Timing

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
38 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Timing

BeagleRock

Update... zero fuel coming from 6 mo. Old fuel pump. Heading to O'riellys in the morning to take advantage of that lifetime warranty lol

Sent from AOL Mobile Mail

On Wednesday, January 31, 2018 PetesPonies [via Bullnose Enthusiasts] <[hidden email]> wrote:

Yes the deep notch.
Pete's Ponies
Mustang RUSToration & Performance

1982 F100 Flareside
1983 Bronco

If you reply to this email, your message will be added to the discussion below:
http://forum.garysgaragemahal.com/Timing-tp6660p6667.html
To unsubscribe from Timing, click here.
NAML
Beaglerock/83f150 351W C6 Transmission 2 wheel drive.
Reply | Threaded
|

PetesPonies
Did you see the picture link I posted?
Pete's Ponies

1982 F100 Flareside
1983 Bronco

Reply | Threaded
|

BeagleRock
Yes I did but I don't have mine exposed, I thought you were talking about the keynotch on the pulley with the timing marks on it as it has a big notch in it about 3/4 opposite of the timing marks. I'm getting ready to put new fuel pump on after I check the inline filter on the frame and make sure someone hasn't siphoned me dry of fuel. I should say check the tank side of the hose to see if there's fuel present. Currently I'm just getting a gas odor and no liquid. Thanks for checking back! 

Sent from my BlackBerry - the most secure mobile device
Sent: February 3, 2018 11:22 AM
Subject: Re: Timing

Did you see the picture link I posted?
Pete's Ponies

1982 F100 Flareside
1983 Bronco

http://forum.garysgaragemahal.com/Timing-tp6660p6800.html
NAML
Reply | Threaded
|

PetesPonies
The keyway, it's how the damper mounts. You don't need to remove the damper to see it.
Pete's Ponies

1982 F100 Flareside
1983 Bronco

Reply | Threaded
|

BeagleRock
Ok .....she's running now, I had it close on timing the first go round. Somebody drained my gas tank!!! 😤 Sounds so much better now,smooth and steady. Now to block off the annoying sound coming off the exhaust where the smog hoses were. Then fiddle with the carb a little,not much though I'm not used to it starting after a couple of cranks and not dying 2 seconds later! 
 Thanks for all your help Pete!

Sent: February 3, 2018 4:41 PM

The keyway, it's how the damper mounts. You don't need to remove the damper to see it.
Pete's Ponies

1982 F100 Flareside
1983 Bronco

http://forum.garysgaragemahal.com/Timing-tp6660p6813.html
NAML
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Congrat's!!  Did you get the power valve connected to manifold vacuum?

On the exhaust, if you still have the tubes sticking up where the hoses went on you can bend the tube over and crimp them.  Works well.
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

BeagleRock
Thanks Gary!  Yes she's running and I did get the power valve hooked up to main vac. Thanks for the info on the metal pipes sticking up, I'll do that monday and go get gas! Thanks for all your help!!! 😀 

Sent: February 3, 2018 6:15 PM

On the exhaust, if you still have the tubes sticking up where the hoses went on you can bend the tube over and crimp them.  Works well.
Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/soon-to-be ZF5/3.55's & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

http://forum.garysgaragemahal.com/Timing-tp6660p6818.html
NAML
Reply | Threaded
|

BeagleRock
In reply to this post by Gary Lewis
Old breather housing is a little bit big for the 2150 is there any kind of adapter to make it fit abit more snug or do I sell my original and look for a late 70s early 80s housing? Thanks Randy 

On Feb 3, 2018 6:15 PM, "Gary Lewis [via Bullnose Enthusiasts]" <[hidden email]> wrote:

http://forum.garysgaragemahal.com/Timing-tp6660p6818.html
To unsubscribe from Timing, <a href="http://forum.garysgaragemahal.com/template/NamlServlet.jtp?macro&#61;unsubscribe_by_code&amp;node&#61;6660&amp;code&#61;cndibWNyQGFvbC5jb218NjY2MHwtNTI1MTgyOTMy">click here.
<a href="http://forum.garysgaragemahal.com/template/NamlServlet.jtp?macro&#61;macro_viewer&amp;id&#61;instant_html%21nabble%3Aemail.naml&amp;base&#61;nabble.naml.namespaces.BasicNamespace-nabble.view.web.template.NabbleNamespace-nabble.view.web.template.NodeNamespace&amp;breadcrumbs&#61;notify_subscribers%21nabble%3Aemail.naml-instant_emails%21nabble%3Aemail.naml-send_instant_email%21nabble%3Aemail.naml" style="font:9px serif">NAML

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
I have the air cleaner part numbers listed here (Fuel Systems/Air Cleaners/Air Cleaner Housing #'s), and if you look at E0PZ 9600-A you'll see that it fits a 2bbl, 4bbl, and the VV carb.  So all had the same opening diameter.  In other words, you air cleaner should be the right size.

Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

BeagleRock
Ok, I haven't tried it yet I was just going by the little gasket that sits on top of the carb and the one for the 2150 is about 1/2" smaller in diameter so I assumed the housing itself was larger. That's Great news though because OEM's from that Era are rusty and expensive! 
 Thanks so much ☺

Sent: February 5, 2018 3:59 PM

I have the air cleaner part numbers listed here (Fuel Systems/Air Cleaners/Air Cleaner Housing #'s), and if you look at E0PZ 9600-A you'll see that it fits a 2bbl, 4bbl, and the VV carb.  So all had the same opening diameter.  In other words, you air cleaner should be the right size.

http://forum.garysgaragemahal.com/Timing-tp6660p6917.html
NAML
Reply | Threaded
|

1986F150Six
Administrator
Excuse my ignorance [if applicable?]... Is this 2150 the one you swapped for your old VV carb [with Gary]? I can't remember and was just wondering if the good results reported are due to that carburetor?

Thanks!
Reply | Threaded
|

BeagleRock
Yes this is the carb I swapped for,as for good results any 2150 would beat the old 7200VV. It should also be mentioned that I put an HEI dizzy on it and removed smog pump and plugged/removed several emissions hoses. I put a new carb kit in the 2150  after giving it a 24 hr bath in a tub of Gunk carb cleaner.
 I hope that answers your question.
P.S I still haven't driven it yet because of time or lack thereof and the weather plus I've still got alot of clean up left under the hood ,properly routing wires fine tuning carb etc.
Reply | Threaded
|

1986F150Six
Administrator
That is great, BeagleRock. This is what I like about this forum... people can swap parts and both parties benefit! You now have a much better running truck and Gary has the VV carb. to add to his collection of old carburetors. That is what can be defined as a win-win transaction!
Reply | Threaded
|

BeagleRock

Absolutely! Best forum out there imo. Ford Truck Enthusiasts forum is ok but it seems like there's more arguing about who's is the best than a help Forum, also I always seem to come away from there feeling stupid,granted I'm no REAL mechanic but I don't like having that fact smeared in my face. This is truly a helpful forum without alot of judgment of one's knowledge. Added bonus I have yet to see a cussing contest 😇

On Tuesday, February 6, 2018 1986F150Six [via Bullnose Enthusiasts] <[hidden email]> wrote:

That is great, BeagleRock. This is what I like about this forum... people can swap parts and both parties benefit! You now have much better running truck and Gary has the VV carb. to add to his collection of old carburetors. That is what can be defines as a win-win transaction!

http://forum.garysgaragemahal.com/Timing-tp6660p6984.html
NAML
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Glad you guys like the forum.  That was the intent - small but helpful.  And we don't allow cussing!  

As for swapping parts, I'm thrilled to get the VV as I haven't seen one of them in decades.  And it'll be a neat addition to my collection.

Reply | Threaded
|

BeagleRock

Hi Gary :Do you need the dashpot as I like to call it as it is vacuum driven as opposed to electric which is what's on the 2150. The reason I ask is because I still have the previous vacuum hose intact but no electrical source near there. If it's just a constant 12v I can find and wire up a connection if it's even something that's needed.
Thanks Gary it'll be there next week I promise! I get paid Friday evening.

On Tuesday, February 6, 2018 Gary Lewis [via Bullnose Enthusiasts] <[hidden email]> wrote:

Glad you guys like the forum.  That was the intent - small but helpful.  And we don't allow cussing!  

As for swapping parts, I'm thrilled to get the VV as I haven't seen one of them in decades.  And it'll be a neat addition to my collection.

http://forum.garysgaragemahal.com/Timing-tp6660p6988.html
NAML
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
I'm sorry, but I got lost.  It seemed like you were asking me if I want the dashpot from the VV, and the answer is "yes" if you don't need it.

But then you seemed to shift to wiring up the solenoid on the 2150.  Are you thinking of swapping the dashpot where the solenoid is?  Those were used for two different reasons, as explained on my 2150 page under the External Systems tab.  They were "throttle positioners", but the vacuum one was for a different purpose than the electric one.

The one on that 2150 was a "throttle kicker" that raised the throttle slightly to provide the idle speed, and then completely closed the throttle when the ignition was shut off to ensure the engine didn't "diesel".  All of that is shown on Page 19 and discussed on Page 27 in the Start, Ignition, Carb Circuit section of the 1981 EVTM.

I don't think you'll need either of them, and certainly not the vacuum one.  And I suggest that you drive the truck before you worry about the electric one.  Dad never had it hooked up.

Reply | Threaded
|

BeagleRock
Okie dokie thanks Gary 

Sent: February 6, 2018 11:06 AM

I'm sorry, but I got lost.  It seemed like you were asking me if I want the dashpot from the VV, and the answer is "yes" if you don't need it.

But then you seemed to shift to wiring up the solenoid on the 2150.  Are you thinking of swapping the dashpot where the solenoid is?  Those were used for two different reasons, as explained on my 2150 page under the External Systems tab.  They were "throttle positioners", but the vacuum one was for a different purpose than the electric one.

The one on that 2150 was a "throttle kicker" that raised the throttle slightly to provide the idle speed, and then completely closed the throttle when the ignition was shut off to ensure the engine didn't "diesel".  All of that is shown on Page 19 and discussed on Page 27 in the Start, Ignition, Carb Circuit section of the 1981 EVTM.

I don't think you'll need either of them, and certainly not the vacuum one.  And I suggest that you drive the truck before you worry about the electric one.  Dad never had it hooked up.

http://forum.garysgaragemahal.com/Timing-tp6660p6990.html
NAML