Traction Lock rebuild

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
12 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Traction Lock rebuild

Westerj
Hi everybody, Am rebuilding a 9" diff with TractionLock. New 3.50 gears and bearings all around!   My question is about the friction materials in the clutch.  Stock setup has 4 springs in the block inside the ring gear.  Had read that one can also shim the clutches pretty tight and use the side load on the spider gears for the clutch squeeze.  This method also reduces the constant preload on the clutch pack.   Are there any downsides to skipping the springs and packing the clutch stack? Street car - 68 Mustang 5 speed, 390.  Guess if I skip the preload, I wont get much initial locking...will need the spider gear side load to make the pressure that binds Right and left?  TIA
1986 f350 Ambulance convert
2WD
project phase
460 v8
Low miles
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Traction Lock rebuild

Westerj
Heya buds,  Still got the ambulance. still lots to do on that. just figured there were some 9" diff folks around!! Is rust on quarter window (passenger) door a common malady on bullnosers?   Has anyone used a pressure washer sandblaster attachment? Have to blast the Ambulance  inside.Tip on phosphoric acid that i learned here has been awesome.. Been using that to etch/paint parts. cleans buckets of nuts and bolts, but does strip ANY plating toot sweet.
2WD
project phase
460 v8
Low miles
Reply | Threaded
|

grumpin
Hi, I don’t no anything about building axles, someone should come along with knowledge and experience.

Good that your getting your old ambulance cleaned up!
Dane
1986 F250HD SC XLT Lariat 4x4 460 C6-Sold
1992 Bronco XLT 4x4 351W E4OD
1998 GMC Sierra SLE K1500 350 4L60E
Arizona
Reply | Threaded
|

Westerj
What are common wheelbases ( not track) for 1986 F350?  The whole  vehicle is > 20 feet long... I cant fit it in my garage, to which my mind thinks.... "gonna need a bigger garage!". Brought up the notion of "garage of my dreams" to wifey.. Looking to the folks from Lancaster, Pa for their garage building skills!  
2WD
project phase
460 v8
Low miles
Reply | Threaded
|

FuzzFace2
If I read your post right you are taking the pre-load out and making it a little tighter right?
If so I see it acting more like a locker / spool than a LS (i know gm word).
It should still have a "break away" point but it will be at a higher point is all.

Had a buddy do the same on a Dana unit in a Jeep but it was used for off road racing only, never on the street so cant say how it would behave.
Dave ----
Dave G.
81 F100 flare side 300 six / AA OD / NP435 / 2.75 gear
http://cars.grantskingdom1.com/index.php/1980-Ford-F100?page=1
81 F100 style side 300 six/SROD parts truck -RIP
http://cars.grantskingdom1.com/index.php/1981-Ford-F100
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
In reply to this post by Westerj
Westerj wrote
What are common wheelbases ( not track) for 1986 F350?  The whole  vehicle is > 20 feet long... I cant fit it in my garage, to which my mind thinks.... "gonna need a bigger garage!". Brought up the notion of "garage of my dreams" to wifey.. Looking to the folks from Lancaster, Pa for their garage building skills!
The crewcab pickup has a wheelbase of 168.4".  The regular chassis cab had a 133", 136.8", and 160.8" wheelbase options.  And the Supercab had a 155" wheelbase.

So, you are having the Amish build your garage?  (I realize that there are lots of "English", using the Amish term for non-Amish people, living in Lancaster.)  I hear they do excellent work.
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

Westerj
Can't imagine we will find house of her dreams and garage of mine,  so we  looking at houses with space for my garage.... more likely the solution. Amish folks do seem to have it down.  Custom garage for reasonable. Money sounds like a plan!!  Machine shop, table saw. A two post lift.... I want it all!!
2WD
project phase
460 v8
Low miles
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
That's what we found, you might find a nice house but if it had a shop it wasn't what I wanted.  So we found a nice house with room for a shop and built what I wanted.

If you really want a lift I'd suggest you have a minimum of a 12' ceiling.  Might is slightly less, like 11' 11", and it has been a minor problem.  The lift works but it is on the lower of the two settings and has put marks on the ceiling in a couple of places.
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

Westerj
Thanks Gary.  Now about that affordable acre in New Jersey.. .  Uggh.   Think that acre was moved out of state!!  Good tip on ceiling height .ty for that
2WD
project phase
460 v8
Low miles
Reply | Threaded
|

85lebaront2
Administrator
In reply to this post by Westerj
Many years ago I built a 9" Traction Lock, 4 pinion, 31 spline that was going to go in my 1966 Shelby. I had a good friend at the nearest Ford dealer who got my a 9" 31 spline Detroit Locker (what was supposed to be in the car). The 9" Traction Lock ended up being sold many years later.

I have done a few other limited slip units for people including a recent 10.25" Sterling.

FWIW, if you don't mind it's idiosyncrasies, and can afford one, get a Detroit Locker or a similar unit, under power it is essentially a locked rear end, in cornering it drives the slowest turning wheel which is where the fun starts, it will lock/unlock with a loud bang, and on the Shelby would jerk the car a bit sideways in doing so. That being said, Shelby was 2800 lbs, nearly 400 hp with a 3.89:1 gear. It was capable of lifting and carrying the front wheels with drag slicks on the back.
Bill AKA "LOBO" Profile

"Getting old is inevitable, growing up is optional" Darth Vader 1986 F350 460 converted to MAF/SEFI, E4OD 12X3 1/2 rear brakes, traction loc 3:55 gear, 160 amp 3G alternator Wife's 2011 Flex Limited Daily Driver 2009 Flex Limited with factory tow package Project car 1986 Chrysler LeBaron convertible 2.2L Turbo II, modified A413

Reply | Threaded
|

FuzzFace2
85lebaront2 wrote
Many years ago I built a 9" Traction Lock, 4 pinion, 31 spline that was going to go in my 1966 Shelby. I had a good friend at the nearest Ford dealer who got my a 9" 31 spline Detroit Locker (what was supposed to be in the car). The 9" Traction Lock ended up being sold many years later.

I have done a few other limited slip units for people including a recent 10.25" Sterling.

FWIW, if you don't mind it's idiosyncrasies, and can afford one, get a Detroit Locker or a similar unit, under power it is essentially a locked rear end, in cornering it drives the slowest turning wheel which is where the fun starts, it will lock/unlock with a loud bang, and on the Shelby would jerk the car a bit sideways in doing so. That being said, Shelby was 2800 lbs, nearly 400 hp with a 3.89:1 gear. It was capable of lifting and carrying the front wheels with drag slicks on the back.
I used a Detroit Locker in my drag car with 9" wide slicks and 4.56 gear and love it at the strip, never had the car on the road so cant say how it is there. I figured if it did not work out for the track I would use it in my street car.

I also have a Lock Right locker in a 92" wheel base factory v8 car and as Bill pointed out can be fun once you know what it will do in turns.
In the rain you had to be on your game as it would go sideways even from a stop with out even trying and it has a 2.89 rear gear.
Dave ----
Dave G.
81 F100 flare side 300 six / AA OD / NP435 / 2.75 gear
http://cars.grantskingdom1.com/index.php/1980-Ford-F100?page=1
81 F100 style side 300 six/SROD parts truck -RIP
http://cars.grantskingdom1.com/index.php/1981-Ford-F100
Reply | Threaded
|

85lebaront2
Administrator
92" wheelbase and 2.89 rear, would we be talking about a Sunbeam Tiger maybe? Or a V8 swapped MGB?
Bill AKA "LOBO" Profile

"Getting old is inevitable, growing up is optional" Darth Vader 1986 F350 460 converted to MAF/SEFI, E4OD 12X3 1/2 rear brakes, traction loc 3:55 gear, 160 amp 3G alternator Wife's 2011 Flex Limited Daily Driver 2009 Flex Limited with factory tow package Project car 1986 Chrysler LeBaron convertible 2.2L Turbo II, modified A413