Where to buy chrome trim?

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
3 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Where to buy chrome trim?

Jordanlogo
Anyone know where to buy the straight chrome trim that goes down the body for my truck? I haven’t tried to pull off the original either... anyone know if it’s just adhesive?

Jordan
San Francisco Bay Area

1982 Ford F-250 XL - "Clifford, the Big Red Ford"
5.8L v8 351w T18 4spd Manual
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Where to buy chrome trim?

Gary Lewis
Administrator
It isn't put on with adhesive.  There are several fasteners and some studs to hold that trim on.  You can see a bit of info on them on the page at Documentation/Exterior/Exterior Trim & Moulding.

And the only places I'm aware of to get it are used and NOS.  Find the part number from the page mentioned above and go looking for it on-line.  But that can take quite some time and can be expensive.
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Where to buy chrome trim?

Ford F834
Administrator
In reply to this post by Jordanlogo
National Parts Depot does carry at least some of these aluminum pieces, which I understand are reproductions. However, they do not offer a complete new set, and you are out of luck with the cab pieces for a Supercab. I also wonder about the quality since the reproduction piece for Crew Cab rear doors says it fits either side (the originals are side-specific). I would try to work with what you have, or seek quality used or NOS if you have any that are in very poor condition. They are anodized aluminum, and there are some very good write ups about restoration options with this stuff.

https://www.npdlink.com/search/products?search_terms=Molding&top_parent=60000&year=

As Gary said, these are mounted with fasteners that bolt through the sheet metal and a series of plastic clips on welded studs. Look very carefully at where the bolted fasteners are before attempting to pry any of it off. It isn’t difficult to remove, however, once you see how it is done.
SHORT BED 4-DOOR DIESEL: 1986 F350 4x4 under construction-- 7.3 IDIT ZF5+GVOD

STRAIGHT SIX 4X4: 1981 F150 2wd to 4x4-- 300 I6 close ratio diesel T19, hydroboost brakes, Saginaw steering

BIG F: 1995 F-Superduty under construction— converting to 6.9L IDI diesel ZF5+DNE2