classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
7 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Tire Sizes And Suspension/Steering Components

Machspeed
Administrator
I've been talking about putting 31/10.5/15" tires on my truck. Manufacture's decal specifies 235/75/15, which is what is on it now. Looking at Discount Tire's website, it appears that some of our trucks came with 265/75/15's which is fairly close to the above desired tires I want to go with. My concern is the steering components. Logic dictates that a wider tire puts more wear and tear on the steering components. I'm wondering if those trucks that came from the factory with the 265/75/15 tires had beefier steering components? I'm not sure what the wider tires would have come on. Perhaps F250 4x4's??? Input appreciated.    
John

"Blackie" - 1986 F150 4x4 - Mildly warmed over 351W HO - Original owner
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Tire Sizes And Suspension/Steering Components

Gary Lewis
Administrator
The steering components didn't change due to tire size.  You can see the part #'s at our page on Documentation/Suspension & Steering/Steering/Tie Rods & Drag Links.  And while there were several different parts that changed over time, in many cases the same part was used for F100, F150, F250, and F350's.

So I think the components are easily capable of handling a bit larger tire.  
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

Machspeed
Administrator
Yes.... before I posted this I went to Rockauto and typed in different size trucks (F150, 250, etc), trucks I assumed might have a wider tire. Noted no real differences in parts. Just wanted a confirmation.

I'm a little leery about messing around with the steering, as I've replaced the steering components twice on this truck. Last year when I replaced it, the stuff was plum wore out. In fact, so badly I felt lucky that I wasn't left stranded in a ditch or even worse in a bad accident after the steering let go.

Thanks Gary!

John

Reply | Threaded
|

Gsmblue
I am running 31/10.5/15" on my F150 as in my profile picture. They fit great and I have not noticed any ill effects on the steering.   For completeness the tires are Goodyear Wrangler Duratrac.  

I mentioned in another thread I am going to put 33/10.5/15" BFG KO2 tires on my Bronco and by the sound of it no one thinks they will be an issue for the standard steering set up.
1985.5 F-150 XL Explorer standard cab 5.0 EFI AOD 4x4
Daily Driver. We call her Eunice the Ute.

1982 Bronco XLT Lariat 351W AOD 4x4
Code name Esperanza, or Espy to her friends. Please see my Project thread for the blow by blow.

1984 F-350 XL Centurion crew cab 460 T19 4x4
"Eylza Dual-little"
Reply | Threaded
|

351FUN
In reply to this post by Machspeed
I've run 285/75R16, 37x12.5R16.5 and now 315/75R16 on my F250 with all stock suspension and steering for the last decade and never had to replace any steering components.  The shaft is about read and I have the upgraded on to put on soon, but the truck still drives straight and doesn't have a lot of play in the wheel.  A tire as small as you're looking at won't be any extra strain really.
Reply | Threaded
|

Machspeed
Administrator
Thanks, gentlemen!
John

Reply | Threaded
|

85lebaront2
Administrator
The only steering oddity I have found is the Crew Cab F350s, the tie rods are peculiar to those applications and I do not know about any other parts, steering knuckles primarily. I know Darth will turn inside of a 1994 Super Cab 4WD F250, drove my BIL nuts the first time I did that. I know the inside front wheel will go nearly 90° to the frame.
Bill AKA "LOBO" Profile

"Getting old is inevitable, growing up is optional" Darth Vader 1986 F350 460 converted to MAF/SEFI, E4OD 12X3 1/2 rear brakes, traction loc 3:55 gear, 160 amp 3G alternator Wife's 2011 Flex Limited Daily Driver 2009 Flex Limited with factory tow package Project car 1986 Chrysler LeBaron convertible 2.2L Turbo II, modified A413