Assigned: C.Jett at priority
(Normal)
20 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Wiring HEI Distributor 85 4.9 L

C.Jett
Ordered relay and pig tail recommended, I don’t think the pig tail is correct. It came as follows : 30 red 14 ga, 85 black 16 ga, 86 white 16 ga, 87 red 14 ga,and 87a yellow 14 ga. Gary can you tel me if this is correct? Thanks CJ
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Wiring HEI Distributor 85 4.9 L

Gary Lewis
Administrator
I'm not sure what you mean about the pigtail being correct.  Are you working off the diagram on the right?  The colors there don't mean anything, it is just the connection #'s in the relay that matter.  Each vendor has their own colors on a relay socket and there doesn't seem to be any consistency.

Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

C.Jett
So, you can use 12ga from Batt to 14ga pigtail at relay?  In my simple mind, that’s like bolting down a 12” I beam in a building with a 1/4” bolt? Well maybe a 3/8” bolt. Is it ok?  Thanks, CJ
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
It isn't ideal.  But you only have maybe 8" of 14 ga vs several feet of 12 ga, so it'll work.  However, I'd keep the pigtail leads as short as is reasonably possible.

The WireBarn calculator says that at 14v and 30 amps, which is the rating of the relay contacts, 1' of 14 gauge will give you 13.7243V at the end and 1' of 12 ga will give you 13.7524V.  So very little difference.

Fortunately the current to the HEI electronics is very limited in time as it is used to charge the system before each plug fires.  So there's relatively high current for a short period and then very little current until after that plug fires.  That means that the wire has time to cool so heating isn't a problem.

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

C.Jett
The pigtail came with only 5” of wire, so I will Mount it under the Dashboard. Would you comment on my other post about kickdown rod? Many Thanks Gary, CJ
Reply | Threaded
|

85lebaront2
Administrator
In reply to this post by Gary Lewis
Gary, FWIW, Bosch lists the NO contact (87) at 40 amps, NC (87a) at 30 amps.

In dealing with Lucas equipment, they released a "Constant Energy" replacement for the old Opus (Oscillating Pick Up System) that is a small aluminum box with GM HEI module in it. There was no need for any wiring change other than eliminating the ballast resistor when replacing the Opus system. It came with a new distributor with what appeared to be a Chrysler magnetic pickup and the HEI module in a nice case that was installed under the coil using longer bolts. I would not be surprised if a DS-II distributor would trigger the HEI module and a later TFI coil would work. The smaller GM engines used an external coil HEI as there wasn't room for the huge cap and coil assembly. These also didn't have the huge power feed wire which leads me to believe that the coil is the power hog.
Bill AKA "LOBO" Profile

"Getting old is inevitable, growing up is optional" Darth Vader 1986 F350 460 converted to MAF/SEFI, E4OD 12X3 1/2 rear brakes, traction loc 3:55 gear, 160 amp 3G alternator Wife's 2011 Flex Limited Daily Driver 2009 Flex Limited with factory tow package Project car 1986 Chrysler LeBaron convertible 2.2L Turbo II, modified A413

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
CJ - I've not had the Carter 1bbl so don't really know.  Bill would be better to answer that than I would.

Bill - Does the rating vary by the product?  This Bosch unit from Amazon says "30A" on it.

Reply | Threaded
|

85lebaront2
Administrator
The ones I normally use do not have the tab on them. I just sent you a Bosch catalog for your information/perusal.
Bill AKA "LOBO" Profile

"Getting old is inevitable, growing up is optional" Darth Vader 1986 F350 460 converted to MAF/SEFI, E4OD 12X3 1/2 rear brakes, traction loc 3:55 gear, 160 amp 3G alternator Wife's 2011 Flex Limited Daily Driver 2009 Flex Limited with factory tow package Project car 1986 Chrysler LeBaron convertible 2.2L Turbo II, modified A413

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Got the file, Bill. Thanks.

