Vibration with hubs locked

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
28 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Vibration with hubs locked

nilknarf007
1985 F150 4x4 with 4.9 and NP 435 manual transmission.  When I lock the hubs, I get a vibration that is proportional in speed with the rolling of the tires.  No movement, no vibration.  Even vibrates when still in 2wd with hubs locked.  Checked the U-joints and all related mounts, and can't find a problem.  It's so bad, I've only gone about 8-10 mph in 4wd.  Anyone have any ideas?

nilknarf007
1985 F150
4.9 IL6
NP435
4x4
Rob F.
1985 4x4 4.9 i6 NP435, HEI distributor, smog delete, Clifford intake, twin Weber 38/38s.
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Vibration with hubs locked

Gary Lewis
Administrator
I suspect you have a bad u-joint in that front axle.  So I'd lock one hub at a time and see which one causes the vibration.  If one does cause a vibration I'd lock the other one in, by itself, and engage the transfer case to prove that everything else is smooth.  If that is smooth you'll know where your problem lies.
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
In reply to this post by nilknarf007
Don't lock the axle on dry pavement?

There should be a sticker on top of the driver's sun visor explaining this and why it isn't a full-time 4wd system.
 Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Too much other stuff to mention.
Reply | Threaded
|

Ifitaintbroke
Totally off-topic for this thread, and sorry I can't help with your issue, but how do you like the Clifford setup?
Bradley
86 f250 supercab longbed, 4x4, 460 bored to 472 cubes, ported heads, ARP rod bolts, EFI pistons, 5.08/5.41 lift 114° lobe separation flat tappet cam, notched lifters, Smith Brothers pushrods, stock rockers, Eddy Performer intake, Holley 1850 or 3310 depending on mood, custom curved points dizzy, MSD analog 6al triggered by Pertronix module, zf5 swap, 3g alternator, custom instrument cluster, dual tanks with 38 Gal rear for 57 Gal of fuel capacity, far too much more to mention.

98 Ranger standard cab, rwd, 5-speed, 2.5L, glass pack muffler, dual plugs wired to fire at the same time, coming up on 300,000 miles before too long.

Averaging 26-27 mpg.

South Georgia.
Reply | Threaded
|

nilknarf007
In reply to this post by Gary Lewis
Thanks Gary.  I gave that a shot, and I got the vibration with both sides.  Keep in mind though, I'm really going slow.  The drive shaft to the front end is in really good shape.  Not going fast enough for a u-joint problem to rear its head unless something was missing from it.  I'm afraid if I go faster than idling in 1st gear (actually 2nd), something will fly apart.

As far as switching the truck into 4wd, I'm familiar with how to do that.  Plus, there isn't any dry pavement for miles.  We're in the middle of a good snow.

I did notice, however, that my 4wd shift lever doesn't have the positive "detents" that it used to.  They're still there, but not as pronounced as it used to be.
Rob F.
1985 4x4 4.9 i6 NP435, HEI distributor, smog delete, Clifford intake, twin Weber 38/38s.
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
Most of this era TC levers use a block of rubber to push the stick against the detents.
You might find the rubber has hardened with age.

Edit: is the pivot pin rusted solid or packed with mud?
 Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
How is the pinion slop and backlash in the front axle?

Sometimes the lube in the front diff never gets changed and the gears and bearings eat themselves.
 Jim,
Reply | Threaded
|

nilknarf007
ArdWrknTrk, the rubber you mentioned has seen better days.  I'll have to look into once I can spend some time underneath while dry.

There is no slop that I can feel.  There is no play front to back, side to side, or rotationally.  Oh, and I can rotate the front drive shaft with my hand while in neutral and unlocked.  It's not easy, but I can rotate it.

I changed the front diff fluid when I bought the truck a little over 2 years ago.
Rob F.
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
Okay. We can eliminate bad mesh and the pinion getting sucked into the carrier as causes for your jerky front axle.

And you say it doesn't change going straight ahead or turning?
 Jim,
Reply | Threaded
|

nilknarf007
Nope.  Stays the same.  But I haven't driven it over about 10 MPH in 4wd due to the vibration.  Don't know if it goes away at speed, but I doubt it based on what I'm feeling.
Rob F.
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
I'm beginning to wonder if it might be in the transfer case.

Have you tried both high and low?
Is the front output slip or fixed yoke?
 Jim,
Reply | Threaded
|

nilknarf007
Can't get it to go into low, but I can't get under it enough to see if there is an obvious problem with that.  It's a fixed yoke.  I guess I need to find a lift so I can see under it.
Rob F.
Reply | Threaded
|

Nothing Special
In reply to this post by ArdWrknTrk
Try dropping the front driveshaft and driving it with the hubs locked.  If there's no vibration then youi know all the axle U-joints are good.

Another diagnostic to try could be to leave the hubs unlocked and put the transfer case in 4WD (with the driveshaft in).  Not that I know what that would tell you, but it MIGHT be interesting.

But another thing you said would concern me.  you said that it wasn't easy to turn the front driveshaft.  It should be pretty easy.  So I'd want to figure out where the drag was coming from.  (If it's really cold out there could be a fair amount of drag from the ring gear in the gear lube.  But otherwise nothing should be very hard to turn.)
Bob
Sorry, no '80 - '86 Ford trucks
"Oswald": 1997 F-250HD crew cab short box, 460, E4OD, 4.10 gears
"Pluto": 1971 Bronco, 302, NV3550 5 speed, Atlas 4.3:1 transfer case, 33" tires
"the motorhome": 2015 E-450-based 28' class C motorhome, 6.8L V-10
"the Dodge": 2007 Dodge 2500, 6.7L Cummins
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
Your shift stick is probably rusted up to where it can't move sideways enough to get into the neutral gate.

I'm going to suggest PB Blaster or the corrosion buster of your choice and just working it back & forth until it starts to free up, then red 'n tacky grease or something that won't wash off

R&R to clean it on the bench can take a bunch of time and you have to be careful to reassemble it correctly.

Bob has some good points, but if you can't get under to lube up the linkage on the side of the gearbox I don't expect you can pull the driveshaft.

If you have access to a lift put it in gear while up in the air so you can get a better look at what's bent or binding

Please report back with what you find
 Jim,
Reply | Threaded
|

FuzzFace2
In reply to this post by Nothing Special
Nothing Special wrote
Try dropping the front driveshaft and driving it with the hubs locked.  If there's no vibration then youi know all the axle U-joints are good.

Another diagnostic to try could be to leave the hubs unlocked and put the transfer case in 4WD (with the driveshaft in).  Not that I know what that would tell you, but it MIGHT be interesting.

But another thing you said would concern me.  you said that it wasn't easy to turn the front driveshaft.  It should be pretty easy.  So I'd want to figure out where the drag was coming from.  (If it's really cold out there could be a fair amount of drag from the ring gear in the gear lube.  But otherwise nothing should be very hard to turn.)
I do like this if he can drop the front shaft as it would tell where the issue is.
Dave ----
Dave G.
81 F100 flare side 300 six / AA OD / NP435 / 2.75 gear
http://cars.grantskingdom1.com/index.php/1980-Ford-F100?page=1
81 F100 style side 300 six/SROD parts truck -RIP
http://cars.grantskingdom1.com/index.php/1981-Ford-F100
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
I've been driving in front wheel drive for a few weeks now.
The one observation I have is that universal joints are not CV axles.

They're always going to bind and jerk the truck around especially in low speed turns.
And that is more acute depending on how much traction you actually have, given your tires tread and width.
 Jim,
Reply | Threaded
|

mat in tn
this is why drive shafts need to be installed with both universals set at the same angles and be as true as possible in the most normal driving position. fully loaded or empty is the extreme of the range.
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
When you turn the wheels the universal at the hub is necessarily going to be at a more acute angle than the fixed angle between the center case and the control arm or beam
 Jim,
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
Now here's a brilliant idea for Chad/little beefy.

You want a retrofit stuff to these trucks?
Come up with a CV axle retrofit. 💡
 Jim,
Reply | Threaded
|

Nothing Special
Years ago I met and 'wheeled with a guy who had a '70s vintage Toyota Land Cruiser.  He was really excited because he had just installed a kit that swapped single Cardan joints in to replace the factory CV joints in his front axle!
Bob
Sorry, no '80 - '86 Ford trucks
"Oswald": 1997 F-250HD crew cab short box, 460, E4OD, 4.10 gears
"Pluto": 1971 Bronco, 302, NV3550 5 speed, Atlas 4.3:1 transfer case, 33" tires
"the motorhome": 2015 E-450-based 28' class C motorhome, 6.8L V-10
"the Dodge": 2007 Dodge 2500, 6.7L Cummins