What Is The Difference In Tailgate Mechanisms: Bullnose vs Bricknose?

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
28 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

What Is The Difference In Tailgate Mechanisms: Bullnose vs Bricknose?

Gary Lewis
Administrator
I'm in the market for an electric tailgate lock, and the hunt isn't going well.  I've only found one that comes close to fitting, and it is the Pop & Lock PL8200, which is said to be for 1987 – 2007 FORD F250 (FOR TAILGATE WITHOUT OEM MANUAL LOCK).  But they don't have one for earlier trucks.

So, what is the difference in the mechanisms between the Bullnose and Bricknose tailgates?  Can I make this one work?  Is there another one someone knows about?

Here's a snag from their instructions to show you what little info I have on it.  (And trust me, those blue wire taps will get thrown away, as I have the same opinion of them that Jim does.)

Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

Re: What Is The Difference In Tailgate Mechanisms: Bullnose vs Bricknose?

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
It's kinda crazy they don't show 1987-1997 F-150.
It was the '97-'98 model years when 250HD/350 were different, before the '99 "SuperDuty" update.

I can take some pics of the guts of my gate, but I don't have a Bullnose gate to compare.

LMK
 Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Too much other stuff to mention.
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Jim - Thanks for the offer.  I have the Bullnose gates so will take pics of the guts of one of them.  But it isn't urgent as I plan to spend some time today calling the tonneau and roof top tent manufacturers to see what will work..

But assuming I find that there is a combo that will do what I want to do then I'll need to figure out how to lock to 'gate.

I have a lock I bought years ago, but there's not much with it.  It is just the actuator.  And it can be moved w/o power.  I assumed that the locks wouldn't be able to be moved w/o power, so I'm confused as to how they work.

Here's the whole of the instruction page from the 1987+ lock.  Does it make sense to you how it works?

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
A) it says "All other Ford Ranger up to 2009 and Ford F-series trucks up to 1998"..
We know there were no differences between 150, and 250-350 up to the 1996 styling change.

B) I don't think it matters if you can manipulate it, since it is buried inside the tailgate.
All that matters is that the bolt throws out and blocks the scissor mechanism from being able to pull the latch rods.

These pot metal handles snap off all on their own. It's not like you could force it without defeating yourself.

Besides, as I have pointed out many times before. Locks are for honest people, opportunists and idiots.
A determined and experienced criminal will do whatever they please.
You may not like that, but I'm telling you like it is.
 Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
I understand, and agree, that a determined & experienced criminal can defeat the lock.  Any lock.  But I'm just trying to have reasonable security such that I can feel comfortable leaving things in the bed of the truck when we go in to eat, or overnight at a hotel.  (Obviously we won't leave the crown jewels there.)  That's the way Blue is set up, meaning a locking tonneau and tailgate lock, and we feel fine leaving things in the bed.

So you think the bolt just goes above one arm of the scissors mechanism and keeps it from going up?  That would make sense.  So if the one I have will bolt into the mechanism I have then problem solved.  Or even if it can be made to bolt into.

You've helped a lot as I hadn't twigged as to how it works.  So don't worry about the pics for now.  Let me see what I can figure out with the one I have.

THANKS!

Reply | Threaded
|

85lebaront2
Administrator
In reply to this post by Gary Lewis
Gary, might work, might not. Tailgate latches through 1986 were plunger style into a latch plate. Starting in 1987 through end of the OBS bodies (1996 for F150 and F250LD and 1997 for F250HD and F350) they are the station wagon style, similar to the doors. A dual rotating pair of hardened "jaws".

The early ones can be defeated (or opened) by forcing a big screw driver in and forcing the plunger in one side at a time. The later ones, the actual locking mechanism has to be released by pulling the rods (there is an access panel on the inside of the tailgate).

A friend over here had a Dodge Ram with a fiberglass cover on the bed, it actually covered the top of the tailgate and could be locked. I do not remember the brand and he (a) sold the truck and (b) is now in Idaho.
Bill AKA "LOBO" Profile

"Getting old is inevitable, growing up is optional" Darth Vader 1986 F350 460 converted to MAF/SEFI, E4OD 12X3 1/2 rear brakes, traction loc 3:55 gear, 160 amp 3G alternator Wife's 2011 Flex Limited Daily Driver 2009 Flex Limited with factory tow package Project car 1986 Chrysler LeBaron convertible 2.2L Turbo II, modified A413

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Well, I cannot tell you the difference in the tailgate mechanisms.  That's because the Bullnose tailgates don't have an access panel to remove, like the instructions imply the Bricknose and later 'gates do, so you cannot see the mechanism.  

