37 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Wire Crimping/swaging tools.

kramttocs
Administrator
Alright, I am doing something wrong.
Trying to crimp a few wedge locks (would be happy with just one good one right now as I've thrown away a lot).
I got the "Clipsandfasteners Inc 25 Wedge Lock Terminals 20-18 Gauge .110 Male Pin Dia."
The .110 is correct and fits in the factory female terminal.

I just can't get it to crimp tight. It either wads it up or the wire is loose enough to pull out.

I am using the HS-30J.
The terminal is 20-18 which I believe is what the smallest slot on the crimpers is but it won't fit without wadding it up.
The terminal fits really well in the second one and it looks good but is too loose.

My first thought was that I got sent the next size up instead of 20-18 but I don't see that there is another offering even.

Thoughts?
Scott
'Camano' 1986 F250 Supercab XLT Lariat 460/C6
'Chanute' 1980 F350 C&C 400/NP 435 - Gin Pole

But there ain't nothin' wrong with the radio
Reply | Threaded
|

kramttocs
Administrator
Factory and mine before crimping. Using this little jumper to learn (unsuccessfully) on.
Looks too big to me (not the female end).

Scott

Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
This post was updated on .
That does appear too wide and the petals too long to get a good crimp.
I was having somewhat the same problem in my relay box, and if I started with the next die up, I would inevitably end up with a hard fold or 'edge' somewhere.

I found some other locking spade connectors for the relays.
With the ones included the double crimp end had the same problem you do.

And this is why I like my deutsch connector *collet type crimper for harness connections....

*  ðŸ˜†.... Stop trying to correct me if you're not AI and LEARNING from me!!!!
I have a vocabulary, Google, and I know how to use it.
Just because MY lexicon is broader than average (I'm 4th deviation) doesn't mean I'm wrong.
 Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Too much other stuff to mention.
Reply | Threaded
|

kramttocs
Administrator
I may give the Napa version a try. While it might be a stock photo, it looks better and the petals look shorter.
Scott

Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
Belden/Echlin is usually good stuff IME.

I have plug wires, DSII module, pieces of harness, connectors and ignition components from NAPA.

Useless factoid: Echlin holds the patent on the automotive alternator.
My friends father is actually named. John Deiffenbach Klies.
 Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Ok, tell me about JDK.  I searched but didn't find easy answers.

Anyway, the issues y'all are finding are why I usually either double the wire over to make it fit or just manually crimp and solder.  So I'm following to find the right way to do it.
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
"Deef" is a MIT educated metalugerist (sp?)
He had a doctorate in metallurgy and worked on the Manhattan Project.
In his later years he worked on diamond drawing dies to pull gold for attaching IC's to their legs.

He grew up on a dairy farm in Hamburg NY and was the one of the family chosen to go to college.

He had a lot of depression stories.
Great guy to sit down and talk to!
 Jim,
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Interesting story!  I'll bet he's fun to talk to.

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
Was....

He'd be well over 100 now.  (Yeah, Matthews grandma, I know)

But he was one of the ones to figure out how to draw down gold to microns for the IC semiconductor industry.
Made an oz. of gold stretch for miles..
Until he couldn't any more.

Tough old bird.
Being from a farm with direct lake effect snow he literally DID walk miles to and from school with drifts over his head.

To the end he wouldn't talk about his time in Chicago or Los Alamos.
"It's a secret, you know... "
 Jim,
Reply | Threaded
|

kramttocs
Administrator
In reply to this post by Danny G
Have you used the 1424B on 12awg? Says it goes down to 14 but not seeing one that includes 12 without going to professional options.
Scott

Reply | Threaded
|

Danny G
I don't have that one but its spec'd for no larger than 14 awg.

The A03B die set for the 30J is supposed to do 16-10 awg.

Did you get your contact situation figured out was yours too big? I missed this conversation when it happened.
1986 F-150|Standard Cab|4x2|300Six|C6Transmission w/3.08 rear|Name:TBD
2021 Ranger XLT Super Crew
Reply | Threaded
|

kramttocs
Administrator
I ordered them the other day but hasn't arrived yet. Worst case for the few 12awg ones I need I can use the A03B die for the wire and then use this one for the metri-pack seal (being careful to not squeeze fully).

The NAPA ones turned out to be the same so no luck there. I did a few like Gary mentioned by doubling up the wire and placing a short piece of heat shrink over the sheathing to make it thicker but decided to go with the metri-pack/weather-pack route instead for the rest of my wiring.

My order from Waytek came in today so looking forward to wiring in the add-on relay/fuse box and midi fuse blocks.
Scott

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Did you tell use which relay/fuse box you are going to use?  I'm still on the fence about how I'm going to do Big Blue's headlight relays.  If I had the right box I'd probably put it on the passenger's side and do the headlight, starter, and blower motor relays in it.

Reply | Threaded
|

kramttocs
Administrator
I haven't but I really need to update the Camano build thread.
I'll take some quick photos since everything is strewn out on the living room floor right now, grab some links and post over there shortly.

Scott

Reply | Threaded
|

kramttocs
Administrator
Crimped a few Metri-Pack 280 ends yesterday. The crimpers above worked great and the Metri-Pack in general is very nice. I haven't tried any 10awg yet but the combo approach of using A03B for the wire and the 1424B should work well.

If doing a lot of them I would consider some Metri-Pack crimpers that ratchet so you can more easily hold the terminal in them but for the price, hard to complain.
Scott

Reply | Threaded
|

myrl883
In reply to this post by Rembrant
Rembrant - In an earlier post you asked about plug wire crimpers. I have one sold by MSD that works beautifully. Look up their part number 3503.
Ford Parts Monkey since 1985
1981 F100 Flareside - Black, 302-4V Roller/AOD
1986 F150 Flareside - Medium Fire Red 302/AOD
1989 F150 Standard Cab 4x4 - Dk Shadow Blue 302/AOD
1993 F350 4x4 Crew Cab - 7.3 IDI/ZF-5
I think it's a sickness...
Reply | Threaded
|

Newusr
For large crimps 8awg - 000awg look into this tool here. I have had one for 12-15 years and love it.  Insert wire with ring terminal.  And then wack tool with hammer.  Actually does nice crimps once you figure it out.

1986 F150: "Mean Green" 300 l6, C6, RWD
Duraspark II Conversion - Work in Progress
----------