Which carb do I have?

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
4 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Which carb do I have?

brianbronc
I have a 1986 F250 4x4, I6 300, gas truck.

It has been running just fine and has since fallen off.  Dropped rear tank, cleaned it out.  Replaced all fuel lines, new gas pickup in tank and all new fuel filters.

But still runs like timing is off and super rich.  Adjusted timing slightly and seemed to make a big difference, but it is back to running bad.  

Added a 7psi electric fuel pump, thinking manual pump was not working correctly.  Still issue.

Which carb model is this?  Is there a better carb to install?
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Which carb do I have?

Gary Lewis
Administrator
That's the Carter YFA.  The 300 is notorious for shaking the carb loose from its mounts.  And the YFA can spring a leak in the accelerator pump causing it to run very rich.

So my first check would be that the carb isn't ready to fall off, although that isn't likely to cause it to run rich.  The accelerator pump is most likely the culprit.
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
In reply to this post by brianbronc
Oops!  I should have pointed out that you missed the email you were sent asking you to make your first post an introduction and put it in the New Members Start Here folder.  We ask that because we keep the guidelines for the forum in that folder and want to ensure you've seen them.

So before we talk about the carb any more please assure me that you've read the guidelines.  And a post in the NMSH folder would be desirable so we can welcome you.
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

mat in tn
all in all it is a good carb. it is most likely needing a rebuild. if one degradable part has failed others are due to follow. it is the best for your truck unless you do a lot more work.