Windshield anodized aluminum trim ....

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
6 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Windshield anodized aluminum trim ....

reamer
I can get a complete set without any dents from a local JY for $20.
In typical 30-year dull finish.
Can they be re-finished/chromed?

1986 F-150 Flareside 4x4, 351, 4-v, ZF5 speed. AC, Cruise, Tilt, Slider, Digital clock, Radio, Lariat seat, Pwr doors/locks
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Windshield anodized aluminum trim ....

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Yes, and no.  Or Jein in German.  They might be able to be chromed, but they weren't chrome to start with.  They are anodized aluminum.

They can be stripped to bare aluminum, and initially they'll look good but you'll have to polish them frequently.  Then you could have them re-anodized.  Or you could have them powder coated clear while polished and that'll last a few years.  Or powder coat them black and create an XLS?
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

kramttocs
Administrator
In reply to this post by reamer
I called around a couple weeks ago and was given the same options as Gary listed. There is a place that can polish them to museum quality but it strips them down and having to maintain them isn't something that I would enjoy for years to come.
I picked up an aluminum polishing kit at HF and played around with a dented piece I had that looked similar to the ones that came off Camano. It made it shine like new. I'd give the $20 dent free set and the $18 kit a shot.

Or you can always go with the $500 nos set on eBay  
Scott
'Camano' 1986 F250 Supercab XLT Lariat 460/C6
'Chanute' 1980 F350 C&C 400/NP 435 - Gin Pole

But there ain't nothin' wrong with the radio
Reply | Threaded
|

reamer
Yea, I knew they were anodized, that's what makes the aluminum "tougher"
Wonder how the original anodizing was done to get such a shine....
1986 F-150 Flareside 4x4, 351, 4-v, ZF5 speed. AC, Cruise, Tilt, Slider, Digital clock, Radio, Lariat seat, Pwr doors/locks
Reply | Threaded
|

Steve83
Banned User
In reply to this post by Gary Lewis
I've never seen or read anything that suggests they were originally anodized.  I figured they were just polished & maybe clearcoated, which is what I'd do if I wanted to restore an old set.  Modern aerosols are much more-durable than when we were young, so I doubt you'd have to re-do it very often to keep them looking the way you want.  But even if it was every year, that's not much work or cost.

Powdercoat (in any color or clear) should last your lifetime.  But the guy who does my powdercoating told me years ago that polished Aluminum usually causes clear powder to fisheye &/or turn milky.  IDK if that's still true.
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
I powder coated my aluminum wheels clear and they came out great, with no fish eyes.  And I've powder coated a couple of pieces of windshield trim black and they didn't twist and deform as I thought they might in the heat.  So I think it is doable.

However, as with all aluminum products, they need to be pre-heated for maybe an hour at 400 degrees to drive off whatever is in/on them or there will be fish eyes.  Been there, done that and it is UGLY!
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI