Which one?

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
10 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Which one?

smitty67
I'm looking to upgrade my fuel delivery system. I have the original EFI on my '86 302 with the upgrades I outlined on my intro on "NEW GUY". I have a question for all of the super intelligent guys here on the forum. I am looking at putting a FiTech GoStreet EFI system on and changing the intake. Do you guys think this is the right one and which intake do you guys recomend for this combination..
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Which one?

85lebaront2
Administrator
I will throw my $0.02 in on this. You have a good solid bottom end, the factory EFI intake is an excellent tuned runner design probably arrived at for peak torque, it just isn't very much of a show piece.

First item, the original control system (MAP sensor) is called a speed density system and does not play well with too much cam duration, I seem to recall that anything over 110° lobe separation doesn't run well. The engine computers on these are not at all forgiving as far as non-stock engines. Ford made a number of improvements starting in 1987, with the 1994 up engines and controls being much more refined. 1994 up systems are mass airflow controlled and are not as sensitive to cam profile changes. Starting in 1996 (last year for the F series 5.0L) the system was changed to an EEC-V from the EEC-IV. From the standpoint of tuning, this was a big step, to conform to EPA requirements, the computer has to be capable of being updated via reflashing through the OBD-II port, this means that with the proper hardware and software the EEC can be "tuned" for changes (even the increased engine displacement is a factor).

I would look for an EEC-V computer for an automatic transmission truck with a 5.0L engine, if you can find one for a C6 it would be very close to what you need since the AOD is a non-electronic transmission. A EEC-V computer is physically the same size as the existing EEC-IV one, it just has 104 pins rather than 60. I also highly recommend relocating the TFI module from the distributor to the left inner fender near the firewall as Ford did starting in 1990.

If you decide to go aftermarket (Fi-tech, Holley) you need to keep in mind that the AOD uses a TV cable or rod depending on fuel system to control the shift points and internal pressure. This is a critical item, as wrong adjustments can burn up a transmission very quickly. Be sure that if you do use one of these, the TV cable provision is there.

Both Gary Lewis and I have 460 EFI engines converted to the rare CA spec Mass Air systems, his engine is non-stock as will be my new one. Both of our trucks are non-catalyst from the factory and originally had 4 barrel Holley emission carburetors.
Bill AKA "LOBO" Profile

"Getting old is inevitable, growing up is optional" Darth Vader 1986 F350 460 converted to MAF/SEFI, E4OD 12X3 1/2 rear brakes, traction loc 3:55 gear, 160 amp 3G alternator Wife's 2011 Flex Limited Daily Driver 2009 Flex Limited with factory tow package Project car 1986 Chrysler LeBaron convertible 2.2L Turbo II, modified A413

Reply | Threaded
|

smitty67
Any ideas on where I might find the EEC-V?
Reply | Threaded
|

mat in tn
nor vehicle is the most common as you will need the harness and brackets along with the rest of the maf system.
Reply | Threaded
|

mat in tn
donor vehicle!
Reply | Threaded
|

smitty67
So donor truck from 1996 until???????
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
If you want to avoid a significant expense in something like Binary Editor, which cost me ~$600 and lets me make changes to the ECU, then you want a 1996 donor.  As Bill said, that was the last year of the 5.0L and the first of the OBD-II ports in a truck.

But I think I disagree slightly with what Bill said about the transmission.  I think by '96 the C6 was long gone and the available autos were both computer controlled.  So if you find a '96 donor with an auto the computer will not be happy if it doesn't "see" the transmission.  And while you can turn that off with Binary Editor, that requires you to buy that system.  Instead I think you should look for a truck with a manual transmission.

I'm probably 90% done with my EEC-V implementation.  You can see what I've done in Big Blue's Transformation.
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

Rusty_S85
In reply to this post by smitty67
smitty67 wrote
I'm looking to upgrade my fuel delivery system. I have the original EFI on my '86 302 with the upgrades I outlined on my intro on "NEW GUY". I have a question for all of the super intelligent guys here on the forum. I am looking at putting a FiTech GoStreet EFI system on and changing the intake. Do you guys think this is the right one and which intake do you guys recomend for this combination..
Honestly if it was me and I had all the OE EFI systems on my engine I would look at the Holley Terminator ECM/harness for my application and toss the OE ECM and replace it with a more modern ECM that more people can tune.

Sure the OE ECM is perfectly fine to use but good luck finding someone to tune them, every dyno shop I talked with in a 200 mile radius wont touch a car for a dyno tuning if its carbed or OBDI.  It has to be aftermarket EFI or OBDII for them to even touch it.  Which really limits you on if you plan on making changes here and there and get a new tune.
"Old Blue" - '56 Fairlane Town Sedan - 292-4V, Ford-O-Matic transmission, 3.22:1
'63 Belair 2dr sdn - 283-4V, Powerglide transmission, 4.56:1
'78 Cougar XR7 - 351-2V, FMX transmission, 2.75:1 9inch
"Bruno" - '82 F150 Flareside - 302-2V, C6 transmission, 2.75:1 9inch, 31x10.50-15 BFG KO2
Reply | Threaded
|

85lebaront2
Administrator
In reply to this post by smitty67
EEC-V was introduced with the 1996 model year on all vehicles under 8500 GVWR, over 8500 it wasn't required (like air bags). E, F series and Broncos.

I agree with Gary on using a manual trans EEC for a non-computer transmission like an AOD, the EEC-V can be adjusted to compensate for it. Once I am back to traveling more in Darth, I will carry a pre-flashed EEC-V box with the current tune and a spare TFI module, pretty well everything else can be had in a day or so, like a Fuel Delivery Module and normal tune up parts.
Bill AKA "LOBO" Profile

"Getting old is inevitable, growing up is optional" Darth Vader 1986 F350 460 converted to MAF/SEFI, E4OD 12X3 1/2 rear brakes, traction loc 3:55 gear, 160 amp 3G alternator Wife's 2011 Flex Limited Daily Driver 2009 Flex Limited with factory tow package Project car 1986 Chrysler LeBaron convertible 2.2L Turbo II, modified A413

Reply | Threaded
|

smitty67
In reply to this post by 85lebaront2
So I guess my question now is,is it an either or thing? Either EEC-V and harness off of a donor or a FiTech/Holley after market?