14 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Unusual locking hood release with a BLACK handle

Ford F834
Administrator
https://www.ebay.com/itm/132173636428 

Based on the E5 prefix on the part number I am speculating this was the 85/86 locking hood release that matched the black dash knobs.
SHORT BED 4-DOOR DIESEL: 1986 F350 4x4 under construction-- 7.3 IDIT ZF5+GVOD

STRAIGHT SIX 4X4: 1981 F150 2wd to 4x4-- 300 I6 close ratio diesel T19, hydroboost brakes, Saginaw steering

BIG F: 1995 F-Superduty under construction— converting to 6.9L IDI diesel ZF5+DNE2
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Unusual locking hood release with a BLACK handle

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Jonathan - I think you may be onto something.  The catalog shows the following, but as you point out the E5 indicates it was engineered in 1985, and that can't be right for a 1980-84 truck.  So my guess is that they introduced the black one in '85 when the black headlight & wiper knobs came out, and the catalog may have had entries for both chrome and black locking handles at one point.  But, by the time 1994 rolled around the supply of chrome ones was gone and they took those out of the catalog.

Maybe Bill's earlier version(s) of the catalog will prove that theory.  I sure hope he and Chris bring both the microfiche but also a viewer, as Bill has said they will.  Then we can take a look at it during the get-together.

Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

ctubutis
I am also thinking the black handle matches the black knobs used in later years
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Might this be something to research via the microfiche?  The '94 Final Version doesn't have the earlier release, but maybe the earlier version will have it?  

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

ctubutis
If you have the time for such trivia, sure, go for it. ;)
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
One major difference between the Garagemahal and other sites is the documentation. Here we have pretty solid facts based on official publications including the master parts catalogs, service manuals, brochures, and hopefully TSB’s, hint, hint. So why not continue to set ourselves apart with details dredged from an earlier version of the parts catalog?  😉

I’ve come to realize that I do need to provide the source of the info I put on the website so we can get back to it when someone questions it. I really do want our “facts” to be just that. However, Ford wasn’t consistent with their “facts”, so we may need to document what differences we find.

Reply | Threaded
|

Ford F834
Administrator
Gary Lewis wrote
One major difference between the Garagemahal and other sites is the documentation. Here we have pretty solid facts based on official publications including the master parts catalogs, service manuals, brochures, and hopefully TSB’s, hint, hint. So why not continue to set ourselves apart with details dredged from an earlier version of the parts catalog?  😉
Well said Gary! Trivia, trivial, trivialize etc., is such a condescending term for details... I'd like to think of it more like history buff or math whiz similar skill. Not for everyone but not valueless either. A period correct restoration is all about the details 🙂

STRAIGHT SIX 4X4: 1981 F150 2wd to 4x4-- 300 I6 close ratio diesel T19, hydroboost brakes, Saginaw steering

BIG F: 1995 F-Superduty under construction— converting to 6.9L IDI diesel ZF5+DNE2
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
The earliest catalog that Bill has loaned me on microfiche is the 1989 version, and there's only one entry for the locking hood release, which is the E5 version that is black.  Apparently the earlier chrome version had been discontinued by then, so we don't know the part number for it.  But, the prefix was surely E0TZ and the main number was 16914.  We just don't know what the suffix was.  Perhaps someone will find one a NOS one w/a part #?

Anyway, I added the following to the Bullnose FAQ's on the Yearly Differences tab:

The locking hood release handle was changed to a black one, probably to match the new black headlight and wiper knobs.  (Source: The MPC shows the prefix on the part number to be E5.)

Reply | Threaded
|

Ford F834
Administrator
This post was updated on .
Gary, I don't know if it would have a separate part number or not, but here is an eBay auction for a locking hood release for 73-79 truck or 78/79 Bronco. The only difference I see is it uses a square head key?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/172861103951 

Edit: too bad he cut the cable 😡 Otherwise it might have been good for someone trying to re pin for a single square head key.

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Well, having held my chrome-handled release just a couple of hours ago looking for a number on it, I can say that looks a lot like it. But I’ll go back up to the attic and compare it to the pic.

And, I’ve already looked up in the 1973-79 catalog the part number for it, so can get back to it if they are the same. But, what confused me was the lack of a non-locking release in the catalog for the earlier trucks. And then Scott asked for some help on his ‘78.  He was in the cab and I asked him to pop the hood. He looked at me kinda strange and got out and opened the hood. The earlier trucks didn’t have a release in the cab unless the had a lock!  😳

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
This post was updated on .
In reply to this post by Ford F834
Assuming the eBay listing is fairly accurate about the source of the hood release being advertised, then I think we have a number for the locking hood release for the 1980 - 84 trucks: D5DZ 16914-A.  I say that because the pictures, below, of the one Kyle/First Today got for me some time ago are identical to the one in the eBay listing.

Here's a pic comparing it to the non-locking release and you can see that they'll bolt up to the same holes.  Further, they have the same grommet to go through the firewall, and the fittings on the end are exactly the same, so they will interchange.

And, here are two pics taken from much the same angles as those Jonathan posted of the eBay release, albeit w/o the fancy fingernails:

Last, here's the 1973-79 catalog entry:

Reply | Threaded
|

Ford F834
Administrator
I would think that accepting a different key would constitute a different part number, but not necessarily. The square key version also looks like it has two more holes on the stem that are not open on the round key version:

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
I'm missing the extra holes.  Can you 'splain that again?

And, I agree that the key difference should mean a part number difference.  Doesn't the square key have the offset the opposite way than the round key?

Reply | Threaded
|

Ford F834
Administrator
The round and square keys do had different offset. Never mind about the holes, I thought they were open on the square key version but upon closer inspection they are not. Both locks are the same, it looks like rivets holding it together: