What is this? And what does it do?

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
11 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

What is this? And what does it do?

Cbarnes
I am probably posting this in the wrong forum, if so, sorry.

Can anyone tell me what this is, and what it does?

It is mounted on top of the passenger side valve cover.

Thanks,
Carl
1984 F-250, XLT, SuperCab, 460, C-6, 4X4
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: What is this? And what does it do?

FuzzFace2
Carl,

Yes you did post in the wrong area (not many would see it here) but its not the end of the world.
It should be out in the main area and a Admin may move it there?

when asking a question it helps use to help you if we know what it is you are working with.
List the year / model / motor size / transmission as different years / models / motor sizes / transmissions use different things to make them work.

You can also make a signture with that information in it and this way we will see it and work off that.
Only  time that may change is if you have more and 1 truck or working on something else then list it.

As for that part I really dont know but a WAG it is a temperature switch of some sort.
When the temperature gets to a set point it either starts something or turns it off.
Dave ----
Dave G.
81 F100 flare side 300 six / AA OD / NP435 / 2.75 gear
http://cars.grantskingdom1.com/index.php/1980-Ford-F100?page=1
81 F100 style side 300 six/SROD parts truck -RIP
http://cars.grantskingdom1.com/index.php/1981-Ford-F100
Reply | Threaded
|

Rembrant
In reply to this post by Cbarnes
On a 1984 460, that would be the throttle kicker solenoid. You're in luck, we have some 460 experts on here...but I'm not one of them...lol. I just happen to have a 1984 FSM.

1994 F150 4x2 Flareside. 5.0 w/MAF, 4R70W, stock.
1984 F150 4X2 Flareside. Mild 302 w/ 5spd. Sold.
1980 F150 4X4 Flareside. 300i6 w/ 5spd. Sold in 2021.
1980 F100 4X2 Flareside. 351w/2bbl w/NP435. Sold in 1995

Reply | Threaded
|

Cbarnes
Thanks guys,

I added a signature, tried to add an avatar, couldn’t get the pic small enough.

Rembrandt,
I am in the process of changing the original carb that has been pretty badly butchered.  Also trying to get rid of a bunch on the non essential extra’s that are on it.  Any known problems with unplugging this and discarding it and plugging the vacumn lines?

Thanks again,
Carl
Reply | Threaded
|

grumpin
This is interesting. I thought the 460’s didn’t have a throttle kicker. I don’t, and if it did, it is gone.

I’ll have to look for evidence of the module. The EVTM says it should have one.

Edit: Ok, after looking in the FSM it says the 460 only has it on Canadian and California emission vehicles. The EVTM is not clear on that.
Dane
1986 F250HD SC XLT Lariat 4x4 460 C6-Sold
1992 Bronco XLT 4x4 351W E4OD
1998 GMC Sierra SLE K1500 350 4L60E
Arizona
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Sorry that I'm late to the party - our kids have been here.  But this thread's been moved to the main section.

As for the throttle kicker, Big Blue doesn't have one either and, according to the 1985 EVTM, have when new as they were used on the 5.8L only.  It is interesting how things changed from year to year.

Cory - What does the '84 EVTM say about what the thing does?  I ask because there are several different kinds, some with just electrical power and some with vacuum as well.

Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

Rembrant
Gary,
I’ll have to look it up when I get home as I do t have my files with me at work anymore. I couldn’t fit it in the snips, but the bottom of these pics did say “50 State” vehicles.

Reply | Threaded
|

Rembrant
Ok, you guys both have me confused now...lol.

The FSM's are not overly clear on the throttle kicker device...or, if it will make any more sense the FSM is sometimes very clear in a description, but it will then leave out the nuances of where that description applies...lol.

In any case, it appears that on the 4.9L and 302, the Throttle Kicker is used to "kick up" the idle slightly when required (like when the AC compressor kicks on). On the 460, and on the 4.9L (above 8500 GVWR), the Throttle Kicker becomes the "Decel Throttle Kicker", and is then used to keep the throttle from closing fully when decelerating (for emissions reasons). The throttle is kept open a little bit to burn that remaining fuel instead of dumping it out the exhaust. The one wild card would be the 5.8L, and since that part is not really clear to me, I'm guessing that on the 2bbl the throttle kicker is an idle kicker, and on the 4bbl, it is a Decel Throttle Kicker?

Anyway...I have both 1984 and 1985 FSM's, and they're both the same on all of these details, showing the throttle kicker on the valve covers of 50 state 460's, 5.8's, and some 4.9's (except Canada).

The Throttle Kicker Module is interesting. It shows that the valve is grounded at speeds above 1850 RPM. I'm not 100% sure how that translates into how it operates. The might mean that the valve closes or opens at 1850 RPM when decelerating?

In any case, going back to the original poster's questions. If the solenoid valve that is still mounted on the valve cover has NO vacuum lines connected to it, then it isn't in use anymore and I'm sure it could be removed. As always, be careful and don't do anything that you can't undo without testing to make sure it still works OK.

If you don't have any emissions testing in your area, and you're not concerned about it personally, then you can remove a lot of stuff under the hood of these old trucks.

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Thanks, Cory.  I'm going to do some more sleuthing to see if I can figure out what the kicker is supposed to do for every engine.
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

Cbarnes
Thanks to both of you.  It still had vacumn lines attached.  But the new carb I installed did not have the provisions for the throttle deceleration kicker.  I have removed it, and there seems to be no adverse effects of it being gone.

Carl
Reply | Threaded
|

mat in tn
its normal for "drive ability" to seem unaffected. it's only an emission reducing system