Very nice Rosewood Speaker/door Cover Panels

Danny G
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Very nice Rosewood Speaker/door Cover Panels

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Those are beautiful!  And fairly rare, especially in what looks to be perfect condition.  And the price is good!
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

salans7
Most if not all of the tabs look to be broken so they're pretty worthless without an alternative mounting solution.
Reply | Threaded
|

kramttocs
Administrator
They definitely didn't design them to be removed and reinstalled easily.
Shaun - was it you that had the aluminum ones? Assume those survived better?

I really like these panels but like the ones in the listing, it's hard to find them where the crank hasn't dug into them.
Scott
'Camano' 1986 F250 Supercab XLT Lariat 460/C6
'Chanute' 1980 F350 C&C 400/NP 435 - Gin Pole

But there ain't nothin' wrong with the radio
Reply | Threaded
|

salans7
kramttocs wrote
They definitely didn't design them to be removed and reinstalled easily.
Shaun - was it you that had the aluminum ones? Assume those survived better?

I really like these panels but like the ones in the listing, it's hard to find them where the crank hasn't dug into them.
Yes, and it's been a long time but I believe at least 75% of my tabs were still present as I was very careful when I removed them and installed them. I tried pulling a plastic set in the junkyard once, and that was when I learned just how brittle the plastic tabs were. Almost all of them snapped right off at the most delicate of touches.
Reply | Threaded
|

Danny G
In reply to this post by kramttocs
Double sided 3m tape
1986 F-150|Standard Cab|4x2|300Six|C6Transmission w/3.08 rear|Name:TBD
2021 Ranger XLT Super Crew
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
TheScatch wrote
Double sided 3m tape
I agree.  With pieces that nice I'd find a way to mount them, even w/o the tabs.
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

Dyn Blin
I've never seen those aluminum pieces anywhere else.  Those looked amazing.  
Sonoma County,CA
1982 F150 Flareside XLS
NP435 4x4
351W Motorcraft 2150

Reply | Threaded
|

Ford F834
Administrator
Scott, I’ve run into the aluminum type a couple of times and I believe I may still have a beat up pair. I have quite a few of these panels that I collected with the intent to clone the brushed aluminum finish. Personally I think the plastic ones survived better, especially for crank windows. The aluminum ones are thin metal over press board. Both like to warp, but the cranks rub the woodgrain off the aluminum ones leaving big bright silver arcs where the crank rubs. The plastic ones have the woodgrain applied over brown paint, and the plastic behind that is brown or black. In general the plastic does not show scratches as bad. In general the thicker plastic ones look and feel more robust, but that may just be my bias.

On the pair for sale, note that they have been very aggressively cleaned, and probably polished with wax. The silver pin stripes are completely rubbed off. The seller probably thought this was an improvement over partial lines. The cloth over the speaker slots is also missing. I’m betting if there were any tabs left he broke them off for uniformity and trying not to draw attention to it. They are a decent price, and not badly scratched, but I would have preferred to receive them before the seller “cleaned them up”. One advantage of the aluminum ones is that the pin stripes are aluminum showing through the rosewood print so they can’t wear off...

As for mounting, many have used adhesive. This might be the best answer, but I was wanting to try to epoxy elevator bolts to the 4 corners and thin nuts on the back side of the panel (with thread locker and trim the elevator bolt flush). I still need to investigate if there is enough clearance for this.
SHORT BED 4-DOOR DIESEL: 1986 F350 4x4 under construction-- 7.3 IDIT ZF5+GVOD

STRAIGHT SIX 4X4: 1981 F150 2wd to 4x4-- 300 I6 close ratio diesel T19, hydroboost brakes, Saginaw steering

BIG F: 1995 F-Superduty under construction— converting to 6.9L IDI diesel ZF5+DNE2
Reply | Threaded
|

kramttocs
Administrator
Thanks - great info and photos. I was assuming the aluminum were a single solid piece.
Scott

Reply | Threaded
|

Ford F834
Administrator
kramttocs wrote
Thanks - great info and photos. I was assuming the aluminum were a single solid piece.
Unfortunately not, they are thin aluminum over press board.

SHORT BED 4-DOOR DIESEL: 1986 F350 4x4 under construction-- 7.3 IDIT ZF5+GVOD

STRAIGHT SIX 4X4: 1981 F150 2wd to 4x4-- 300 I6 close ratio diesel T19, hydroboost brakes, Saginaw steering

BIG F: 1995 F-Superduty under construction— converting to 6.9L IDI diesel ZF5+DNE2
Reply | Threaded
|

kramttocs
Administrator
That photo is perfect. I had no idea they were that different.

Also, if you get a chance - can you check out my question here? Seems like it might be something you know about.
Scott