Transmission Fluid Leak?

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
20 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Transmission Fluid Leak?

Bullnose Gator
The link to the manual trans documents isn't working for me.  Judging by the location, feel and smell of the leak pictured below, I think it's transmission fluid.  Where can I learn more about my transmission and how to fix the leak?

Jeremy - Oviedo, FL
1986 F250 XLT Lariat Supercab 4x4 Manual 460
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Transmission Fluid Leak?

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Which manual transmission section are you trying to get to?

I seem to be able to get to them, but maybe I'm not looking at the right one?  I get there this way:

Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
If I follow that path and then get to the manual transmission page, under 'Fords Application Chart" I'm seeing what looks like 3-4 photographs from a home style magazine or catalog before I get to the chart.  ??????
 Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Too much other stuff to mention.
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
By golly, you were right!  I think I've fixed it though.  But I have no idea where those pics came from.  I've never seen them before.

Anyway, they should be gone.  Thanks, Jim!

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

Bullnose Gator
In reply to this post by Gary Lewis
I can't get the General Manual Transmission Service page to load.  Looks like that is the one that has the basic info I need to start understanding what I'm working with, but please correct me if I'm wrong.
Jeremy - Oviedo, FL
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Well, you are right.  That page won't load.  And I can't find that document so I'll have to scan it in again.  

But I may not get it done tomorrow, so do you know what transmission you have?  Can you use the specific section for that transmission?

Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
In reply to this post by Bullnose Gator
You have a Borg Warner T-19 with 'C' ratios rather than the diesel close spaced 'A' ratios.
 Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Reply | Threaded
|

Bullnose Gator
What Jim said? Lol I really have no idea. I was hoping to look it up in that section and compare pictures to see what looks like mine. I'll go check out the Warner T-19 section and see if that gets me there. Thank you both!
Jeremy - Oviedo, FL
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
It seems an '86 460(7.5) 4x4 could be engineering number -AFA or -HA
Parts list 4H or 4K respectively.

But both are pointing to illustration section 70.4 pg.10.
They are tough and simple top loaders with PTO windows on both sides of the case.

What are you looking for? Just the input seal?
 Jim,
Reply | Threaded
|

Bullnose Gator
I'm just trying to understand what is leaking so I can figure out how to fix it and, in the mean time, also learn how to check/fill the oil/fluid until I can fix the leak. There's a visible drip on the ground after driving.
Jeremy - Oviedo, FL
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
And you're sure it's smelly 90 weight gear oil, not engine oil?

There is a fill plug on the T-19.
If you're going to drain it you may as well remove one of the side plates so you can clean off the magnet in the bottom.

I can try to find an exploded diagram for you.
It's been a!most a decade since I swapped my T-19 for the Zf-5...
 Jim,
Reply | Threaded
|

Bullnose Gator
No, im really not sure of anything lol. All I know for sure is that something under there is leaking where there appears to be a seal. It doesn't feel as oily as engine oil to me, nor does it smell much at all.

It had a massive oil cooler leak when I got it, and looked like it had for a long time based on how much oil had gotten blown all over everything under there (I replaced the oil cooler). I sprayed everything down with degreaser and sprayed it off with the water hose, but this drip still seems fresh and active, not just old oil heating up and dripping off.
Jeremy - Oviedo, FL
Reply | Threaded
|

Bullnose Gator
Ok, after digging through the docs and following some bread crumbs, I believe the leak is actually on the clutch housing, not the transmission.  The 2nd and 3rd pics above show the best view of it, while the first pic is zoomed in on the seal that appears to be leaking.  

However, after reading up on the clutch and its housing, there doesn't appear to be any fluid, just greased parts when it is installed.  I guess I need to take a closer look and see if that is just the drip point for a leak that is originating somewhere else.  Any thoughts?
Jeremy - Oviedo, FL
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
On a 460 the oil pressure sender is above the bell housing at the back of the engine block, tucked into the rear curve of the intake manifold.
You might try an inspection mirror to look back there where it threads into the block.

That's the only other thing I can think would leak back there.
Or just some weeping from the oil pan being blown back to the spacer plate.

Jim,
Reply | Threaded
|

Bullnose Gator
Got it.  I'm going to give it another de-greaser session with some elbow grease this time so that I can get as clean a look as possible.  

Like I mentioned, it looked like the oil cooler had been leaking and blowing oil all over everything for years.  So bad that there's an outside chance that the "leak" is old oil working its way out the more I drive it.  Not that I expect to have that good fortune, but there's always a chance, right? ;)   Thanks, again.    
Jeremy - Oviedo, FL
Reply | Threaded
|

Bullnose Gator
In reply to this post by ArdWrknTrk
ArdWrknTrk wrote
And you're sure it's smelly 90 weight gear oil, not engine oil?

There is a fill plug on the T-19.
If you're going to drain it you may as well remove one of the side plates so you can clean off the magnet in the bottom.

I can try to find an exploded diagram for you.
It's been a!most a decade since I swapped my T-19 for the Zf-5...
@ArdWrknTrk so i took your advice and removed a side plate.  Any idea what the torque specs are on those bolts?
Jeremy - Oviedo, FL
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
I'm not Jim, but you should be able to find the torque spec's in the T-19 section of the factory shop manual here: Documentation/Driveline/Transmissions/Manual Transmissions/WARNER T-18 & T-19 TRANSMISSIONS.  It is usually shown on the last page of each section.

Reply | Threaded
|

Bullnose Gator
Ah, now I see it.  Thanks for bearing with me.  The T-19 diagrams there don't specifically label it, but based on Jim calling it a "PTO cover" above I assume it's the torque specs for the Power Take Off Cover.

I already tightened it snugly, but once I check it with a torque wrench if I over tightened it should I loosen it and re-torque it now or wait for the gasket maker to cure first?
Jeremy - Oviedo, FL
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
I'd leave it alone.  It isn't under stress so won't strip out or come loose.  And if you loosen it the gasket maker might not seal.

Reply | Threaded
|

Bullnose Gator
Ok, will do.  Thanks!
Jeremy - Oviedo, FL