Where to buy: Rosewood (or similar) cruise/horn bars

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
29 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Where to buy: Rosewood (or similar) cruise/horn bars

ratdude747
My Horn bar (rose wood with cruise) is in terrible shape (broken, chunks missing)... and some days something loose inside shorts out the horn switch, honking the horn as a turn the wheel!

I thought I saw that the could be found but the logo was a bit different. This still the case?
1984 F150: 300 L6, AOD, RWD. EEC IV / TFI, Feedback Carter YFA Carb. Stock everything but radio (for now).
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Where to buy: Rosewood (or similar) cruise/horn bars

kramttocs
Administrator
The rosewood ones in good shape go pretty high on eBay and the nos ones are often several hundred.

I haven't heard about a different logo but there is the van woodgrain or the later truck burlwood.

Some have had decent luck re-making rosewood with markers and stain.
There was also a discussion awhile back where a member was looking into hydro dipping or making pre-cut stickers.

When you say "similar" does that mean you are ok with something not rosewood?
Scott
'Camano' 1986 F250 Supercab XLT Lariat 460/C6
'Chanute' 1980 F350 C&C 400/NP 435 - Gin Pole

But there ain't nothin' wrong with the radio
Reply | Threaded
|

ratdude747
Honestly if push came to shove, I'd take anything that fits and has the cruise buttons. I'd take mine apart and try to fix it if wasn't already chunked out (was that way when I bought it two years ago, but has gotten worse). Maybe I will see if I can fix the switch and it will stay chunked out since I'm not doing a full show-truck restoration on it. Just annoying to have the horn go off without warning and not shut off until I yank on plunger just the right way to break the connection.

Logo wise, what I saw was on the logo having raised lettering or being flat. Mine is the former
1984 F150: 300 L6, AOD, RWD. EEC IV / TFI, Feedback Carter YFA Carb. Stock everything but radio (for now).
Reply | Threaded
|

rcarlisle
My bar looks like someone has worked on it in the past.   It was missing a logo on the middle.  I ordered this one from LMC for like $5.  Shows that it isn't available currently.  It is a stick on and doesn't fit perfectly but was better than nothing.  THose bars always seem high to me, even used.  

https://www.lmctruck.com/1980-96-ford/steering-column-parts/fd-1980-86-steering-wheel-components

This is only photo I have showing it.  Cloisonne kinda thing.  

Randy

Mt. Airy, NC   81 F-150 STYLESIDE regular cab 2wd.   302 Auto Zone crate.  5 spd M5od-R2  
Reply | Threaded
|

Gsmblue
In reply to this post by ratdude747
These parts are getting very hard to find. The cruise horn pad and the radio bezel (with the cut outs for the clock/trip). I search every day for anything that is sensible and I have not found anything for months...

My local junk yard has not had any "new" bullnose trucks since winter.

It is getting real tough.
1985.5 F-150 XL Explorer standard cab 5.0 EFI AOD 4x4
Daily Driver. We call her Eunice the Ute.

1982 Bronco XLT Lariat 351W AOD 4x4
Code name Esperanza, or Espy to her friends. Please see my Project thread for the blow by blow.

1984 F-350 XL Centurion crew cab 460 T19 4x4
"Eylza Dual-little"
Reply | Threaded
|

Rusty_S85
Gsmblue wrote
These parts are getting very hard to find. The cruise horn pad and the radio bezel (with the cut outs for the clock/trip). I search every day for anything that is sensible and I have not found anything for months...

My local junk yard has not had any "new" bullnose trucks since winter.

It is getting real tough.
Same here, I saw one wood grain NOS horn assembly on ebay 3 years ago.  Its the correct part number for my '82 with cruise control I didnt buy it cause the guy wanted $650 for it and felt that was way too much.  Now I wished I would have bought it cause its been the only one I seen and now all I see are non cruise ones.

