What is the correlation between the recent increase in Bullnose pricing and Bullnose Forum and Bullnose bible?

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
53 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

What is the correlation between the recent increase in Bullnose pricing and Bullnose Forum and Bullnose bible?

1986F150Six
Administrator
This post was updated on .
Gary, when was the forum started... maybe a couple of years ago?

During the same time frame, we have witnessed many examples of 1980 - 1986 trucks being sold on various sites. It used to be that we all joked that our trucks were worth less than what had been invested to bring them to where they were. It was stated that ~$1500 - $5000 was what these trucks sold for, depending on condition and geographic location.

Now, we are seeing these same trucks selling for $7.5K to $75+K.

Reply | Threaded
|

Re: What is the correlation between the recent increase in Bullnose pricing and Gary's Garagemahal Forum?

Gary Lewis
Administrator
David - My join date was August 4, 2017. So the forum has been in existence for 3 years and 7 months tomorrow. (And, by the way, we have 1,010 members.)

As for any correlation, I'll sit back and see what people say. But, I'd rephrase the question slightly to "What is the correlation between the recent increase in Bullnose pricing and Gary's Garagemahal Forum the Bullnose Forum & Bullnose Bible"??

The reason for that is because the forum and the documentation provide somewhat different types of support. In other words, we have 1,010 members on the forum, but yesterday we had 830 different users on the site. So we are serving a larger audience than just the forum members since it is very unlikely that most of the members didn't visit the forum yesterday.
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

Re: What is the correlation between the recent increase in Bullnose pricing and Bullnose Forum and Bullnose bible?

Rembrant
In reply to this post by 1986F150Six
Personally, I think there's two things that have happened recently, or have been happening recently, and one is that the inventory is decreasing fairly rapidly, and some (many?) people are starting to come to reality with how much it costs to restore or rebuild one of these trucks. One has to also wonder how much, if any, effect all of the Covid restrictions have had on the market? Comments?

1994 F150 4x2 Flareside. 5.0 w/MAF, 4R70W, stock.
1984 F150 4X2 Flareside. Mild 302 w/ 5spd. Sold.
1980 F150 4X4 Flareside. 300i6 w/ 5spd. Sold in 2021.
1980 F100 4X2 Flareside. 351w/2bbl w/NP435. Sold in 1995

Reply | Threaded
|

Re: What is the correlation between the recent increase in Bullnose pricing and Bullnose Forum and Bullnose bible?

grumpin
Good points! The Covid point is interesting, hadn’t thought of that.

I read somewhere awhile back, either here or Hagertys newsletter that older vehicles are declining and this era is going up in some part due to people driving them in their teen years, either their first vehicle or their parents or grandparents vehicle. And now they are in a position, family wise and economically to afford to buy and/or fix one up.
Dane
1986 F250HD SC XLT Lariat 4x4 460 C6-Sold
1992 Bronco XLT 4x4 351W E4OD
1998 GMC Sierra SLE K1500 350 4L60E
Arizona
Reply | Threaded
|

Rembrant
grumpin wrote
The Covid point is interesting, hadn’t thought of that.
The only reason I mentioned it was that in my area last year, because people were not able to travel and gather, etc...leisure item sales went through the roof, and all of the local shops sold out of bikes, ATV's, swimming pools, etc. You could not buy this stuff, at any price. I realize in the fair weathered areas, people can still drive Bullnoses on a daily basis, but anywhere in the north (USA north, or all of Canada) Bullnose trucks are mostly leisure vehicles and rolling projects, etc. Just thinking out loud, how many people bought projects last year because they were stuck at home due to restrictions anyway?

I know when I used to scan Craigs List, Ebay, Kijiji, and Marketplace a couple years ago, there at least seemed to be more "nice" trucks showing up for sale. Now, in 2020 and 2021, not so much (in my opinion). Less pickings is going to mean higher prices for the nice stuff.

Still, we're a big continent, and prices and availability can vary wildly by region...so as the motorcycle guys always say, YMMV.

1994 F150 4x2 Flareside. 5.0 w/MAF, 4R70W, stock.
1984 F150 4X2 Flareside. Mild 302 w/ 5spd. Sold.
1980 F150 4X4 Flareside. 300i6 w/ 5spd. Sold in 2021.
1980 F100 4X2 Flareside. 351w/2bbl w/NP435. Sold in 1995

Reply | Threaded
|

salans7
You guys are forgetting the social media angle. Take a look at the Bullnose Facebook pages and take a look at the people posting. A large majority are under 30 years old. They may have grown up with these trucks like I did (my dad had six different 78-96 Ford trucks when I was growing up), or they may have a friend or relative who has one, and wanted one for themselves. But most of these young adults probably came across digital media that featured a heavily modified truck and decided they want one too. These trucks are now VERY visible online. Ten years ago, you had to weed through Google Images or browse around FTE or similar sites to see pictures of these trucks. Now, they're all over Facebook groups, Instagram, Snapchat, TikTok, etc. And all of that is in the palm of your hand, 24/7, 365 days a year. This brought our trucks to a much wider (and younger) audience, and I believe that has the most to do with why these trucks seem to have skyrocketed to popularity. The money thing is kind of a result of the popularity of these trucks. You don't see Yugos or Pintos going for $75k. You also didn't see these trucks going for absurd amounts of money ten years ago either. Either way, that's just my opinion based on what I see from my millennial viewpoint.
Reply | Threaded
|

Fordboy300
I have to agree the younger crowd is getting their hands on these bullnose, bricknose and aeronose trucks they are becoming cool again.   I'm gonna be 30 this year but I've always been a fan of bullnoses way before they were cool.

I remember these truck used cost dirt cheap now they are getting up there one just sold for 97k but was in pristine  condition.

I've noticed more bullnoses too around my town and I'm just glad my dad never sold "Big Red" I always tell him that I'm the best thing that happened to that truck

Glad the bullnose is getting the attention it deserves!  

"Big Red" 1986 Ford F150 XL

Ford 300 i6 4.9L  .20 over bore(303 cubic inches now), p&p head, Crower 19212 cam, crower lifter spring kit, cloyes timing gears, EFI manifolds, Offenhauser C-series, Edelbrock 500cfm, DUI Ignition Dizzy, dual in single out magnaflow exhaust dumped before the rear axle.  
Reply | Threaded
|

Lima Delta
In reply to this post by Rembrant
Rembrant wrote
...and one is that the inventory is decreasing fairly rapidly...
The inventory angle is an interesting one. As these trucks become more popular for whatever reason, there are fewer and fewer remaining for parts salvage to keep the driving stock on the road at lower cost. Also, and maybe this is more or less of a local factor, but scrap rates were very high ten years or so ago and too many of these trucks were crushed.

LD
Lucas
"The truck" - 1985 regular cab F250 4x4 - 351W HO, C6
"Beige Beast" (project) - 1981 regular cab F250 4x4 - 300 straight six, T18
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
Scrap rates exploded just prior to export tariffs on steel going to China.
And, although not even included, "Cash for Clunkers" destroyed a whole bunch of fully functional trucks.
(I'd nearly cry when they took a good running engine fill it with sodium silicate and run it 'til it seized again and again.. until it couldn't budge)

I'm looking forward to when these trucks -and all other ICE vehicles- are off the roads and illegal to own.
If humans still exist a couple of generations beyond that, at least this past 100 years 1920-2020) will be viewed as the most destructive in human history.

Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Too much other stuff to mention.
Reply | Threaded
|

HBF84
This thread has many elements of my situation.  My dad bought HBF for me in 1989 if my calculations serve correctly, so something I drove as a teenager...and in my twenties...and in my thirties.  And I begrudgingly stopped driving it in 2009 because it would have meant a cross country drive when I joined the Navy.  I might have driven it a few times on leave before the registration expired when I was in Afghanistan which was in 2011.  In December, 2019 I conjured up the idea of getting an RV and HBF was going to be my tow rig so, eventually it was shipped out to me here in Maryland.  When it arrived during the pandemic, RV prices had skyrocketed and some plans changed, so it's turned into a nice distraction and my daily driver, again!
1984 F-150 2wd short bed with 4.9L, 4 speed overdrive manual transmission, and 3.08 rear end (18) switched to the 3.55 limited slip (H9).
Reply | Threaded
|

swampedout
As a 30 something yr old who isnt on social media, Id like to add that the other thing for people my age is that getting a solid truck at a reasonable price usually means an older truck. My "newest" vehicle is a 97.
The 80s and 90s trucks are in that sweet spot of affordability as everything older is a collectors item and everything newer is pricey.

I have to refrain from my opinions on the social media stuff, but lets just say theres a reason Im not on it.
Sam
1984 F250. 460. C6. 4x4.
 MSD Ignition. Airbag rear suspension
Whole buncha problems
Reply | Threaded
|

Ken Blythen
Maybe soon someone will even start reproducing the 80-86 unobtainium interior plastic parts!!

And Rosewood dash panels!!
Reply | Threaded
|

1986F150Six
Administrator
Hello, Ken! It is always good to hear from you!
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
In reply to this post by Ken Blythen
So THAT'S why there were earthquakes down his way!  Ken posted!  

Where have you been, my friend?  Been missing you.  How are things there?

And yes, there is a silver lining in the dark cloud of higher popularity - it will become financially feasible to start making some of the parts that are getting almost impossible to find.  

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

ratdude747
In reply to this post by salans7
I am one of such. I am 28, and had just turned 27 when I bought my '84 as a self birthday present.

I've always thought old trucks were cool... but I didn't grow up on Fords... my mom taught me FORD stands for "Fix or Repair Daily" and "Found on Rushville (her hometown) Dump". I didn't become a Ford guy until after I traded a troublesome '99 Durango for an abused (but mostly fixable) '95 Ranger, and despite the latter's issues, impressed me as a well driving truck that suited my needs.

The '84 was an extension of such... I wasn't looking for anything particular, just another 3rd vehicle that could double as a fun project. It checked all the boxes and then some, and I was able to negotiate a pretty cheap price for it too ($750!). Sure, I've had to redo the entire brake system (minus most of the hard brake lines and proportioning valve), rebuild the engine (broken rings and scored bores), and the interior (still) needs a lot of TLC, but it was/is free of "rotting" rust (minus the front left bedside) and has actually been quite useful for moving things my Ranger couldn't (pallets of welding tooling for work, server racks for a buddy, etc.)... but it's been good. No idea what it's worth though (and don't frankly care at the moment, it's not for sale!!!).
1984 F150: 300 L6, AOD, RWD. EEC IV / TFI, Feedback Carter YFA Carb. Stock everything but radio (for now).
Reply | Threaded
|

Ken Blythen
In reply to this post by Gary Lewis
Gary Lewis wrote
So THAT'S why there were earthquakes down his way!  Ken posted!
Awww.....that's cold!!!!

Hi Gary, David!

We're good thanks - covid, earthquakes & tsunamis aside! Very busy though (as I was explaining to David in a post on FTE)...I don't get to spend anywhere near the time on line now, that I did.
Right now we are in the process of buying/shifting house, along with 12 hr work days....I feel like the hamster on a wheel! It'll settle sometime.

How is everything up there? Spring must be getting closer!
Reply | Threaded
|

JimJam300
In reply to this post by 1986F150Six
I am 27. I’ve always loved older vehicles, they always have more style and character. My love of old trucks started with a 1990 Ranger 4x4 I had a few years back. I got rid of it but I was itching to have an old truck again. I was looking for a 78/79 Bronco or a similar era Blazer but for some reason I ended up with a 2000 4Runner. That didn’t scratch the itch so I sold it. 78/79 Broncos were then out of my price range and the second-best thing was going up in price so I acted quick on a frame-rust-free 1982 Bronco that was all original and “relatively” cheap at $2000...and had been sitting in a field for 25 years. Prices are continuing to go up like crazy even for the most mundane of trucks, so I figured there was no time like the present or Id forever regret not getting the truck I really wanted, and if I didn’t want it anymore I could trade it for a Porsche 911 or airplane or something when I’m finished restoring it lol

Prices for all used vehicles are just insane in general right now. I need a pickup for hauling lumber (which is very pricey due to Covid), parts, and my motorcycle, and I can’t find anything decent under $4000

If you guys think interior parts are hard to find for your colors, try finding spruce color interior parts...
1982 Bronco restomod in progress: Built 4.9L, T19 4spd, 9" 3.00 rear w/ Eaton TrueTrac, 31" tires, fuel injection soon
https://www.youtube.com/@jimjamauto
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Ken - Spring is right around the corner, but this has been a strange year so I won't be surprised if we have another round of winter weather.  However, the trees are budding out, so that will prolong the allergy season.

As for how we are doing, Janey and I've both gotten our 2nd vaccine shot and are soon to go see the kids.  And the grandkids!  

tcbaklash - That's what SEM is for.  Make the interior pieces whatever color you want them to be.

Reply | Threaded
|

JimJam300
Gary, do you know of a place that mixes the spruce color? I have only ever been able to find the usual suspects
1982 Bronco restomod in progress: Built 4.9L, T19 4spd, 9" 3.00 rear w/ Eaton TrueTrac, 31" tires, fuel injection soon
https://www.youtube.com/@jimjamauto
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Go to Documentation/Specifications/Interior Paint.  There you'll find several things.  First, NO ONE has the correct paint for any (Edit) FACTORY color on the shelf.  It is all mixed when needed.  Second, there's a link to Vinyl Pro on there, and they are superb to work with.  Last, the Spruce # is on there.