Transfer case shift knob

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
17 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Transfer case shift knob

brad1979
This past weekend I picked up a complete F150 4x4 chassis from what I think is an 83. It has a 302, T18 with mechanical clutch, NP208, and 8.8 rear with 3.55 gears. Seeing as I have a somewhat decent 80 2wd F100 auto with no engine that’s just sitting around, I figure I’ll make a cheap 4x4 by combining the 2. Well actually 3 as I also picked up a complete 80 F250 inline 6 T18 that will donate its engine and pedals etc to the swap. The only thing I think I’m missing is the knob for the transfer case shifter. It’s a splined on knob that I can’t even find a part number for. I thought all the trucks of our vintage had threaded knobs. Does anyone know where to find this knob or have a used one or maybe a complete shifter with a threaded knob? Thanks.
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Transfer case shift knob

Machspeed
Administrator
My 86 is splined. I was lucky not to destroy it when I removed it. Not sure where to get a replacement. I do know the rubber boot is not available.
John

"Blackie" - 1986 F150 4x4 - Mildly warmed over 351W HO - Original owner
Reply | Threaded
|

brad1979
The boot will be my next problem. I can cobble something together for that I think. I may end up having to make some sort of adapter or buy an aftermarket knob, but I’d rather have stock.
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
I think you can certainly cobble together one running truck from what you have .  

As for the t-case knob, I'm going to tag two people to this: David/1986F150Six, who has a gift for finding things, and Shaun/salans7, who will know about boots and knobs.
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

1986F150Six
Administrator
Reply | Threaded
|

brad1979
Thanks, 3/4 of those were already on my watch list. The seller of the first 2 doesn’t ship to Canada so it’s a bit of a bust. I have a few local leads I’m working on as well. Looks like I also need the trans tunnel cover unless I want to cut the 2wd one.
Reply | Threaded
|

1986F150Six
Administrator
brad1979 wrote
Thanks, 3/4 of those were already on my watch list. The seller of the first 2 doesn’t ship to Canada so it’s a bit of a bust. I have a few local leads I’m working on as well. Looks like I also need the trans tunnel cover unless I want to cut the 2wd one.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/80-86-1980-1986-Ford-Truck-F150-F250-F350-Bronco-4x4-manual-tunnel-Cover/274742121374?hash=item3ff7e8139e:g:TeYAAOSwO99gZe2H

https://www.ebay.com/itm/80-86-1980-1986-Ford-Truck-Bronco-Manual-4x4-transmission-tunnel-Cover/133141741002?hash=item1effddbdca:g:ln4AAOSwNj5dUusO
Reply | Threaded
|

salans7
For reference, threaded shift knobs lasted from 1980-early 1982. Trucks built after mid-1982 came with splined shift knobs. The levers are different because of this, as the early ones have the threaded end, and the newer ones have the splined end. The early ones also featured a pin retention for the arm that attaches to the t-case, while the later ones used captive grommets.

There are also two different t-case shift lever shapes for 1980-1986. One leans close to the dash, and the other angles back towards the driver. Truck/Bronco and cab size doesn't seem to make a difference, so I'm guessing maybe transfer case does although I can't confirm it because the Master Parts Catalog says they're all the same.

Reply | Threaded
|

brad1979
That is some good info. I found a trans tunnel cover and t-case shifter boot locally, hope the boot is decent enough to use, I’ll find out when I check them out next week. Now I think I’m just missing a splined knob or threaded shifter, until I start the swap and find all the other little things.
Reply | Threaded
|

salans7
I only found one new knob on Ebay, to the tune of $99 (ouch). The early Rangers may have had the same knob (they look identical), so maybe you can find one from one of those trucks. You need to be careful with a used knob though, the insides are plastic and may be brittle. If somebody really worked hard to remove the knob, it may be broken inside.
Reply | Threaded
|

brad1979
Finding a useable splined knob is what I am worried about. I wonder if an earlier (pre 80) truck would have the same shifter? I think it would be easier to get a knob for a threaded shifter.
Reply | Threaded
|

salans7
brad1979 wrote
Finding a useable splined knob is what I am worried about. I wonder if an earlier (pre 80) truck would have the same shifter? I think it would be easier to get a knob for a threaded shifter.
They're shaped differently and might hit the dash. Not 100% sure how they hook up at the t-case either.

If you could find yourself the lever for a 1980-early 1982 truck, I have an extra threaded transfer case knob sitting in my toolbox. Uhaul was selling one for $20 on Ebay, but it seems like they've sold it because I can't find it now.
Reply | Threaded
|

brad1979
That’s good to know. Thank you for the offer, I am going to keep looking for the threaded shifter.
Reply | Threaded
|

FuzzFace2
Dose the screw on knob have the same pattern?
If so how hard would it be to thread the stick to use the screw on knob?

I have been thinking of doing this for my shifter stick as mine is splined and was messed up by the PO pulling it off. It also has a drop in pattern that makes noise.
Thing that has stopped me is finding a good knob.
Dave ----
Dave G.
81 F100 flare side 300 six / AA OD / NP435 / 2.75 gear
http://cars.grantskingdom1.com/index.php/1980-Ford-F100?page=1
81 F100 style side 300 six/SROD parts truck -RIP
http://cars.grantskingdom1.com/index.php/1981-Ford-F100
Reply | Threaded
|

brad1979
I don’t know how you could thread it but I’m no machinist. I think it would have to be turned down first. What I have done on my super duty 6 speed is I had a machinist make a brass adapter. It was drilled out to be a friction fit on the splined shifter (hammered it on which cut the splines in the soft brass) and had a 3/8” threaded portion on top. It does make the shifter about an inch longer though. May go that route again here.
Reply | Threaded
|

salans7
So after reading the last couple of posts, I somehow was reminded that I have a junk 1987 transfer case lever that came with my BW1356. I then realized that it would have the knob you need, and after checking, yep it's still there. Best part is it was loose, so here it is below. It's not perfect as it was in an old fire department brush truck that was heavily used, but it's better than nothing. It will need to be re-glued, but otherwise should be good to go. Let me know if you can use it as I never will.

Reply | Threaded
|

brad1979
That is a great offer, I really appreciate it. I am going to search locally a bit more as shipping from Florida to Alberta is a bit crazy. If I can’t come up with anything I will probably take you up on it. Thanks