Bezels the same way, Id love to buy new bezels for my truck but no one makes them anymore.  I remember a post made a couple years ago about LMC looking to expand the product line up for our trucks but nothing since then.  Someone needs to start doing something for some of these parts.  I dont think the original molds exist though cause Dennis Carpenter has the original molds for the door panels so if they still existed for the bezels they would have been making them.
"Old Blue" - '56 Fairlane Town Sedan - 292-4V, Ford-O-Matic transmission, 3.22:1
'63 Belair 2dr sdn - 283-4V, Powerglide transmission, 4.56:1
'78 Cougar XR7 - 351-2V, FMX transmission, 2.75:1 9inch
"Bruno" - '82 F150 Flareside - 302-2V, C6 transmission, 2.75:1 9inch, 31x10.50-15 BFG KO2
Reply | Threaded
|

ratdude747
In reply to this post by rcarlisle
Sadly all they have are the non-cruise variety... I guess I could technically DIY cruise controls outside the wheel, but I'd prefer to keep it stock.

Guess I'll try to fix what I have... If not, well, hope I don't get road raged/pulled over for a randomly blaring horn...
Reply | Threaded
|

ratdude747
Took it apart yesterday. The leftomost spring perch broke off the horn bar and the spring was rattling loose. Reassembled with the spring removed and the leftmost section of the horn bar contact strip cut off... seems to work. Not ideal since I can't use my left thumb to honk any more... but better than having a randomly honking horn or one that honks if I brush the wheel the wrong way.
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Well that's progress, and as Jim says progress is good!  
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

1986F150Six
Administrator
I thought of this thread when seeing this used 1985 steering wheel with cruise buttons:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/124816536585?hash=item1d0fa53409:g:O9EAAOSwD15g52ZF

Reply | Threaded
|

ratdude747
Very tempting but out of current budget!

Good point on looking for the whole wheel, not just the bar... Duh.
Reply | Threaded
|

1986F150Six
Administrator
Reply | Threaded
|

1986F150Six
Administrator
Reply | Threaded
|

1986F150Six
Administrator
Reply | Threaded
|

ratdude747
This post was updated on .
Best offered.

My rosewood is shot on my cover so this is close enough. I can always try to refinish it later if I cared that much... At least it's not in literal cracked up chunks.

Edit- bought. Was able to haggle it down a bit... Other than the wood pattern (or lack thereof), that's a very close match to what's on there now (buttons are correct, bar shape is correct, and the logo is embossed).
Reply | Threaded
|

Gsmblue
Now you are all causing me problems!!!

One more beer and I’ll pull the trigger in that wheel..

Code name Esperanza, or Espy to her friends. Please see my Project thread for the blow by blow.

"Eylza Dual-little"
Reply | Threaded
|

Gsmblue
Urgh… trigger pulled. It took one more sip not one more beer.

I now have more steering wheels on the shelf than in trucks..

"Eylza Dual-little"
Reply | Threaded
|

1986F150Six
Administrator
Gsmblue wrote
Urgh… trigger pulled. It took one more sip not one more beer.

I now have more steering wheels on the shelf than in trucks..

Reply | Threaded
|

ratdude747
In reply to this post by ratdude747
Came in today.

Good news:

-Unit is in good (enough) cosmetic shape. Only broken piece is the silver trim ring around the coast/set switch (which I'm pretty sure I have intact on mine, requires dissecting the switch).
-The fake tan leather around the cruise buttons is all one tan plastic piece unlike mine (which is a black plastic under layer with a plastic wrap containing the rosewood finish, which is all falling apart).

Bad news:

-Took it apart... found chafed wiring on the cruise buttons. Will address while I have it in pieces.

Not digging the worn fake leather finish... since I doubt I can just buy a rosewood look-alike "wallpaper" to wrap things, what to do? Paint it brown and call it close enough? Or come up with a different color scheme for the rosewood in the rest of the interior? The only other rosewood I have is on the dash (instrument cluster and radio/HVAC bezel)... it's in OK shape, but not perfect (chips/flaws) and my truck isn't a show piece either. Maybe red or orange? Ideas welcome here...
Reply | Threaded
|

ratdude747
Switch part swap complete. Do not recommend; the upper plastics are glued on and very fragile. was able to make it work, but it required breaking the lower plastics of my existing switches (buttons corroded, hence why I didn't just move them directly). Broke the upper too... but since I had both pieces, I was able to glue it all back together.