Transmission Crossmember Info Missing From MPC?

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
34 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Transmission Crossmember Info Missing From MPC?

salans7
So in short, I just spent two hours looking for base number (5060) under section 50 of the MPC, with no luck. There is no 5060 in the frames section, and I can't find it anywhere under the transmission sections either. Apparently my version of the MPC isn't searchable, so can anybody with the MPC confirm whether I'm missing pages or if it's just not there or in a different section?

5060 is the base number for the transmission crossmember according to my 1980 shop manual. Maybe that number is wrong?
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Transmission Crossmember Info Missing From MPC?

Gary Lewis
Administrator
I think 5028 is the base part number for the tranny crossmember, as shown below from our page at Documentation/Suspension & Steering/Crossmembers.  And, you can find the full part numbers there as well.

The # 5060 only appears in the MPC as a GVW for the A-Series vans.

Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

85lebaront2
Administrator
Gary, 5028 looks like the support for the center bearing on the longer wheelbase trucks. 5025 is forward of that and is probably the rear cab and mid mount fuel tank support. Note that all the crossmembers pictured behind the front suspension/engine support until the rear crossmember are top mounted only.

Might the transmission crossmember be included in the transmission/transfer case area of the MPC as they are somewhat transmission/transfer case/engine specific? I know, and you should also that the E4OD and C6 crossmember and gussets are way different and the head pipes on the 460/E4OD actually have a slight kickup at the crossmember seen here:
Bill AKA "LOBO" Profile

"Getting old is inevitable, growing up is optional" Darth Vader 1986 F350 460 converted to MAF/SEFI, E4OD 12X3 1/2 rear brakes, traction loc 3:55 gear, 160 amp 3G alternator Wife's 2011 Flex Limited Daily Driver 2009 Flex Limited with factory tow package Project car 1986 Chrysler LeBaron convertible 2.2L Turbo II, modified A413

Reply | Threaded
|

salans7
I agree Bill, 5028 is incorrect.

I dug through the transmission section since the gussets start with a 7, however I couldn't find the gussets listed either, and I went through all of the numbers in numerical and alphabetical order. I'm stumped.

There are alot of options and differences for the crossmembers and I'm trying to make sure there aren't any other available options for a 460/T19/4x4 besides the 83-87 variant.
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
You guys are surely right. And, Shaun, if you get it figured out maybe we can significantly upgrade that page so others don’t have to dig through it like you are.

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

myrl883
Transmission crossmember is 6A023, gussets are 6096...
Ford Parts Monkey since 1985
1981 F100 Flareside - Black, 302-4V Roller/AOD
1986 F150 Flareside - Medium Fire Red 302/AOD
1989 F150 Standard Cab 4x4 - Dk Shadow Blue 302/AOD
1993 F350 4x4 Crew Cab - 7.3 IDI/ZF-5
I think it's a sickness...
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Ok guys, I've added some info to the page at Documentation/Suspension & Steering/Crossmembers.  I added a tab for Transmission Crossmembers.  Go look, please, and let me know if it'll work.

You'll see that I only have the part numbers for diesels and 460's to this point, but have illustrations for everything but 1983-84 460 4wd's, which I haven't yet found.  (EDIT: It was in there and I missed it.)  Anyway, I wanted to see if this approach will work and then I can finish it.

And, I think there needs to be cleanup/rationalization elsewhere.  This area is confusing.

Reply | Threaded
|

salans7
Thank you guys! Guess the number shown in the shop manuals is wrong and that's why I could never find it.

The section looks good Gary, and I was able to find what I needed. Unfortunately I found more questions too, like why there are three different part numbers between 85-86 F250, F350 CC, and F350 non-CC, when it comes to the 460, and diesels have a different part number on their own.

What worries me is that I'm running a 1356, which may dictate my crossmember choice more-so than my truck. But Gary is running his factory F250 crossmember with a 1345 and a double cardan shaft to a D60 and it seems to work fine.
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
All - I got the transmission crossmember section done, I think.  And before you ask, I cannot find gusset part numbers for the little 230, in spite of them showing in the illustrations.  The MPC shows them for the B and R-series trucks with the 230, but not the F-Series.  

Shaun - It really is bizarre!  Confusing!  Hard to believe, actually, that they'd have that many different #'s.

At some point it would be good to cross-ref the numbers and see which vehicles got what parts.

And yes, mine seems to work fine - now that I got the u-joint in correctly.

Reply | Threaded
|

85lebaront2
Administrator
In reply to this post by salans7
Ok, this gets weird, Darth is a 1986 F350 crew cab long bed with dual rear wheels. That makes him 168" wheelbase which jives with everything I've seen.

83/ F350 - - 168" WB list number 14

I go to list 14 and I see:
F 4.9L, 5.0L, 5.8L eng. - - coil spgs.               E8TZ-5C139-A
F 4/W/D - - dsl. & 7.5L eng. -- leaf spgs.        E8TZ-5C139-B
F 4/W/D - - exc. dsl. & 7.5L eng. -- leaf spgs. E8TZ-5C139-E
F 2/W/D - - dsl. & 7.5L eng. -- leaf spgs.        E8TZ-5C139-D

This all well and good, BUT Darth is a 2 WD as according to his owners manual 4WD wasn't available on the DRW trucks in 1986. Here are the front springs when I had them out to install the front sway bar.

Strangest looking leaf spring I've ever seen.
Bill AKA "LOBO" Profile

"Getting old is inevitable, growing up is optional" Darth Vader 1986 F350 460 converted to MAF/SEFI, E4OD 12X3 1/2 rear brakes, traction loc 3:55 gear, 160 amp 3G alternator Wife's 2011 Flex Limited Daily Driver 2009 Flex Limited with factory tow package Project car 1986 Chrysler LeBaron convertible 2.2L Turbo II, modified A413

Reply | Threaded
|

salans7
I saw that yesterday and had to do a double take because it's completely incorrect.

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
I thought about suggesting that we take that bit out.  But it is better than nothing.  So maybe we need to make notes in my MPC and then update the web page.

Seem reasonable?  

Reply | Threaded
|

myrl883
C/C crossmember is different because the frames are narrower than a pickup.
Ford Parts Monkey since 1985
1981 F100 Flareside - Black, 302-4V Roller/AOD
1986 F150 Flareside - Medium Fire Red 302/AOD
1989 F150 Standard Cab 4x4 - Dk Shadow Blue 302/AOD
1993 F350 4x4 Crew Cab - 7.3 IDI/ZF-5
I think it's a sickness...
Reply | Threaded
|

Dan Crowley
In reply to this post by Gary Lewis
Hi Gary,  First, my truck is a 1984 F-250 HD Diesel 4X4 which had a 4 speed trans.  I bought it new so no one has messed with it but me. I have been doing a frame up restoration on it for many years do to lack of money and a lot of health issues.  I am going to put a ZF-5 in as soon as I finish rebuilding it.  My original cross member will work fine, also there are no part #'s on it at all which seams odd.  What I need are the gussets that you used that will bolt to the upper holes and move the cross member back one inch.  Can you tell me what year trucks had those or the part #'s so that I might be able to find some.  Thank you.  Dan  
Dan Crowley
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Dan - I used the original gussets from Big Blue in the original holes, but moved the crossmember back ~1".  In this post you can see that they didn't fit perfectly when put in place, but when the bolts were torqued down they conformed nicely.

Does that answer the question?

Reply | Threaded
|

Dan Crowley
Hi Gary,  The link to (This post) just went to a list of your post.  Are you saying that the gussets on all the 1985 trucks are angled to the back about an inch?  Are there any other years that are the same?  Dan
Dan Crowley
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Dan - My guess is that the server is slow and that it was taking a long time to go to the post.  But if you click this link and and wait a bit you should be rewarded with a post where I showed the initial gap when I put the top of my gusset in the factory holes and the bottom into the holes on the crossmember that was moved back about an inch.  But, in case you don't get it I'll include the pic below.

So what I'm saying is that you can use your existing gussets even with the crossmember set back an inch.  They'll be angled and have a bit of a gap initially, but when you torque the bolts down they'll flex to fit.

Here's what one looked like before torquing:

And here's a view after torquing, although it isn't a closeup:

Reply | Threaded
|

Dan Crowley
Thanks Gary, I was under the impression that Ford made some gussets that angled back about an inch or so.  Dan
Dan Crowley
Reply | Threaded
|

85lebaront2
Administrator
In reply to this post by Gary Lewis
Gary, that's interesting, when I put the transmission crossmember for the E4OD in Darth it was 7" further back and everything bolted up perfectly once I drilled the holes. I did have the entire crossmember and gussets from an E4OD truck. Could the gussets be different to account for the frame height change as you move further back?
Bill AKA "LOBO" Profile

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
In reply to this post by Dan Crowley
Dan - I do think there are gussets that angle back, but I didn't have them and just used the original ones.

Bill - I used the E4OD crossmember and gussets I got off Huck, the 1990 half-truck, on Dad's truck, and it all fit fine once I drilled the holes in the right place.