Where to get new wheels?

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
31 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Where to get new wheels?

Jordanlogo
Anyone change their wheels from the old 16.5” to 16” or 17”?

Where’d you get your wheels?

I know these older trucks used a 8x6.5 bolt pattern, so I’m guessing any wheel with that pattern will fit? I’m finding wheels with an 8x165.1, but not 8x6.5, are these the same?

Anyone know the max size you can go on stock suspension before any rubbing issues?

Thanks!!
Jordan
San Francisco Bay Area

1982 Ford F-250 XL - "Clifford, the Big Red Ford"
5.8L v8 351w T18 4spd Manual
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Where to get new wheels?

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
Not any wheel with 8 on 6 1/2 will fit. You need a large enough opening for the hubs to stick through.
I hear (but do not know) that some Dodge wheels are too tight.
That 165 number is a straight up conversion. No one is measuring wheel stud patterns to 0.0039"

Also, these are lug-centric wheels so they need to take conical nuts.
Or some aluminium "mag" wheels will have bell or shouldered nuts.

250's rub the springs with stock 235 tires.
There's no getting around it unless you go with a rim that has less backspace.
But that brings it's own problems, and TTB is hard enough to get and keep aligned.
 Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Too much other stuff to mention.
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
In reply to this post by Jordanlogo
What kind of wheel are you looking for?
Or.... just steelies like most of these trucks came with?

I replaced a pair of my rims that had wallowed out holes with Wheel Vintiques through Summit's eBay storefront.
They offered free shipping, and were drop shipped from the manufacturer anyhow...

My type 3 wheel covers fit nicely.
 Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Reply | Threaded
|

Jordanlogo
ArdWrknTrk wrote
What kind of wheel are you looking for?
Or.... just steelies like most of these trucks came with?

I replaced a pair of my rims that had wallowed out holes with Wheel Vintiques through Summit's eBay storefront.
They offered free shipping, and were drop shipped from the manufacturer anyhow...

My type 3 wheel covers fit nicely.
I’m ultimately just trying to convert my 16.5s into 16s so I have more access to tires as no one makes 16.5s anymore. Plus, I’d be able to get a better looking tire/better sizes with a 16 than a 16.5.

I want a nice chrome wheel where I can put some beefier tires. I was thinking about this wheel - https://www.wheelvintiques.com/81-series-8-lug-chrome-16x8.html - but I honestly have no idea on what sizes to get. I need someone to pretty much hold my hand and tell me what to get

I’d settle for those steelies, but if anyone has other wheel options I’d be open to that.
Jordan
San Francisco Bay Area

Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
There are choices, as 8 on 6 1/2 was pretty common back in the day.
I am not the one to ask though.

Just keep in mind that an F-250 has the most limited steering lock of any of these trucks because the tires rub the leaf springs.
And the front track is already wider than the rear.
So you can't go to a much wider rim and use increased backset to keep the flange face centered without making the horrible turn radius worse.

I know Anthony just had some spoke wheels refinished for his '88 250 so he probably did all the math to figure out what he could get away with.
Shaun also put some pretty big tires on his truck. He posted a picture of it in the dark the other day.
 Jim,
Reply | Threaded
|

salans7
ArdWrknTrk wrote
Shaun also put some pretty big tires on his truck. He posted a picture of it in the dark the other day.
They are 315/75/16 tires on stock 16x6 wheels, which roughly translates to a 35x12.5 tire. They are a bit wide for a 6" wide wheel, but they were on an old hunting truck, so it really doesn't matter. I won't be running them on the street.

I was surprised to see that the factory wheels were 16's and not 16.5's, but these wheels and tires were on a 1989 F250 HD, which might explain it. I don't know when Ford phased out 16.5" wheels.

Reply | Threaded
|

Jordanlogo
salans7 wrote
They are 315/75/16 tires on stock 16x6 wheels, which roughly translates to a 35x12.5 tire. They are a bit wide for a 6" wide wheel, but they were on an old hunting truck, so it really doesn't matter. I won't be running them on the street.

Thanks for the input!

Is there anyway to check the size of the wheel without actually taking everything off and measuring it?

Also, I’m guessing I can just throw on some 8x6.5 steelies then and they’ll fit? Something like these: https://www.wheelvintiques.com/81-series-8-lug-chrome-16x6.html ? I was thinking of going with 16x8 with stock lift.

Lastly, do you know if I’ll need any spacers for the bolts to fit? I’m guessing I can just use the stock bolts?
Jordan
San Francisco Bay Area

Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
In reply to this post by salans7
Shaun, I haven't seen 16.5 on any '84 or later trucks.
Mine ('87) are 16x7.
 Jim,
Reply | Threaded
|

Jordanlogo
Yup, here’s the 1982 catalog and I do in fact have the 16.5 x 6 rims as far as this is saying.

So from my research, I can just get a 16x8 with the 8x6.5 bolt pattern correct? Or would that width rim start to cause the tire to rub?

Jordan
San Francisco Bay Area

Reply | Threaded
|

RenoHuskerDu
What I often do on older trucks is buy adapters so I can run more recent wheels of which you have an ample supply to choose from. Young guys want flashy rims and tires on their new pickups, and the dealer keeps the stockers to sell as "take-offs" which is a great deal. Also, look on fleabay and amazon market.

Lenny Stahl at Motorsport Tech can build you any adapter you want, and his prices are reasonable. He builds many name brand adapters that other sell, has been in the biz for decades. Tell him Reno sent you.

https://www.motorsport-tech.com/specialss/truck/ford_s

Example: 2017 34" tires on 20" take-offs going on our 2000 SD
Reno in Central Texas, 86 F250 XLT Lariat eclb 2wd 6.9, plus 2 Bricknoses, 1 Aeronose that's getting a Bullnose front clip, and parts trucks. Busy lads, father and sons wrenchers.
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
You need to make sure the rim is lug centric, not hub centric.
And you need to watch the backspace.
My 7" rims only kiss the springs with stock tires.
Your other option would be to further limit turn angle by building up the steering stops.
 Jim,
Reply | Threaded
|

Jordanlogo
In reply to this post by RenoHuskerDu
So from what I understand from what you’re saying is that I’d be able to run any 8x6.5” lug wheel on these spacers, but the main thing the spacers do is allow bigger tires not to rub?

Thanks for the help!
Jordan
San Francisco Bay Area

Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
Adapters allow you to run any pattern that clears the hubs.
(They will widen your track a little bit too)
But you can adapt to later 17 or 20" rims if you like.

Joe from NJ was looking to put a set of metric pattern Lightning wheels on his truck.
He could do that with adapters.

But you have to remain mindful of your hub diameters when choosing a wheel.
(I'm assuming you have a D60 rear axle?)
 Jim,
Reply | Threaded
|

Jordanlogo
ArdWrknTrk wrote
But you have to remain mindful of your hub diameters when choosing a wheel.
(I'm assuming you have a D60 rear axle?)
To be honest I have no idea. I’d have to de code that when I get home (I’m at the firehouse).

I’ve found a bunch of wheels on LesSchwab that apparently fit a 1982 F250 (8x6.5” bolt pattern) but I just feel like there is so much to consider as far as fitment on these trucks I’m scared to pull the trigger.  

I wonder if driving to a wheel shop near me and asking them for an assessment is the way to go at this point...
Jordan
San Francisco Bay Area

Reply | Threaded
|

salans7
Do you want me to measure my extra set of stock 16x6 wheels so you know the approximate measurements as far as the backspace and hub bore? I can help you a little better if I know what you're really looking for. As said, there are a lot of options, but I'm fairly certain we can get you dialed.
Reply | Threaded
|

Jordanlogo
I mean that would be awesome!

salans7 wrote
Do you want me to measure my extra set of stock 16x6 wheels so you know the approximate measurements as far as the backspace and hub bore? I can help you a little better if I know what you're really looking for. As said, there are a lot of options, but I'm fairly certain we can get you dialed.
I’m looking for something like what Gary’s Big Blue has but I was thinking chrome instead:

Jordan
San Francisco Bay Area

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Those wheels are Wheel Vintiques 82-680804 16 in.x 8 in., 8 x 6.5 in. Bolt Circle, 4 in. Backspace.
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

Jordanlogo
Thanks Gary! The tires clear fine with stock lift?

How reliable is CarID, because according to them I have a BUNCH of wheel options that are a “guaranteed fit”?
Jordan
San Francisco Bay Area

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
The tires cleared fine before I put the D60 and RSK on, meaning with stock F250 4wd suspension.

And I bought my stereo via CarID and it worked great.  But that was the first time I'd used them so I, too, was nervous.

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
And the tires are Cooper Discoverer S/T Maxx LT285/75R16.