classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
10 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Where To Put Scanned Documents?

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Guys, I have a philosophy question for you: Where should we put scanned documents?

Basically I see two options:

1. Tabbed: In this approach I can put several documents with similar content on one page. For instance, I have two or three booklets on how engines operate, and could put them on the same page.
  2. Standalone Page: With this approach each document/booklet would be on its own page. Perhaps the documents with similar content could be grouped under one heading in the menu. For instance we could have a page on Engine Operation and then have two pages under that for the two booklets.

There are advantages and disadvantages to each, of course. In the tabbed approach an advantage is that it is easy to find the documents once you find the page, and you can read all of the documents we have on that topic with ease. But there are at least two disadvantages: First, in our spreadsheet showing what documentation we have (Manuals & Literature) I can only put a link to the page, not the tab, so when you click the link you are on the page but still have to find the tab. Second, tabbed content will not be found via a Google search. So those documents are effectively hidden.

In the by-page approach I will have the ability to put a link directly to the document in the spreadsheet, which is effectively our library's card catalog. And that document will sorta be found via a Google search if I put some text up top that 'splains what's in the document. But the disadvantage is that this approach ups the number of pages we have, and all of those pages add to the complexity of the menu.

Thoughts, please?
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Where To Put Scanned Documents?

85lebaront2
Administrator
First gut reaction says "tabbed" as that is the old school way we found things. Standalone is probably the way to go due to search engines being the modern way and many younger enthusiasts are used to that method.
Bill AKA "LOBO" Profile

"Getting old is inevitable, growing up is optional" Darth Vader 1986 F350 460 converted to MAF/SEFI, E4OD 12X3 1/2 rear brakes, traction loc 3:55 gear, 160 amp 3G alternator Wife's 2011 Flex Limited Daily Driver 2009 Flex Limited with factory tow package Project car 1986 Chrysler LeBaron convertible 2.2L Turbo II, modified A413

Reply | Threaded
|

BigBrother-84
At 57, I suppose I qualify for the "young" category...

Reading at the desription Gary made, I would go for the separated document way, "modern" search engines enabled.
But who am I to influence the library structure?
Jeff / 1984 F350 Crew Cab 4x4/5.8L w351 4V/ T18/ D50 4.10 front/ 8' bed.
Restored 2019-2022.
Nicknamed «Big Brother 1984», due to its soooo-looong shape & nod to George Orwell's 1984 famous novel.
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Thanks, guys.  I'm not ready to add anything so will wait to see what others have to say before doing that.

Everyone, please let me know what you think.  

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

grumpin
I would say tabbed if there is more info in the tab, instead of going back and forth, if I’m understanding this correctly.

And I always think you should do what’s easiest for you.
Dane
1986 F250HD SC XLT Lariat 4x4 460 C6-Sold
1992 Bronco XLT 4x4 351W E4OD
1998 GMC Sierra SLE K1500 350 4L60E
Arizona
Reply | Threaded
|

Wagoneermaster
First of all, I am already very happy with the information that is available at this moment. I would say tabbed would indeed safe some time in getting the information.
Jeep Grand Wagoneer AMC 5.9L (LPG injection, DIS ignition fully electronic EFI DIY design & build)
1982 F250 4x4 351W super cab, long bed
Reply | Threaded
|

Maurice
In reply to this post by Gary Lewis
I would suggest single page, sections, and one line/link per document.

With some metadata in that page, they'll be indexed in no time by google etc.

An example of the current trend in presenting stuff like this.
Reply | Threaded
|

Ford F834
Administrator
In reply to this post by Gary Lewis
Gary, I *think I would favor the single page approach. This is how you have done the manuals/brochures right? The main thing is that it has to be easy to  peruse the contents for those who do not know what all is available. The tabs help facilitate this, but I think a page of links would serve a similar function while affording the benefits that you mentioned for single pages.
SHORT BED 4-DOOR DIESEL: 1986 F350 4x4 under construction-- 7.3 IDIT ZF5+GVOD

STRAIGHT SIX 4X4: 1981 F150 2wd to 4x4-- 300 I6 close ratio diesel T19, hydroboost brakes, Saginaw steering

BIG F: 1995 F-Superduty under construction— converting to 6.9L IDI diesel ZF5+DNE2
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Ok guys, I've been reading the mail and appreciate all of the input.  And I think I've come to a conclusion on how I'd like to do it.

I want to use individual pages, but in sections when there are related documents.  And those case the pages will have a small menu with links to allow you to go between related documents - sorta like shown below.

I think this approach will accomplish both goals - make the documents available via a Google search, and allow you to move around to see the other documents.  And while it is more difficult for me, it is only marginally more difficult.  And I think the benefits will be worth it.

Thoughts?

Reply | Threaded
|

Ford F834
Administrator
I like it Gary.
SHORT BED 4-DOOR DIESEL: 1986 F350 4x4 under construction-- 7.3 IDIT ZF5+GVOD

STRAIGHT SIX 4X4: 1981 F150 2wd to 4x4-- 300 I6 close ratio diesel T19, hydroboost brakes, Saginaw steering

BIG F: 1995 F-Superduty under construction— converting to 6.9L IDI diesel ZF5+DNE2