classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
4 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Welded backplate on Rear diff

Paulco
Hello

I was planning to fix a small leak on my rear diff and assumed I would just remove the back plate clean it up and re-seal it. However my rear diff has a back plate that is welded, the bolts are on the front facing side. Nothing in my manuals shows this. Do I have an after-market rear diff on it?

The truck is a 1982 short bed with 302 V8 and 4x4.

Paul
1982 Ford F-150 XL 4x4 Short Bed with 302 V8
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Welded backplate on Rear diff

Gary Lewis
Administrator
You probably have the Ford 9" rear diff.  It doesn't have a removable back cover.  You can see the instructions on it here: https://www.garysgaragemahal.com/axles--differentials.html.
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

Nothing Special
And that would be the stock axle.

You can still pull it out, clean it and reseal it.  But you need to first pull the axle shafts out.  It's not that hard, but it is more than just removing the cover.
Bob
Sorry, no '80 - '86 Ford trucks
"Oswald": 1997 F-250HD crew cab short box, 460, E4OD, 4.10 gears
"Pluto": 1971 Bronco, 302, NV3550 5 speed, Atlas 4.3:1 transfer case, 33" tires
"the motorhome": 2015 E-450-based 28' class C motorhome, 6.8L V-10
"the Dodge": 2007 Dodge 2500, 6.7L Cummins
Reply | Threaded
|

mat in tn
9" for sure. but before you dive into it spray clean all that is wet looking with something like brake clean. then let dry overnight or more to see where it originates from. it may be from a couple different places. removing the third member is a handful. it is as heavy as some transmissions. easier for some than others. the gaskets are usually made pretty good and the only "working" seal is the pinion yoke seal.