Interesting. The part number for the relay I posted above is 0 332 019 150. And that catalog says the maximum normally-open resistive load is 40A in spite of the relay itself showing 30A.

I’m thinking I should add that document to the site. Thoughts?

Reply | Threaded
|

C.Jett
In reply to this post by 85lebaront2
Bill, would you check my posts “, Revised Question” and kickdown rod? I need your input. Thanks CJ
Reply | Threaded
|

85lebaront2
Administrator
In reply to this post by Gary Lewis
It might not be a bad idea as just about anything with a relay uses them. The PDC I used in the konvertible has 4 of the big ones and a bunch of the smaller ones. My power seat update uses 6 smaller ones under the seat.
Bill AKA "LOBO" Profile

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Done: Documentation/Electrical/Relays.

Reply | Threaded
|

C.Jett
In reply to this post by 85lebaront2
Bill, this is what I found when I removed tape and sorted wires. The wire that goes thru firewall, goes to a relay with white/lb and comes out white/lb to switch? Red wire is not hooked up. Got photos out of order. I don’t know how it even works, but it runs good. The white/lb in the fender harness goes thru firewall at drivers side of master cylinder. Which wires do I delete? I know it’s a loaded question, when and if you have the time, please walk me through it. Thank You CJ
Reply | Threaded
|

85lebaront2
Administrator
What you need is this: Coming out of your ignition switch are two ignition feed wires, a brown with a pink from terminal I2 and a red with light green from terminal I1.

When turning on the ignition, when you reach the run position, terminal I1 is connected to the battery, turning the key further opens that connection and connects terminal I2 to the battery. Inside the harness is a resistance wire, 1.1 +/- .05 ohm wire. For the purpose of operating a relay, I do not believe it will make much if any difference. From a splice in the harness, a white with light blue hash wire is fed from terminal I1 when in run and the red with light green is powered in start. Ford used the resistor for the DS-II and bypassed it in the TFI harness.

If the old factory coil connector is still there it will have a red/light green and white/light blue hash wire. This is a good place to pick up the trigger for a relay and the stud on the front side of the driver's firewall is a large battery feed that can be used to connect to pin 30 of the Bosch relay with pin 87 powering the HEI system.
Bill AKA "LOBO" Profile

Reply | Threaded
|

C.Jett
Bill, the existing relay, under dash, has a 10 or 12ga yellow wire to batt+ on starter relay with fusible link, and a black wire to batt - . There is also a white/lb to relay that makes a loop thru firewall on each side of master cyl. This wire has insulation removed and a white/lb wire twisted on and run to Dist. There is also a brown wire, didn’t see any pink, twisted at same place and run thru firewall. I will have to remove fuse box to chase it down. (See photos) Will install new relay and use the yellow wire w/30a fuse to pin 30 - The black wire will go to pin 86 - New red 12ga wire to pin 87 - white/lb to pin 85 - Does this brown wire go to pin 85 also? Thanks CJ
Reply | Threaded
|

C.Jett
Bill, would you check my Aug 6 post? Thanks CJ
Reply | Threaded
|

85lebaront2
Administrator
In reply to this post by C.Jett
From your description it sounds like it is wired to power the relay in "start" and "run" and the relay is providing a low resistance feed to the HEI system. Other than the lack of a shell on the relay and the twist connections it sounds like what I would do to power an HEI system reliably.
Bill AKA "LOBO" Profile

Reply | Threaded
|

C.Jett
Thanks Bill, that’s the way I will go, just needed your opinion. CJ
Reply | Threaded
|

C.Jett
Bill, finally got it wired up. I swear it runs better and cranks great. “Lord Mr. Ford” power steering reservoir started leaking. 38 yr old o’rings will be replaced tomorrow. CJ
Reply | Threaded
|

85lebaront2
Administrator
Sounds good!
Bill AKA "LOBO" Profile