1986F150Six
Administrator
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Transfer case shift lever [E2TZ-7210-B] - NOS

Gary Lewis
Administrator
I didn't realize there were several different shifters.  I've highlighted that one, but note that it is correct for Bullnose trucks built after 11/81.  

Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

salans7
You'd be surprised Gary.

There's two different versions of levers with threaded shift knobs. One comes closer to the driver, and one sits closer to the dash. I suspect that has to do with the transfer case (BW versus NP) but can't confirm. THEN, at some point Ford switched from the clip style arm attachment, to those pesky grommets. I'm not sure if that happened when they made the switch to splined knobs, or if it was during the threaded knob era. Then you have the splined knob levers, which follow along with the same BW vs. NP patterns. AND THEN you have the levers for those ultra rare SROD 4x4 trucks, which had the transfer case lever on the passenger side, meaning a different lever. And they may also have threaded and splined versions. There's at least six different versions of transfer case lever between 80-86, and the MPC is very misleading.
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Wow!  I had no idea.  

I've been swapping levers willy nilly with no thought of what fits where.  I guess I got lucky?

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

salans7
The only thing that may prevent the levers from mixing and matching is the way it attaches at the transfer case (pin versus grommet). Otherwise they'll interchange without issue (except for SROD versions). I think 82-86 are easier to mix and match than the earlier trucks, since 82-86 should all use grommets. 1987 was unique in that it was the last year for the transfer case lever to come through the inspection cover, but it had a unique shift lever that was one year only, and it was a two piece lever and cage design. The 1987 trucks have 2 thread bosses on the transmission extension housing for the cage which mounts using two bolts. Then in 1988 the lever assembly and cage changed again, and I think it changed at least once or twice more into the 90s. My knowledge gets fuzzy there.
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Good info.  Thanks, Shaun.