Vacuum tuning carb

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
5 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Vacuum tuning carb

User811780
Simple question but where should I connect a vacuum gauge in order to tune the carb?  It seems to be running very rich. About 8mpg.
1981 F150 4WD 300 I6 C6 Regular Cab Long Bed
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Vacuum tuning carb

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Most carbs have two vacuum connections - manifold vacuum, meaning always on, and ported, meaning on above idle.  But the Carter 1bbl usually has one connection and it is actually neither manifold or ported.

So I'd connect on the vacuum tree that is usually on the firewall.  It should have a vacuum connection from the engine and then vacuum lines to the HVAC system and to the transmission.  That should give you full manifold vacuum.
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

ratdude747
I'll have to double check, but I think the vacuum on the firewall is downstream of the vacuum reservoir and check valve... not ideal for vacuum gauges if you want an accurate view of what's actually happening in the manifold.

I usually pop the hose on the air cleaner's thermal valve when I need to connect a vacuum gauge on my 300. Connect up with a barbed fitting if the gauge doesn't have something that fits the hose. Doubly useful since often such adjustments require the air cleaner to be off anyway. But did 1981 have such a hot/cold dual intake setup? If not, just pick a free port on the manifold tree (there should be a few spare ones capped off)... and while you're there check all the caps as they like to rot and cause massive vacuum leaks (probably not in your case if you're running rich!)
1984 F150: 300 L6, AOD, RWD. EEC IV / TFI, Feedback Carter YFA Carb. Stock everything but radio (for now).
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
In the pic below, from our page at Documentation/Vacuum Systems/Vacuum System Requirements, you can see the vacuum manifold on the firewall in the upper right and the tee/check valve in the upper center.  So if you pull a cap off an unused port on the manifold you'll be ahead of the check valve/tee.

Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

User811780
Thanks, picture is very helpful!!!
1981 F150 4WD 300 I6 C6 Regular Cab Long Bed