Violent shaking

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
16 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Violent shaking

Bullnosefan95
So I have been having this issue over the past couple days. It started off minor with minor vibration when accelerating from a dead stop. Now it’s violently shaking the whole truck when I accelerate from a dead stop. I don’t know what it could be but its very worrying to me. Does anyone have any idea what it could be?

P.s. it only does it from stopped. It doesn’t do it after a couple seconds and doesn’t do it when I speed up from slowing down.
1986 F-250 Diesel
7.3 IDI (It was a conversion due to the 6.9 being bad in it originally)
2WD
C6 Auto
4.10 Rear
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Violent shaking

Hstrymkrs
Have you checked the U-joints on your drive shaft?

William
1985 Ford Bronco XLT, 4.9L, NP-435 transmission, NP0208 transfer case, 3.55 limited slip rear end,TTB Dana 44 with 3.54
Reply | Threaded
|

Bullnosefan95
I have not but I will take a look real quick
1986 F-250 Diesel
2WD
C6 Auto
4.10 Rear
Reply | Threaded
|

Bullnosefan95
I joints seem fine. Any other places I should look?
1986 F-250 Diesel
2WD
C6 Auto
4.10 Rear
Reply | Threaded
|

Ford F834
Administrator
Pinion bearing wear/rear-end yoke movement? The early (short pinion) Sterlings have issues with this…

Another thing to look at (if the driveline is tight) are the front caliper pins. One of mine became loose and caused “death wobble”. Does applying the break smooth it out at all?
SHORT BED 4-DOOR DIESEL: 1986 F350 4x4 under construction-- 7.3 IDIT ZF5+GVOD

STRAIGHT SIX 4X4: 1981 F150 2wd to 4x4-- 300 I6 close ratio diesel T19, hydroboost brakes, Saginaw steering

BIG F: 1995 F-Superduty under construction— converting to 6.9L IDI diesel ZF5+DNE2
Reply | Threaded
|

red1980F150
I was thinking the same thing on brakes.  If it's sticking enough it could cause an issue (if on the front).  

That pinion gear is pretty gnarly.
John

Red 1980 F150 Custom - Standard cab, long bed, 4WD
302 v8, Auto transmission
Almost completely stock, quite clean but not perfect.
Reply | Threaded
|

Bullnosefan95
The rear diff is something that’s on my agenda to get taken care of next. There is no wobble on the drive shaft what do ever. I will have to look at the front brakes in the morning. It might make sense if it is the front calipers. I was just hoping it wouldn’t be anything major that I would have to deal with right now.
1986 F-250 Diesel
2WD
C6 Auto
4.10 Rear
Reply | Threaded
|

grumpin
I had a vibe that was u joints. Looked at them twice. Thought they were ok.

Finally jacked up the truck and could see they were bad when I rotated the driveshaft.

Something to consider if you don’t find anything else.
Dane
1986 F250HD SC XLT Lariat 4x4 460 C6-Sold
1992 Bronco XLT 4x4 351W E4OD
1998 GMC Sierra SLE K1500 350 4L60E
Arizona
Reply | Threaded
|

ratdude747
This. Bad U joints are hard to diagnose when the driveshaft is under load. With parking brakes on and shifted to neutral, try it then. Any play is no bueno. Even so, jacked with the wheels free to turn is the best way to check.
1984 F150: 300 L6, AOD, RWD. EEC IV / TFI, Feedback Carter YFA Carb. Stock everything but radio (for now).
Reply | Threaded
|

Bullnosefan95
Well I looked at the brakes and they look completely fine. I guess U-joints are next to replace. Luckily they are not too expensive.
1986 F-250 Diesel
2WD
C6 Auto
4.10 Rear
Reply | Threaded
|

red1980F150
Sometimes you can feel a u-joint at speed too if you can completely unload the driveshaft.  I learned about bad u-joints on a couple different vehicles that way, you can feel it vibrate.  You would notice it if you are cruising and you let off the gas partially and the vehicle is maintaining speed without drive from the engine (i.e. going downhill) but you're giving it just enough gas to not drag the driveshaft either, thus having no load on it in acceleration or deceleration.  
John

Red 1980 F150 Custom - Standard cab, long bed, 4WD
302 v8, Auto transmission
Almost completely stock, quite clean but not perfect.
Reply | Threaded
|

Bullnosefan95
Yeah I’m starting to feel some vibration while driving. Hopefully I can get it fixed soon. The main reason my truck is constantly under maintenance is because I scrap part time and constantly have a trailer hooked up to it because I live in an apartment and have no one close enough to me to park it at. But luckily the u-joints are something I can work on at work because I’ll be getting a bench vise soon enough and I’ll have all the tools I need to replace them.
1986 F-250 Diesel
2WD
C6 Auto
4.10 Rear
Reply | Threaded
|

Bullnosefan95
Can anyone recommend some good U-joints for a c-6 auto to a full float rear with 4:10 gears? I don’t do a lot of heavy towing but I do haul loads of atleast 2000lbs or more quite frequently. The rear differential has two snap rings and two sides that bolt up and the transmission yoke has 4 snap rings.
1986 F-250 Diesel
2WD
C6 Auto
4.10 Rear
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
I like Moog and Dana u-joints.  And the Rock Auto catalog is pretty good for figuring out which ones fit.  Go here, which should take you to the u-joint selections for your 1986 F250 w/a diesel and see the part numbers and sizes.  But you'll have to measure what you have to ensure you get the right ones.

Then, armed with the part numbers, you can order from RA or even Amazon.
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

Ford F834
Administrator
In reply to this post by Bullnosefan95
Whatever the brand, I always make sure to get greaseable ones. That’s my preference and a lot of them are not (greaseable) these days…
SHORT BED 4-DOOR DIESEL: 1986 F350 4x4 under construction-- 7.3 IDIT ZF5+GVOD

STRAIGHT SIX 4X4: 1981 F150 2wd to 4x4-- 300 I6 close ratio diesel T19, hydroboost brakes, Saginaw steering

BIG F: 1995 F-Superduty under construction— converting to 6.9L IDI diesel ZF5+DNE2
Reply | Threaded
|

Bullnosefan95
Would it be possible that fluid is leaking from the rear differential and causing the vibration? My rear differential is covered with grease and oil, and after putting the transmission in neutral I felt no movement from the drive shaft or U-joints. I will still replace them to be on the safe side but could the rear end cause these problems. If so how bad is it to repair it. I’ve never done differentials before.
1986 F-250 Diesel
2WD
C6 Auto
4.10 Rear