Winterizing

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
6 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Winterizing

Fordboy300
So tell me guys what do you to get your trucks for the winter season.  

I want to get my 86 f250 going again ever since I got my highlander I would drive that and it's great and all but there's nothing like driving a old truck in the winter and Old Blue is a beast in the snow.  I kinda gave the f250 to my dad but only really uses it to get his horses water. (Hauls a big water tank)

I've been really interested on spraying the frame with some kind of oil spray.  My buddy told me to use a 50 50 mix used motor oil and acetone or mineral spirits to keep the salt off.  I live in northern Illinois so it get pretty bad here and sometime they go overboard with salt here.  

"Big Red" 1986 Ford F150 XL

Ford 300 i6 4.9L  .20 over bore(303 cubic inches now), p&p head, Crower 19212 cam, crower lifter spring kit, cloyes timing gears, EFI manifolds, Offenhauser C-series, Edelbrock 500cfm, DUI Ignition Dizzy, dual in single out magnaflow exhaust dumped before the rear axle.  
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Winterizing

Gary Lewis
Administrator
I sprayed FluidFilm on portions of Big Blue’s frame and underbody, and have been surprised by how well it sticks and penetrates.

In fact, it made its way through the body putty above the wheel wells in the rear!  I sprayed it on the back of the wheel well and it made its way through the cracks in the putty. And it has stuck to the frame tenaciously.
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

Fordboy300
I've heard of that stuff but I asked my friend because he too drives his old dodge during the winter.  

I just wanted to see what my fellow bullnosers did or if they just let there trucks hibernate during the winter.  Which isnt a bad thing I know I dont let Big Red even touch the snow anymore.  

Ford 300 i6 4.9L  .20 over bore(303 cubic inches now), p&p head, Crower 19212 cam, crower lifter spring kit, cloyes timing gears, EFI manifolds, Offenhauser C-series, Edelbrock 500cfm, DUI Ignition Dizzy, dual in single out magnaflow exhaust dumped before the rear axle.  
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
I don't live in an area that gets much snow, but if there's any salt around my Bullnose trucks aren't going out.  Not at all.  The rust-proofing back then was poor.  Almost non-existent.  So I won't risk further damage to them by getting salt on them.

But if we had a snow and I could just go play I would.  

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

Fordboy300
Oh man you havent live until you get a foot of snow and take the truck out and go play the f250 does exceptionally well in the snow it's so much fun.  The 4x4 is great.  

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
I've done that.  About 20 years ago we had a serious storm and got ~18" of snow.  I took Dad's truck out to get my nephew and it did so fantastically well that I told him I wanted the truck when he was done with it.

Years later, he didn't think he was done with it, but we were done with him driving, so we made a deal.