classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
31 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Time for a new radiator?

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Good question.  I've been through the dealer fact books pretty closely and haven't seen anything about certain DSO's having to take certain options or not being able to get certain options - with the exception of CA where some engines weren't available.
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

Rembrant
In reply to this post by ArdWrknTrk
ArdWrknTrk wrote
I'd imagine cooling needs in Canada are probably not near as severe as Texas.
Just like a diesel truck in Alaska or Canada might always have a block heater.

Does anybody know if Ford had certain "mandatory options" for certain DSO's?
Right. Out here on the east coast we had our own regional DSO number, and it would be rare to find a Bullnose truck out here with AC or HD cooling. On the flip side, the HO Heaters were relatively common, as were factory block heaters.

Imagine back in those days, the radiator was also specific to the transmission. The standard 21" radiator in my '84 did not have provisions for an automatic transmission.

It's funny though, I've seen people comment online before that they'd never seen a Bullnose without AC!

I don't know about the US, but I am sure it is the same as here in Canada that they do offer different option packages for different areas. I bought a new Silverado company truck in 2013, and it had to be silver. The dealer found one in New Brunswick (next province west of us), but it had raised white letter AT tires and a limited slip differential. He told me that all the new trucks in NB came that way. I assume that was dealer driven, but it was a regional thing regardless.

I also had a bunch of diesel Volkswagens over the years, and I know specifically with those cars that AC was an option in Canada, while it the US it was standard and could not be opted out of.

These days everything is pretty standard I would imagine, but Gary did confirm the other day that DRL's still are not required in the US and they've been mandatory up here for a couple decades at least.
1994 F150 4x2 Flareside. 5.0 w/MAF, 4R70W, stock.
1984 F150 4X2 Flareside. Mild 302 w/ 5spd. Sold.
1980 F150 4X4 Flareside. 300i6 w/ 5spd. Sold in 2021.
1980 F100 4X2 Flareside. 351w/2bbl w/NP435. Sold in 1995

Reply | Threaded
|

BigBrother-84
Jim, this truck was sold for an outfitter based on Anticosti Island, located in the middle of St.Lawrence river's gulf.  I've been there 2 times, I can say that even in the middle of summer time they never suffer of heat.
And for what I know, it was not planned to tow heavy load, just deer hunters and their trophy.

The truck was parked for winter season, waiting for next tourist season.

Personally, I miss AC couple of days per year, no more.  Without any traffic jam around here (Mont-Tremblant, QC), opened windows and ride wind do the job.

And you're right, a block heater is much more useful than AC.
Jeff / 1984 F350 Crew Cab 4x4/5.8L w351 4V/ T18/ D50 4.10 front/ 8' bed.
Restored 2019-2022.
Nicknamed «Big Brother 1984», due to its soooo-looong shape & nod to George Orwell's 1984 famous novel.
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
I know Anticosti Island.  It is the one that our captain on the cruise chose to "hide behind" (his words) from Hurricane Fiona.

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

BigBrother-84
Gary, too bad you didn't have time to go on the island:

https://forum.garysgaragemahal.com/Anticosti-Island-Big-Brother-s-Homeland-td126664.html
Restored 2019-2022.
Nicknamed «Big Brother 1984», due to its soooo-looong shape & nod to George Orwell's 1984 famous novel.
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Yes, it is!

Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
This post was updated on .
In reply to this post by BigBrother-84
Not sure I'd want a layover at Anticosti in the midst of a hurricane.  🤔
Seems like a cool place to have grown up!

The only things I know about Mont Tremblant is the ski resort and that I would have liked to catch the Can-Am races back in the late '70's when I was going to Watkins Glen for the Grand Prix.
I decided the extra milage and need for a passport were a step too much for a kid from Connecticut.

Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Too much other stuff to mention.
Reply | Threaded
|

Machspeed
Administrator
Thanks for posting this up, Jeff! I'm curious now what size radiator I have in my truck. As was previously mentioned, surprised your truck would have the smaller radiator. Definately cooler temps up there where you're at. Do you have factory AC on your truck or is it even equipped with AC?  
John

"Blackie" - 1986 F150 4x4 - Mildly warmed over 351W HO - Original owner
Reply | Threaded
|

Rusty_S85
ArdWrknTrk wrote
I'd imagine cooling needs in Canada are probably not near as severe as Texas.
Just like a diesel truck in Alaska or Canada might always have a block heater.

Does anybody know if Ford had certain "mandatory options" for certain DSO's?
Something I would be interested in as well.  Mine has the HD cooling option with the larger 27" radiator but my truck didnt come with AC, truck was a heat only truck that had the AC installed after the fact at the dealership.

I dont even know if I ever looked up the DSO for my truck and where it was built.
"Old Blue" - '56 Fairlane Town Sedan - 292-4V, Ford-O-Matic transmission, 3.22:1
'63 Belair 2dr sdn - 283-4V, Powerglide transmission, 4.56:1
'78 Cougar XR7 - 351-2V, FMX transmission, 2.75:1 9inch
"Bruno" - '82 F150 Flareside - 302-2V, C6 transmission, 2.75:1 9inch, 31x10.50-15 BFG KO2
Reply | Threaded
|

Rusty_S85
In reply to this post by Machspeed
Machspeed wrote
Thanks for posting this up, Jeff! I'm curious now what size radiator I have in my truck. As was previously mentioned, surprised your truck would have the smaller radiator. Definately cooler temps up there where you're at. Do you have factory AC on your truck or is it even equipped with AC?
Easy way to tell what radiator you have is by the spacing of the mounting brackets and the cut out in the top of the core support for the radiator cap.  If you have a cut out in the top of the core support to the right of your radiator then you have the smaller 21" radiator.  If you have the cut out infront of the radiator core you have the larger 27" radiator.  You can also look at the mounts there are two sets of mounts on all trucks a more center line mount for the smaller 21" radiator close to the center line of the truck and one more to the right closer to the head light for the larger 27" radiator.
"Old Blue" - '56 Fairlane Town Sedan - 292-4V, Ford-O-Matic transmission, 3.22:1
'63 Belair 2dr sdn - 283-4V, Powerglide transmission, 4.56:1
'78 Cougar XR7 - 351-2V, FMX transmission, 2.75:1 9inch
"Bruno" - '82 F150 Flareside - 302-2V, C6 transmission, 2.75:1 9inch, 31x10.50-15 BFG KO2
Reply | Threaded
|

BigBrother-84
In reply to this post by Machspeed
Machspeed wrote
Do you have factory AC on your truck or is it even equipped with AC?
John, Big Bro was ordered completely stripped out, no accessories, no AC, no powered windows, even no radio at all.

Engine, transmission, steering & seats, that's it.

I suspect that the small radiator was another way to save some more pennies.
Restored 2019-2022.