classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
12 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Underhood Light Maintenance

Gary Lewis
Administrator
I started this thread so we can consolidate whatever we do to maintain the underhood lights on our trucks into one place.  And I'll lead off.

The light on Big Blue doesn't get used at all because I have plenty of flashlights and headlights in the truck to use instead.  But I still want it to work.  So today I pulled it out to check on it and I couldn't get the wire to go back into the reel.  

I took it off and tried to spray Teflon lube in there but didn't find a good place to insert the red straw.  So I measured the straw and found that a 3/32" drill bit would allow it to go in easily.  Given that, and knowing a bit about what's inside since I have one in pieces, I drilled a hole as shown below, and lubed the goodie out of it with the wire pulled all of the way out.  Then while the lube was still "wet" I worked it to get the wire to go back in until it stopped.  Then I pulled it out again and let it go back in.  After several of these rounds it started going back in all the way on its own accord.  

Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Underhood Light Maintenance

Ifitaintbroke
I was having the exact same problem with mine. However, it is in other hands now, and I have replaced with an led(much as I hate leds). Every time I showed it to someone they'd say: "Wow, I thought only Chevys had those! I've never seen one on a Ford." And truly, the Bullnose trucks are the only Fords I've ever seen them in. Are they unique to our trucks?
Bradley
86 f250 supercab longbed, 4x4, 460 bored to 472 cubes, ported heads, ARP rod bolts, EFI pistons, 5.08/5.41 lift 114° lobe separation flat tappet cam, notched lifters, Smith Brothers pushrods, stock rockers, Eddy Performer intake, Holley 1850 or 3310 depending on mood, custom curved points dizzy, MSD analog 6al triggered by Pertronix module, zf5 swap, 3g alternator, custom instrument cluster, dual tanks with 38 Gal rear for 57 Gal of fuel capacity, far too much more to mention.

98 Ranger standard cab, rwd, 5-speed, 2.5L, glass pack muffler, dual plugs wired to fire at the same time, coming up on 300,000 miles before too long.

Averaging 26-27 mpg.

South Georgia.
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
The part we have carries an E0TZ prefix, so it came out in 1980.  But the 1973-79 master parts catalog shows that one LAMP ASSY. (ENGINE COMPARTMENT) came out in '73, another in '75, and yet another one in '78.  So there were earlier versions, although I don't know what the differences were.

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

Ifitaintbroke
Huh.
Bradley
86 f250 supercab longbed, 4x4, 460 bored to 472 cubes, ported heads, ARP rod bolts, EFI pistons, 5.08/5.41 lift 114° lobe separation flat tappet cam, notched lifters, Smith Brothers pushrods, stock rockers, Eddy Performer intake, Holley 1850 or 3310 depending on mood, custom curved points dizzy, MSD analog 6al triggered by Pertronix module, zf5 swap, 3g alternator, custom instrument cluster, dual tanks with 38 Gal rear for 57 Gal of fuel capacity, far too much more to mention.

98 Ranger standard cab, rwd, 5-speed, 2.5L, glass pack muffler, dual plugs wired to fire at the same time, coming up on 300,000 miles before too long.

Averaging 26-27 mpg.

South Georgia.
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Ifitaintbroke wrote
Huh.

Reply | Threaded
|

BigBrother-84
Gary Lewis wrote
Ifitaintbroke wrote
Huh.
LOL!
Gentlemen, since I use this forum in parallel with English dictionary , I’ll share with you what I found:

In this case (an answer that gives unsuspected information), interjection «huh» is used to express contempt, surprise, etc.

In some other context (which is obviously not the case here), «huh» can also mean “whatever”, which is a kind of dismissal — the person doesn't care what you think…

My brother in law, who is born in Western Canada and lives there with my sister and their kids, has a formula that combines the two.
So you never know what he really thinks.  It kills me.
«Oh, interesting

Jeff / 1984 F350 Crew Cab 4x4/5.8L w351 4V/ T18/ D50 4.10 front/ 8' bed.
Restored 2019-2022.
Nicknamed «Big Brother 1984», due to its soooo-looong shape & nod to George Orwell's 1984 famous novel.
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
I like that - Oh, interesting.  I'll go with that.  

Reply | Threaded
|

Ifitaintbroke
In reply to this post by BigBrother-84
Was trying to express mild surprise. An excellent example of the difficulties of communication without being able to see someone's face or hear their tone of voice.
Bradley

Averaging 26-27 mpg.

South Georgia.
Reply | Threaded
|

Ifitaintbroke
Also an excellent example of how a thread can be completely sidetracked without a single reply being in direct answer to the original post's subject matter!
Bradley

Averaging 26-27 mpg.

South Georgia.
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Ifitaintbroke wrote
Also an excellent example of how a thread can be completely sidetracked without a single reply being in direct answer to the original post's subject matter!
Welcome to the Bullnose forum where we chase rabbits all the time.  Or most of the time?  

Reply | Threaded
|

Ifitaintbroke
Well, it at least keeps everything fun. I've been on othe forums where everything is pretty up tight about it being "on topic", and they can kind of be a drag. I love it here.
Bradley

Averaging 26-27 mpg.

South Georgia.
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
I think it is fair to say we aren't up tight.  Instead we want to have fun but still provide support.