Top half of speedo cable?

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
4 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Top half of speedo cable?

Littlebeefy
I am replacing my speedo with a GPS driven unit but am keeping my cruise control. I have the two part speedo cable with connection to the cruise at the joint. Can I take out the top portion of the cable entirely? It seems like I could but I don’t know if that would screw something up.
LittleBeefy aka Chad

“Dot Doitall”: 1984 Bronco XLT
460 (C8VE), Edelbrock Pro-Flo 4, ZF5, NP205, D44HP solid axle, 4.56
urban assault vehicle

"Bebe": 2022 Bronco Badlands 2dr
2.7l, Sasquatch, Iconic Silver, Black Marine-grade interior, hard-top

"Celeste": 1979 Porsche 928
4.5l K-jet, 5-sp, S4/GTS brakes, LSD, Pasha interior
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Top half of speedo cable?

Gary Lewis
Administrator
That will work just fine.  I doesn't need the top half.

Or, you could get a 1986 or later VSS and plug it into the t-case.  You'll have to extend the wires from under the brake booster, but it'll work just fine.

In '86, for most of the trucks, they dropped the two-piece speedo cable with the VSS in the middle for the later VSS that has the driven gear on it.  Then a one-piece speedo cable connects to it.  But you don't need the cable, so...
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

85lebaront2
Administrator
Gary, I would bet that like other changes it varied by assembly plant. I think Matt's "Stolen" 86 F150 had it on the transfer case, Darth's was in the cable at the floor to firewall seam. Stolen was built in Norfolk VA, Darth in Oakville ONT.
Bill AKA "LOBO" Profile

"Getting old is inevitable, growing up is optional" Darth Vader 1986 F350 460 converted to MAF/SEFI, E4OD 12X3 1/2 rear brakes, traction loc 3:55 gear, 160 amp 3G alternator Wife's 2011 Flex Limited Daily Driver 2009 Flex Limited with factory tow package Project car 1986 Chrysler LeBaron convertible 2.2L Turbo II, modified A413

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
I agree, Bill. There’s no way Ford could time everything so they’d run out of the old parts at every plant on the same day. But they needed to train people to install parts “in this way”, so I’ll bet they consolidated the old parts to specific plants and used them until they were gone.
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI