classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
25 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Vacuum line routing help needed.

rbond
LARIAT 85 wrote
Here is the later thermostatic vacuum bowl vent valve.  This is what came on my [carbureted] 1985 F150 with a 5.0/302 engine.  It works the same as the electric solenoid you have except closes with manifold vacuum.  If you have two bowls, you will need two of these.  I am not exactly sure why, but I have always heard you do not want to tee the fuel bowls together.
Fantastic! ... thx for locating this!

Found the description in the book and I don't see any reason I couldn't use these... unless I run into a testy Smog tester...

... and I'll use one for each bowl... thx for the feedback on that as well.

You say these were on your '85 truck... hard not to wonder why these weren't used on later vehicles as well... seems much less cumbersome than the separate component setup I have.

thx again!

'86 F350 7.5L XL 4 speed manual 4WD... and it's blue
Reply | Threaded
|

rbond
In reply to this post by Gary Lewis
Gary Lewis wrote
As for the using one of them in a T arrangement, I think the issue is the volume of vapor and, hence, the need for two charcoal canisters.  Would you then feed the output of the one valve into both canisters?  Other than the volume issue, I think it would work.  But, do you need to pass inspections, and would they catch that?

... I think you nailed the logic here, Gary... and you're right... I need to be savvy re the Smog process. I'll stick with the dual setup

As for finding the part, what you have in 9B982 is the core part number.  To that you have to add a prefix and a suffix.  Below is what the catalog shows for that part number, but it is VERY confusing.  So, look yours over closely to see if you can find one of the numbers shown on the right side, like D8TE 9B982-B1A, which is the ID or engineering number.  Those are frequently shown on the part - but that is not the part number. 

Also, the CX-239 number is the Motorcraft number, and that's likely the number you need to order one.
Part numbers... confusing doesn't begin to describe...  
I only used the "basic" number as a reference point to the pics I used... but I admit, I've not been able to find the section in the part cat. where these purge system parts reside... what section of the catalog did you find your pic in?

I do indeed have the D8TE 9B982 B2A solenoid valves... of the 2 on my truck, one has a dead solenoid... the other has a cracked hose nipple... but I DID find a NOS awhile back on ebay... so I scooped that up... so I have one functioning valve at this point (hence my question re. T'ing the 2 bowls together )

The real stumbling block is locating the Thermostatic Valve(s) D8TE 9E589 B1A (neither of the ones I have seem to function correctly  ... though I may spend a bit more time figuring out why) ... these appear to be NLA.
So... it seems a good solution would be to abort the separate component route and find a pair of the 9G332 (I know, not the complete part no. ) valves that Lariat 85 pointed out.

What's the set up in Big Blue?
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
You'll find that info in the Text part of the catalog, Section 96, Page 71.  But I cheat - my catalog has been run through an optical character recognition program so I can search for things - like 9B982.  A few seconds and it finds it.  

As for the D8TE 9E589 B1A, even looking it up under Motorcraft CX233 shows everyone is sold out.  

What does Big Blue have?  An Edelbrock carb that isn't connected to any charcoal canister, vent valves, or even EGR.  
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

rbond
Gary Lewis wrote
You'll find that info in the Text part of the catalog, Section 96, Page 71.  But I cheat - my catalog has been run through an optical character recognition program so I can search for things - like 9B982.  A few seconds and it finds it.  

... got it! thx... yeah... OCR was a very good use of your time

As for the D8TE 9E589 B1A, even looking it up under Motorcraft CX233 shows everyone is sold out.  

... exactly

What does Big Blue have?  An Edelbrock carb that isn't connected to any charcoal canister, vent valves, or even EGR.

... you are a lucky man!
thx, Gary... for all your time and effort with everyone!
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
You are welcome.    We have a really good community here and it is a pleasure to work with y'all.  
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI