classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
3 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Under dash light locations

FrazerJames
Happy New Year all!

I’m doing a ton of rewiring on the inside of the Bronco including adding an aux fuse box for new lighting and power outlets coming off an aux battery. Thanks to Gary and all the other folks for such detailed posts on how to do that stuff.

Two questions -

1. Is there an OEM placement of under dash lights? I know some bullnose came with them, but I can’t place a good spot for them to go (I bought some new from Dennis Carpenter)

2. I’m pretty confident I’m going to be mounting my aux fuse box high up on the driver side underdash kick panel. There’s a metal plate behind it that looks like an access panel for something in the fender. Any reason I shouldn’t run some sheet metal screws through that? I can’t imagine why I shouldn’t, but better safe than sorry.
1983 Bronco 4.9 300 I6
Current Name: Whitney
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Under dash light locations

Gary Lewis
Administrator
The courtesy lights attach to the bottom edge of the dash via one screw each.  The left one attaches near the emergency brake handle, and the one on the right is a couple of inches left of the kick panel.

And that panel closes off the inner fender area.  Trucks with A/C had the panel, and those w/o don't and have a kick panel with vents for fresh air.

So yes, you can put screws through it.  But the outside end of the screws will be exposed to the elements and will probably rust if not plated.
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Under dash light locations

FrazerJames
That’s great info! Thanks Gary!
1983 Bronco 4.9 300 I6
Current Name: Whitney