From what I can tell there are only two alternatives if I want a locking Bullnose tailgate.  First, find a key-lock for the handle, and they may be available.  Second, cut up one of the spare 'gates I have and make a panel to fit BB's 'gate.

Jim - Could you shoot a pic of your access panel and measure it, please?  I don't mean for you to pull it off, just a pic of where it is and then dimensions.  Perhaps that will help me understand if the patch panel idea is reasonable.

Reply | Threaded
|

grumpin
A couple of these?

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Everbilt-4-1-2-in-Chrome-Key-Locking-Hasp-13527/202950144
Dane
1986 F250HD SC XLT Lariat 4x4 460 C6-Sold
1992 Bronco XLT 4x4 351W E4OD
1998 GMC Sierra SLE K1500 350 4L60E
Arizona
Reply | Threaded
|

85lebaront2
Administrator
Gary, the Bullnose tailgate mechanism is simply two pull rods and a scissors style mechanism the handle actuates. I can take pictures and measurements of Darth's since he has a 1996 bed and later tailgate.
Bill AKA "LOBO" Profile

"Getting old is inevitable, growing up is optional" Darth Vader 1986 F350 460 converted to MAF/SEFI, E4OD 12X3 1/2 rear brakes, traction loc 3:55 gear, 160 amp 3G alternator Wife's 2011 Flex Limited Daily Driver 2009 Flex Limited with factory tow package Project car 1986 Chrysler LeBaron convertible 2.2L Turbo II, modified A413

Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
I will.
But if I'm going there I'm going to pull the panel off and beat some dents out.
It is pretty much the whole inside of the tailgate.

It must be fun to fish the Bullnose mechanism in from the side!
 Jim,
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Jim - Ok, but I didn't mean to cause you extra work.  And "yep" on the fun.

Bill - I'd bet the mechanisms are the same but they just added an access panel to make it easier to install the parts.

Dane - That's a bit more "utilitarian" than I was looking for.  I was thinking more like this, although I've not found one yet:

Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
In reply to this post by grumpin
Dane,  you only need one of those, if it's fastened through the middle of the new tonneau cover.

It can flap right down onto the tailgate....
and Gary seems to have the heavy duty rivets to do it.
 Jim,
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
Holding right at freezing today
Supposed to break 50 tomorrow.
Maybe I'll get into it (and the radiator) then?
 Jim,
Reply | Threaded
|

grumpin
You’s guys are funny! Those hasps are kind of a pet peeve of mine.

Kind of like “it’s an easy fix!” Then why don’t you fix it?
Dane
1986 F250HD SC XLT Lariat 4x4 460 C6-Sold
1992 Bronco XLT 4x4 351W E4OD
1998 GMC Sierra SLE K1500 350 4L60E
Arizona
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
The last time I had to fix a problem those cheap locking hasps didn't solve, I added a security camera and wired a 60,000V neon sign transformer to the liquor cage.

Lit that SOB right up too!
Didn't *entirely* solve the issue, but created another layer of defense and positively identified the thief.
So, win, win for me.   😆
 Jim,
Reply | Threaded
|

85lebaront2
Administrator
Jim. don't take yours apart, if he needs inside pictures it's supposed to be mid 60s here.

Left end of panel:

Center of panel:

Width of panel:
Bill AKA "LOBO" Profile

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Bill - Thanks!  Never would have guessed it to be that big.  Wow!

No, I don't think I need a picture of the interior as mine might be different than yours.  And here's the best illustration from the MPC.

I submitted a question to Pop&Lock via email, so we'll see what they say.

I think what I need to do is pull to out a tailgate handle and see if there's a way to use the lock that I have to prevent the handle from being pulled up.  If so, then the question is if there's enough room inside the tailgate to put the lock in.  If so, can it go in via the handle's access hole.  If not, how big of a hole do I need to cut.

Thoughts?

Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
You're showing '82 & older from the parts catalogue with straps and bails, not cables and studs.

I have to get into mine sometime to beat the backhoe dent out anyhow.

Jim,
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Yes, but the lock mechanism is the same.  Here's the cables and studs, which doesn't show the locking mechanism as well:

Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
Ok, I understand the '82 illustration breaks out 43-400 into mechanism, handle and screws.

I still think I'd rather lock the tonneau into the gate than have to manually lock both parts.
I mean it's all cool if I could leave the tonneau locked and use my remote on the tailgate.
But failing that, I'd find something other that a 'trigger lock' for the latch handle.

But then, you know that's how I feel about 90% of this exercise. So why should this aspect be any different?
 Jim,