What was the deal with Bullnose sway bars?

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
28 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: What was the deal with Bullnose sway bars?

Blacktop
Do any companies make aftermarket sway bars for bullnose trucks?
Would love to fit front and rear swaybars to mine but being in the UK, our scrapyards over here arent exactly full of them!
1984 F150 XLT short bed 4x4 351w 4speed manual
1980 F100 long bed 2wd 300-6 3speed manual project truck
🇬🇧UK based truck enthusiast🇬🇧
Reply | Threaded
|

Ray Cecil
Blacktop wrote
Do any companies make aftermarket sway bars for bullnose trucks?
Would love to fit front and rear swaybars to mine but being in the UK, our scrapyards over here arent exactly full of them!
I am not sure. Google would tell you pretty quick.

I did discover a full set of swaybars sitting in my driveway under the bronco today. Woohoo! SCORE!
1988 F250 Supercab Longbed 7.3 IDI, C6, 1356, GEARVENDORS, 4.10 Sterling with autolocker

1986 F150 302, C6, 9" 2.75, Wood Flatbed

Reply | Threaded
|

Steve83
Banned User
In reply to this post by FuzzFace2
Rembrant wrote
(The bracket that sits under the coil spring lower mount, on top of the radius arm). Do you know if this bracket was the same from 1980-up? Was the same one used on 2wd and 4x4 trucks?
The spring spacers on my Bronco axles are cast with "4x4" in them, so that tells me the 2WD trucks use different ones.  IIRC, it's on the surface with the plastic/rubber spring pad.
Rembrant wrote
...rear swaybar that is supposed to be for an F150 with an 8.8 rear end.
FuzzFace2 wrote
...if it fits an 81 front & rear with 9"
AFAIK, the bar is the same for 9" & 8.8".  Later 8.8s got slightly-different tube brackets to fit the slightly-different center castings, but they're easy to modify either way.  I'm using old (I can't remember what I took them from) rear brackets on the '04 E150 8.8" under the Bronco.
Reply | Threaded
|

Rembrant
In reply to this post by gtanns
gtanns wrote
I'm looking for a front sway bar for my 1980 f150 4x4 ... have you installed the front sway bar ? Did it fit??
gtanns,

I bought front and rear swaybars, but so far have only installed the rear. The front is all powder coated and ready to go, I just haven't put it in there yet.

As far as I know, for the 1/2 ton trucks, the bars were all the same...it's just the mounting points/brackets that changed. The good news is that you can swap in a swaybar from a 1996 F150 4x4. The mounting pads that sit under the coil springs have changed a few times over the years, but I think they can all be modified to fit easily enough.

For example, at some point either in the late 1980's or early 1990's, Ford starting casting the mounting pads with a little nub on the bottom that fit into a little slot in the front end of the radius arms. I assume this was done to "clock" the mounting pad correctly during assembly (anybody?).

Same thing with where the bars mounted to the chassis. Some mount to the front crossmember below the rad, and some mounted to the left and right frame rails. Same thing with the rears...the bars were the same, but the ends links were different lengths between 2wd and 4x4, and the axle mounting brackets were different between 9" and 8.8".

In any case, it's a pretty straight forward swap. I've read enough threads where guys went to the junkyard and took front and rear bars and brackets from a 1993 and installed directly on their 1983 without issue, it's a swap you don't have to worry much about.
1994 F150 4x2 Flareside. 5.0 w/MAF, 4R70W, stock.
1984 F150 4X2 Flareside. Mild 302 w/ 5spd. Sold.
1980 F150 4X4 Flareside. 300i6 w/ 5spd. Sold in 2021.
1980 F100 4X2 Flareside. 351w/2bbl w/NP435. Sold in 1995

Reply | Threaded
|

Rembrant
In reply to this post by Steve83
Steve83 wrote
The spring spacers on my Bronco axles are cast with "4x4" in them, so that tells me the 2WD trucks use different ones.  
They are indeed different. The 4x4 spacers are a little thinner...at least some of them are, and the bolt hole in the 4x4 spacers is smaller. I have a 4x4 set I believe from a 1991 that I'm going to use on my 1984 2wd. I'll have to drill the main hole out in a center, but other than that they will work just fine.
1994 F150 4x2 Flareside. 5.0 w/MAF, 4R70W, stock.
1984 F150 4X2 Flareside. Mild 302 w/ 5spd. Sold.
1980 F150 4X4 Flareside. 300i6 w/ 5spd. Sold in 2021.
1980 F100 4X2 Flareside. 351w/2bbl w/NP435. Sold in 1995

Reply | Threaded
|

1986F150Six
Administrator
In reply to this post by Blacktop
Reply | Threaded
|

DLESTER
In reply to this post by 85lebaront2
I need the cross member that the sway bars mount to. Do you have a part numbed for this or know were i can get one.

Thanks
1990 F150 XLT 5.0 2WD
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Welcome to the Bullnose Forum!  Glad you joined.  

But you probably missed the email I sent you asking that you go to the New Members Start Here folder, read the guidelines, and then post an introduction there.  It is important you have a chance to read the guidelines as we hold everyone to them.

So please go through that process and then we can discuss the sway bars.
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI