classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
7 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Wheel Arch Trim

Machspeed
Administrator
I've seen this a couple of times and have wondered about it??? The XLT's have a side trim and I don't believe wheel arch trim. My XL has only wheel arch trim. Posted below is an XLT with the appropriate trim and the wheel arch trim. Is this correct? And no, I absolutely am not looking to do this to my truck!

Speaking of wheel arch trim, I need to replace a couple. Are the re-pops any good?  

John

"Blackie" - 1986 F150 4x4 - Mildly warmed over 351W HO - Original owner
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Wheel Arch Trim

Gary Lewis
Administrator
John - I think you are looking at is something that someone kludged together. I say that because the way I read the options from the dealer fact books the wheel lip moulding can't be added to the packages that had the higher trim.

I realize that truck isn't an '85, but these pages from the '85 dealer fact book seems to support my understanding:

Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

kramttocs
Administrator
Yeah, the two wheel arch (lip and upper arch) didn't come together though, like that truck, people often added the lip trim. Looks a bit busy on the chrome to me but to each his own.
Scott
'Camano' 1986 F250 Supercab XLT Lariat 460/C6
'Chanute' 1980 F350 C&C 400/NP 435 - Gin Pole

But there ain't nothin' wrong with the radio
Reply | Threaded
|

Machspeed
Administrator
Thanks gentlemen, I thought so. I've seen it a few times and have been curious. As you said Scott, to each his own.

Thoughts on those re-pop wheel arch trim? Worth purchasing or garbage?
John

"Blackie" - 1986 F150 4x4 - Mildly warmed over 351W HO - Original owner
Reply | Threaded
|

kramttocs
Administrator
Did you find a kit for the wheel lip molding?

Looking on Dennis Carpenter and LMC (which is no doubt the DC offering), they only have the passenger front
Scott
'Camano' 1986 F250 Supercab XLT Lariat 460/C6
'Chanute' 1980 F350 C&C 400/NP 435 - Gin Pole

But there ain't nothin' wrong with the radio
Reply | Threaded
|

ratdude747
In reply to this post by Machspeed
If it's like the arch trim a PO added to my former 1995 Chevy Astro, it collected water at the seam and rotted the fender out like there was no tomorrow. Heck no!

But if it's a stock replacement and strikes your fancy, up to you.
1984 F150: 300 L6, AOD, RWD. EEC IV / TFI, Feedback Carter YFA Carb. Stock everything but radio (for now).
Reply | Threaded
|

mat in tn
i have been generally happy with the set i get from npd. i have used this set a few times and though they are not perfect ,they do  look very good.