Update

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
9 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Update

AmericanSavage
I have been absent for a while.  I took some time off to recoup.  The oil gauge line stopped that leak at the back of the motor, but I still have leaks, small, at the beck of BOTH valve covers, so I will be taking those off, and putting on new gaskets, while cleaning up the covers.  I hope they are not warped.

The reason for my absence recently was my mother in law passed (memory eternal) over thanksgiving.  Betweem that, the funeral, and settling her estate in Chicago, we have been quite busy and on the road a lot.

And now for something that will surely make Gary happy  :  In the midst of all this, we started looking for unrestricted property for our last home, and to build my shop.  We found that and closed on it a week or so ago.

Gary will be happy to learn, that property is located in Florida!  I promise not to do shoddy work, however.

So we have been lining up surveys, and floor plans, and making inquiries into contractors, as well as my drawing plans for the shop.

I am not sure what I have conveyed and what I have not.  I bought at the end of fall, a spare 351m.  It has been sitting in our small garage since.  I have not busted it opwn.  But it does spin rather easily—so it is not siezed.  Price was fabulous—$200.

I have a few other matters to get to on the truck, and I will post that in my thread.  

At any rate, I hope all is well. Cheers!  Happy New Year.
1980 Ford XLT F350
400 Engine (rebuilt to 406)
Holley 2300 500 CFM manual Choke Carb
Under Restore (1st time)
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Update

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Welcome back!  (I'd say "Kotter" but the youngsters on here don't know about Gabe.)

Sorry for your loss.  Been there so I know how much pain and sorry that is.

As for the idea of building in Florida, while I don't think you are  I'm afraid you'll run into a whole lot of them while building.  Good luck!  

On the 351M, I saw recently where Tim Meyer now has nice pistons for them.  So you can get decent compression out of them.  However, I'd still consider slipping a 400 crank in your block.  The only difference is the pistons, and that 1/2" of extra stroke helps a bunch with torque.
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

AmericanSavage
Thanks Gary.  Very kind of you.  I hope all is well.  I am excited for the changes to the site.  
1980 Ford XLT F350
400 Engine (rebuilt to 406)
Holley 2300 500 CFM manual Choke Carb
Under Restore (1st time)
Reply | Threaded
|

BigBrother-84
In reply to this post by AmericanSavage
Sorry about you mother in law Erik, I offer you my sincere condolences.

Happy you’re coming back!

I think there are couple of members living in or near FL.

There’s a lot of Quebecers too, our famous SnowBirds.  If I was one of them, I would certainly go South with Big Bro to continue work on it during winter time.

But I’m more a Polar Bear than a pelican, heat is a real pain for
me.

Good luck with your project!

Jeff / 1984 F350 Crew Cab 4x4/5.8L w351 4V/ T18/ D50 4.10 front/ 8' bed.
Restored 2019-2022.
Nicknamed «Big Brother 1984», due to its soooo-looong shape & nod to George Orwell's 1984 famous novel.
Reply | Threaded
|

grumpin
My condolences for your loss.
Dane
1986 F250HD SC XLT Lariat 4x4 460 C6-Sold
1992 Bronco XLT 4x4 351W E4OD
1998 GMC Sierra SLE K1500 350 4L60E
Arizona
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
Condolences to you and your wife! 😞

Happy to hear about your future together!

I recall that Shaun (Salans7) lives in the central part of the state, near Orlando.
I know that he used to work at The Villages running the hospital stock rooms.

Certainly have a look at the map and update your location, if you're included.

Congratulations on your forever home.  
 Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Too much other stuff to mention.
Reply | Threaded
|

Ifitaintbroke
In reply to this post by Gary Lewis
Ah come on now Gary,  isn't THAT bad.
Bradley
86 f250 supercab longbed, 4x4, 460 bored to 472 cubes, ported heads, ARP rod bolts, EFI pistons, 5.08/5.41 lift 114° lobe separation flat tappet cam, notched lifters, Smith Brothers pushrods, stock rockers, Eddy Performer intake, Holley 1850 or 3310 depending on mood, custom curved points dizzy, MSD analog 6al triggered by Pertronix module, zf5 swap, 3g alternator, custom instrument cluster, dual tanks with 38 Gal rear for 57 Gal of fuel capacity, far too much more to mention.

98 Ranger standard cab, rwd, 5-speed, 2.5L, glass pack muffler, dual plugs wired to fire at the same time, coming up on 300,000 miles before too long.

Averaging 26-27 mpg.

South Georgia.
Reply | Threaded
|

Ifitaintbroke
Florida can be a nice place. Good junkyards up near Jacksonville. There's a place called Rusty Acres. They only deal in Ford parts.
Bradley
86 f250 supercab longbed, 4x4, 460 bored to 472 cubes, ported heads, ARP rod bolts, EFI pistons, 5.08/5.41 lift 114° lobe separation flat tappet cam, notched lifters, Smith Brothers pushrods, stock rockers, Eddy Performer intake, Holley 1850 or 3310 depending on mood, custom curved points dizzy, MSD analog 6al triggered by Pertronix module, zf5 swap, 3g alternator, custom instrument cluster, dual tanks with 38 Gal rear for 57 Gal of fuel capacity, far too much more to mention.

98 Ranger standard cab, rwd, 5-speed, 2.5L, glass pack muffler, dual plugs wired to fire at the same time, coming up on 300,000 miles before too long.

Averaging 26-27 mpg.

South Georgia.
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
In reply to this post by Ifitaintbroke
Our son lives there and I've done quite a bit of work on his house.  Whomever wired it originally had no clue.  Then there's all the destruction that was done to Big Blue when he lived there.  Good luck!
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI