smaller than needed.  If 4RCustoms doesn't have it then I'd start searching via Google.  When I needed a red wire w/a specific stripe for Big Blue I found it via a Google search.  Turned out it was available via Amazon from K4 Auto & Marine.

But perhaps someone else will know another place?

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

vjsimone
In reply to this post by rust&crust
You can get your Pink/Black here;

https://www.sherco-auto.com/striped-tracer-wire.html

And your Yellow/White here;

https://4rcustomswire.com/products/16-gauge-gxl-wire-individual-yellow-striped-color-and-size-options
Vinny... "Do All Scheduled Maintenance Prior To Troubleshooting" "Resolve All Known Issues Prior To Troubleshooting"
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Vinny - Do you have good sources for the various colors?  We need to put together a list for them as many of us would like to use the correct wire colors.  So, if you have good sources then could you put together a list of what you know?  And I can put it in Resources or somesuch.

Reply | Threaded
|

Steve83
Banned User
Parts stores usually have solid-color wire:

I buy striped US-made wire on eBay & Amazon - search for "striped automotive wire".  Junkyards are also good sources for quality wire with the correct colors...

For the fuel pump power circuits, I wouldn't use smaller than 14ga.

Reply | Threaded
|

rust&crust
Thank you guys I will look up the places you guys suggested I started going over the birds nest of wiring today it's a real mess I think the fuel pump relay is bad the previous owners have a aftermarket fuel pump hooked to the wire coming from tank selector switch and there was a hose clamp missing on a fuel line glad I hadn't tried driving it yet !!
Reply | Threaded
|

Steve83
Banned User
rust&crust wrote
...I think the fuel pump relay is bad...
In any case, it should be replaced with the later Bosch/ISO/Tyco style of relay as this & the NEXT few captions explain: