classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
54 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Vin - Location

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Right - the ZF5 crossmember bolts into the original holes in the frame but is offset to the rear about an inch.

Perhaps we need a page on crossmembers?  With pictures, part numbers, usage, etc?
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

PetesPonies
In reply to this post by Gary Lewis
And anything on a door is not legal anyway. It's just for convenience, not titling purposes. Finding a frame VIN is what will be needed by the authorities.
Pete's Ponies
Mustang RUSToration & Performance

1982 F100 Flareside
1983 Bronco

Reply | Threaded
|

Ford F834
Administrator
Gary, I have seen two partial vin’s on a junkyard truck before. One was under the seat and the other was under the heater blower/above the starter. But it looks like both of yours may be under the cab?
SHORT BED 4-DOOR DIESEL: 1986 F350 4x4 under construction-- 7.3 IDIT ZF5+GVOD

STRAIGHT SIX 4X4: 1981 F150 2wd to 4x4-- 300 I6 close ratio diesel T19, hydroboost brakes, Saginaw steering

BIG F: 1995 F-Superduty under construction— converting to 6.9L IDI diesel ZF5+DNE2
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Yep, both are under the cab.  

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

Ford F834
Administrator
Wow. That is interesting. Two is rare enough, but that forward location is a new one on me. I looked pretty much everywhere, but if the clearance is very tight there, perhaps that’s where it was hiding on my ‘82 donor?
SHORT BED 4-DOOR DIESEL: 1986 F350 4x4 under construction-- 7.3 IDIT ZF5+GVOD

STRAIGHT SIX 4X4: 1981 F150 2wd to 4x4-- 300 I6 close ratio diesel T19, hydroboost brakes, Saginaw steering

BIG F: 1995 F-Superduty under construction— converting to 6.9L IDI diesel ZF5+DNE2
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
The forward one is the one I took the pic of a week or two ago.  And it is tight.

Reply | Threaded
|

PetesPonies
Since I'm more of an old Ford truck guy . . the F100 and F150s in the sixties and seventies had a VIN on the right side of the front frame. It would be just in front of the cab. Go back farther, sol into the late 20s and 30s . . it was actually right under the cowl. You couldn't see it without removing the cowl/cab.
Pete's Ponies
Mustang RUSToration & Performance

1982 F100 Flareside
1983 Bronco

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Pete - Ford seems to have been stamping a partial VIN on the frame for years, although not always in the same place.  But only stamping it on some of the small-blocks and never on transmissions.  At the same time Chrysler was stamping both engines and transmissions, and GM stamped lots of things.

Anyway, I've added links to this thread on the VIN decoding page (Specifications/VIN Decoding) so people can see what's been said about where the partials are.  Or might be.

As for the idea of a crossmember page, if I don't take pics of that E4OD one pretty quickly it'll be too late.  And, I have a ZF5 crossmember I should also shoot.  Plus whatever else I have in the attic.  

Reply | Threaded
|

85lebaront2
Administrator
Gary, if you want to use a complete VIN for the later trucks, feel free to use Darth's. I can send it, but I believe you may already have it in the VECI label or vacuum diagrams.

Cute story, yesterday I went up to Auto Zone in Onley to get some new wiper blades. One of the kids working there asked me how hard it was to replace the ball joints on Darth. He was adamant that ALL twin I-beam Ford trucks had ball joints. I finally started him, turned the wheels all the way to the left and told him to show me the ball joints. He had never seen a twin I-beam with king pins. I did tell him that as far as I knew, that was the last year the F350 2WD didn't have ball joints like his Ranger.
Bill AKA "LOBO" Profile

"Getting old is inevitable, growing up is optional" Darth Vader 1986 F350 460 converted to MAF/SEFI, E4OD 12X3 1/2 rear brakes, traction loc 3:55 gear, 160 amp 3G alternator Wife's 2011 Flex Limited Daily Driver 2009 Flex Limited with factory tow package Project car 1986 Chrysler LeBaron convertible 2.2L Turbo II, modified A413

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Bill - Not sure what you mean by "use a complete VIN".  What did you have in mind?

As for the story, folks seem to think that since they've not seen it in their short lives it didn't happen.  Gotta get out a bit more.  

Reply | Threaded
|

85lebaront2
Administrator
You have been just showing pieces of VINs, I have no problem if you want to dissect my full VIN for demonstration purposes. Darth is an import anyway.
Bill AKA "LOBO" Profile

"Getting old is inevitable, growing up is optional" Darth Vader 1986 F350 460 converted to MAF/SEFI, E4OD 12X3 1/2 rear brakes, traction loc 3:55 gear, 160 amp 3G alternator Wife's 2011 Flex Limited Daily Driver 2009 Flex Limited with factory tow package Project car 1986 Chrysler LeBaron convertible 2.2L Turbo II, modified A413

Reply | Threaded
|

mattcad
Hello All,

New member to the group and thankful to have found. Looking forward to being able to both gain and add some value. I have a question about VIN plates. About a yr ago I purchased an 86 project f150, it was a Father son project that was started and not finished, lots of parts etc. Along the way, the cab was replaced, so the VIN plate on the cab was not the original truck they started out with. During the transaction, I knew this and I did get a VIN plate which was considered the VIN plate from the previous cab and matched the title I received. My question is, this VIN plate doesn't look like the other 80-86 plates I've seen. I reached out to the seller whom I don't feel had any deceptive intentions at all, and they did recall the plate being glued on the dash which now in hindsight was odd. All the plates I have seen are riveted on the dash. Curious to what everyone thinks, its clearly a F150 tag of sorts, just not sure where it came from or belongs on the truck . Im attaching a pic of the plate. Any thoughts are appreciated Vin plate
Matt
1981 F150 SWB 300 4 spd
1986 F150 SWB 302 4 spd
1984 F150 Flareside 300 4spd
1987 F350 Dump 460 5 spd
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
That really doesn't look right.  But you are correct, all the VIN plates I've seen have been riveted on, and with something like a hex-headed rivet.

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
In reply to this post by mattcad
mattcad wrote
Hello All,

New member to the group and thankful to have found. Looking forward to being able to both gain and add some value. I have a question about VIN plates. About a yr ago I purchased an 86 project f150, it was a Father son project that was started and not finished, lots of parts etc. Along the way, the cab was replaced, so the VIN plate on the cab was not the original truck they started out with. During the transaction, I knew this and I did get a VIN plate which was considered the VIN plate from the previous cab and matched the title I received. My question is, this VIN plate doesn't look like the other 80-86 plates I've seen. I reached out to the seller whom I don't feel had any deceptive intentions at all, and they did recall the plate being glued on the dash which now in hindsight was odd. All the plates I have seen are riveted on the dash. Curious to what everyone thinks, its clearly a F150 tag of sorts, just not sure where it came from or belongs on the truck . Im attaching a pic of the plate. Any thoughts are appreciated Vin plate
Bummer!  I missed that this was your first post.  Welcome to the forum, but... you missed the email that said to go to the New Members Start Here folder, read the guidelines, and then post an introduction there before posting anywhere else.

We do that because we have our guidelines there and want you to have had every opportunity to read them as we will hold you to them.

So before discussing the VIN more please go read the guidelines and post an intro in that folder.

Reply | Threaded
|

mattcad
Thanks, I did see it and reviewed the guidelines shortly after joining as the email directed, I just missed the part about completing an intro post. I went back and did an introduction. Thank you
Matt
1981 F150 SWB 300 4 spd
1986 F150 SWB 302 4 spd
1987 F350 Dump 460 5 spd
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
We appreciate that.
It puts Gary at ease when he knows everybody has acknowledged the guidelines.

I can't say I've ever seen a tag glued in place.
Here where I live the main DMV office can emboss a replacement VIN and they are adhesive foil, so get destroyed if peeled off.

I'm not sure what the rules are where you reside.
 Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Too much other stuff to mention.
Reply | Threaded
|

mattcad
Its interesting because the tag contains all the correct information, so its either a repo from a 3rd party (odd enough) or an OEM tag/plate, but its not consistent with anything anyone has seen on that period and model truck.  If someone were making just a VIN plate for the truck, maybe related to a illegible plate, major repair at some point, or theft etc, why include the other data like a buck tag, just stamp the VIN like they all have from the Factory, its just weird. I'm hoping someone on here is able to shed some light on it. I may have another parts truck if I can't title it. I'm in PA and its like giving up your first born for a title
Matt
1981 F150 SWB 300 4 spd
1986 F150 SWB 302 4 spd
1987 F350 Dump 460 5 spd
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
My first thought was that it looked like a buck tag, but mine are more rectangular. (rad support, firewall, front of bed, and they're all screwed on in one corner.

Maybe it's just because I have a newer body style, but I don't think Ford would change those things.
 Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
You know.... I'm going to suggest that that tag came in the owners manual when first delivered.

The dealers would use a carbon printer like an old credit card machine to get all that information onto their service invoices.
 Jim,
Reply | Threaded
|

mattcad
Possibly, I've heard of that glove box tag. Actually, I may be able to check on that.Thanks........ Makes sense and would be consistent with this type tag having no mounting holes. Doesn't really help me get a true VIN plate with matching PA title, I was hoping someone said, "oh yeah in 86 the started gluing them on the dash".
Matt
1981 F150 SWB 300 4 spd
1986 F150 SWB 302 4 spd
1987 F350 Dump 460 5 spd