Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: White smoke.... Oh the joy...

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Thanks for the clarification, Bill.
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

PetesPonies
OK not that way for Mustangs, even SD
Pete's Ponies
Mustang RUSToration & Performance

1982 F100 Flareside
1983 Bronco

Reply | Threaded
|

Gsmblue
I have decided that the white smoke is not a major issue for now. No fluids are being consumed..

I think the problem has been all the short runs I do and the truck not getting up to temperature on these runs that are less than 5 miles.  That combined with temps below freezing.. When I take her on longer runs of 10 miles plus, the smoke clears up...

I will keep hold of the injector and will pull all the injectors when the weather improves, but this will happen after I check all the plugs and do a compression test...

So, on to other issues, like the front windscreen leaking!
1985.5 F-150 XL Explorer standard cab 5.0 EFI AOD 4x4
Daily Driver. We call her Eunice the Ute.

1982 Bronco XLT Lariat 351W AOD 4x4
Code name Esperanza, or Espy to her friends. Please see my Project thread for the blow by blow.

1984 F-350 XL Centurion crew cab 460 T19 4x4
"Eylza Dual-little"
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Sounds like a good plan.  But, I'm not a fan of compression tests.  Do a leak-down test.

On the windscreen leak, if you are looking for a temp fix you can use flowable RTV.  It won't stop rust if it has already started.  But if the problem is just that the sealant has cracked, this this will flow in and seal the cracks.

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

PetesPonies
In reply to this post by Gsmblue
See my leaks I found. My truck was leaking water and it turned out to be multiple places.
Pete's Ponies
Mustang RUSToration & Performance

1982 F100 Flareside
1983 Bronco

Reply | Threaded
|

Gsmblue
Thanks for the advice. I did see your posts on leaks and I am certain I have no real ideal where my leaks are coming from right now!

The plan is to change the windscreen as it is cracked.

Pull the interior as much as possible (in the spring when it is dry) then chase the water leak.

With regards to the compression test/leak test. I need to read up on this stuff too! Thanks for the comment, sounds like I need more tools/widgets!
1985.5 F-150 XL Explorer standard cab 5.0 EFI AOD 4x4
Daily Driver. We call her Eunice the Ute.

1982 Bronco XLT Lariat 351W AOD 4x4
Code name Esperanza, or Espy to her friends. Please see my Project thread for the blow by blow.

1984 F-350 XL Centurion crew cab 460 T19 4x4
"Eylza Dual-little"
Reply | Threaded
|

85lebaront2
Administrator
Mine had no factory sealant in the right side airbox, I discovered that when I was resealing the cowl area. I went out to Darth in a downpour when I had the carpet out and a bare floor, sat there and watched a trail start right up by the junction between the floorpan, firewall and inner side panel and trickle down the seam to the door opening then go right along there and puddle. Explained why I had rust all along that section. When I removed the panel (on a non-A/C truck it will be the vent) and used my phone to take a picture I saw metal with only paint on it, no sealer.
Bill AKA "LOBO" Profile

"Getting old is inevitable, growing up is optional" Darth Vader 1986 F350 460 converted to MAF/SEFI, E4OD 12X3 1/2 rear brakes, traction loc 3:55 gear, 160 amp 3G alternator Wife's 2011 Flex Limited Daily Driver 2009 Flex Limited with factory tow package Project car 1986 Chrysler LeBaron convertible 2.2L Turbo II, modified A413

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Dad's truck had some of the tranny-cover screws missing and others not tightened down properly.  And, this was from the factory as the carpet had never been out.  So, water had been coming in on the right side of the cover, running down between the carpet and floor, and rusting the floor away.  Which explains why you could see the ground when I pulled the carpet.