WHYDTYTT: What Have You Done To Your Truck Today?

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
7892 messages Options
1 ... 88899091929394 ... 395
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: WHYDTYTT: What Have You Done To Your Truck Today?

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
My shade tree skilzz saving my butt

Yes, that's an actual shade tree...

Horrible Fate comes through in the clutch.

The balancer sleeve now....

This is how I keep my bolts sorted

Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Too much other stuff to mention.
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
Ok, back to it.
She isn't going to fix herself!

Dead still and humid from the dew.
The cicadas are already droning enough to give me a headache.

Ugggg
 Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
This post was updated on .
3G gets a bath.
Note the helicoil and white LRC regulator(F4ZU-10316-AC is the engineering number)

I'm just waiting on paint, but it's SO humid everything is flashing matte.
So, no lip gloss for her...

Jim,
Reply | Threaded
|

Rembrant
I stuck a "new" used fender on the Blue Mule last night. I didn't realize until after I cleaned it up that it's full of little dents...lol. Oh well, it will make easy work for the body shop next week when they remove it to install new ones. It fits OK at a glance, but it's a bit goofy where it meets the hood/headlight bezel. Just cheap repops that were on the '85 that I junked.

1994 F150 4x2 Flareside. 5.0 w/MAF, 4R70W, stock.
1984 F150 4X2 Flareside. Mild 302 w/ 5spd. Sold.
1980 F150 4X4 Flareside. 300i6 w/ 5spd. Sold in 2021.
1980 F100 4X2 Flareside. 351w/2bbl w/NP435. Sold in 1995

Reply | Threaded
|

salans7
Stopped by the junkyard to pick up a chrome dome/map light from a 92 Regular Cab that I spotted last week. It's in great shape and only has very minor corrosion on it. I think $5 was a much better price than what they go for on Fleabay.
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
I don't know about you, from Ocala, but mid 90's humidity up around 65-70% and no breeze is kicking this yankees 🐴.

I did get the seal installed, the speedisleeve set, all the stainless bolts degreased, threads cleaned of PST, and my mess cleaned up.
I set my pop up over the truck cause I need some shade.

Now I need a break, and to get hydrated. I was starting to feel nauseous and tingly.
Getting old is better than dead, but it ain't all that great.

Looks good!

Not the "right" way, but good enough for the kind of girls I go with.

Gaskets setting up on a HDPE plate.
 Jim,
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
So, I'm waiting for silicone and I decide to get into my spring hanger.

Why didn't Ford put a drain hole in these from the factory?  😖

Come out in pieces..

Yeah, not pretty. Going to get the flap wheel and some red oxide primer before the new one goes on.

A small pile of misery.
 Jim,
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
In reply to this post by ArdWrknTrk
All - Jim - You are making good progress, but I can feel the heat from here. While you don’t know “old” yet, please stay hydrated so you don’t know “dead” either.

Cory - Are you saying the shop will put new dents in the fender?  😳

Shaun - That’s a good buy. Well done. 👌

All - I made it to LMC in the KC area this morn. Not much to see and nothing to tell. Hopefully I can get back when the corporate folk are in so I can talk with someone.
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

salans7
ArdWrknTrk wrote
I don't know about you, from Ocala, but mid 90's humidity up around 65-70% and no breeze is kicking this yankees 🐴.
It's 93 degrees with 52% humidity here. I've been outside working on both of my trucks and I'm probably on bottle of water number 8 at this point, and I've made about four trips to the hose to spray my arms and head. And this is considered a good weather day.
Reply | Threaded
|

Rembrant
ArdWrknTrk wrote
So, I'm waiting for silicone and I decide to get into my spring hanger.

Why didn't Ford put a drain hole in these from the factory?  😖
I replaced all four of mine, and the upper shock mounts, and removed the exhaust hanger. That was 23 rivets...drilled every one of them out. I was pretty sick of them in the end. New hangers are relatively inexpensive though.

If you have rusty hanger issues, make sure to check the frame behind the shock mounts too. I had to weld in 2 patches...one behind a spring hanger, and one between the 3 bolts of the LH upper shock mount. Driver's side always rusts out first, in the areas where there is winter at least.

Reply | Threaded
|

Rembrant
In reply to this post by salans7
salans7 wrote
It's 93 degrees with 52% humidity here. I've been outside working on both of my trucks and I'm probably on bottle of water number 8 at this point, and I've made about four trips to the hose to spray my arms and head.
High 80's here today and probably 65% humidity. May have even kissed 90 deg, not sure...but this is exceptionally hot for us. By the time I get back home closer to the ocean, it's foggy and more like 80F. Some people hate the fog...I kinda like it when it's hot....it's like shade...lol.

Reply | Threaded
|

salans7
93 is low compared to where we've been, it's been hovering around the upper 90's for the last few weeks. Thankfully I live near a giant forest so the trees help keep the sun at bay. There's very few trees where I work, so my truck is usually a steamy 140 degrees when I get into it. I don't even close the door until I feel the A/C blowing cold.
Reply | Threaded
|

1986F150Six
Administrator
I suppose it is all relative. My son served in Bagdad, Iraq in 2007. The daytime temps were in the 120+ range and the soldiers had ~70# of gear.
Reply | Threaded
|

salans7
And that's exactly why I try hard not to complain about the weather. I've never had to experience that kind of struggle and for that I'm fortunate.
Reply | Threaded
|

Rembrant
In reply to this post by 1986F150Six
1986F150Six wrote
I suppose it is all relative. My son served in Bagdad, Iraq in 2007. The daytime temps were in the 120+ range and the soldiers had ~70# of gear.
Man that heat is brutal. I used to travel to the Middle East with a former employer, and the dash in the rental car would say 49C all day long (120F), and even then, I'm sure it was because that was as high as the  temp sensor read.

Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
My brother did two tours over in the sandbox.

My time was spent in the Central American jungle.
Mosquito Coast.... Yeah, no
🥵
 Jim,
Reply | Threaded
|

salans7
And just like that, 84 degrees and a 10 minute significant weather advisory. Oh Florida.

Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
In reply to this post by Rembrant
Thankfully I didn't see anything that bad.

My phone is dead and charging, so pics tomorrow...

Prime Next Day Air got my hoses to me this afternoon , so she's all full of fresh coolant and ready to fire up.

I called it quits on getting the sleeve out of the spring eye.
Tomorrow is a fresh day, and ill just cut it with a sawzall and fold it in with a punch or chisel.

The rusty metal primer should be dry.
I'll give it a quick shot of satin black and bolt the perch in.

Getting the new bushing in is always a xxxxx, with me usually breaking numerous grade 8 bolts to get it pulled into place.

Any tips????
 Jim,
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
The grease that comes with the poly bushings would make that job easier.  And somewhere, by someone, I was told to put a bushing in hot water to soften them up before installing them.  I think it was the tech at Energy Suspensions.
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
These aren't poly bushings, they're metal sleeved rubber bushings.
I have to get the metal sleeve into the spring eye.

I think a little judicious rust removal with a drum sander and some EP grease will help.

BTW, you'd be proud of me.... using white lithium grease on my timing case and water pump bolts. 😈
There is little pressure, no motion, and they don't need to go in and out often.
Even with the corrosion in the ports I pictured, the shanks were perfect!

You better get on a bolt set for Big Blue's engine.....
 Jim,
1 ... 88899091929394 ... 395