classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
15 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Thoughts On Tonneau/Bed Covers?

Gary Lewis
Administrator
I'm in the market for a tonneau cover for Big Blue, something lockable so when we are traveling we can put our suitcases back there without worries.  And I'm hoping that someone out there knows more about it than I do, which won't be difficult.

I have a Retrax Pro on Blue and really like it.  But on their site I can't find one for a Ford truck older than 1997.  (If you put 1996 or earlier in you can only find GM trucks.)  So, when did the beds change?  Was it in '97?

I'm going to put it behind the toolbox, so it only needs to be 76 1/2" long, which should mean I can use one for a 6 3/4' bed.  But if the beds changed.....

And later I hope to add a "roof top tent" to the truck, which will take a rack of some kind.  But Retrax shows the picture below on their site for one of their high-end covers.  But there is precious little info on their site, and I'm concerned about loading.

Anyway, maybe some of you know of other covers that are lockable and either have the ability to put other accessories on their tracks or have cutouts for the stake pockets?

Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Thoughts On Tonneau/Bed Covers?

Gary Lewis
Administrator
I've done some research and am happy with what I'm finding.

First, the tent in the above pic looks to be a Yakima SkyRise Medium, Red.  And they, Yakima, have several roof top tents available.  What I don't yet know is how many of them will attach to the crossbars, nor how much weight the crossbars can handle.

Next, Leer makes a Pace Edwards Jackrabbit With Explorer Series Rails tonneau.  And, they have one to fit our trucks, both with an 80" bed and a 96" bed.  Plus, as the name implies, it comes with the rails that the crossbars go into.

So, I have a lot of investigation to do, with questions like:

Can I go with a unit for an 80" bed and butt it up against my tool box instead of the bulkhead at the front of the bed?

Will it work with my drop-in bed liner?  (I suspect not as most clamp to the inside edge of the "gunnel" if you will, and the liner hides that.)

How much weight can the crossbars carry?  (One of the Yakima tents is capable of handling 600 lbs, so can the crossbars carry that?)

I have a lot to learn about this, but I'm happy to find that there are tonneaus that have tracks.  So I could go with a tonneau now and add the crossbars and roof top tent later - if I get to go overlanding with my son.  (Or grandkids????)

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

Nothing Special
I don't know what the rails or crossbars are rated for, but the manufacturer(s) should be able to tell you that.

One thing I've heard about those type of things is that they have two different weight ratings, dynamic (how mich weight they can carry when you are bouncing around on a road or trail) and static (how much they can support while you're stopped in camp.  Obviously the static rating is much higher, so don't pavic if you see a weight rating of only something like 300 - 400 lbs.

Not sure I can help with much else you asked (as if I helped there!).  In the first post you were asking about when beds changed.  Ford or GM?  I'm thinking you know that Ford beds changed in '97 on the F-150 and F-250, and in '99 (there was no '98) on the F-250HD and F-350.  The GM bed was (I think) identical to the pre'97 Ford bed up to some year.  I'm thinking you're asking that, and I don't know that answer.  But I'm thinking it's in the mid- to late-'80s that GM went "modern."
Bob
Sorry, no '80 - '86 Ford trucks
"Oswald": 1997 F-250HD crew cab short box, 460, E4OD, 4.10 gears
"Pluto": 1971 Bronco, 302, NV3550 5 speed, Atlas 4.3:1 transfer case, 33" tires
"the motorhome": 2015 E-450-based 28' class C motorhome, 6.8L V-10
"the Dodge": 2007 Dodge 2500, 6.7L Cummins
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Bob - Thanks for the reply.

Yes, I am finding two different ratings.  But what is confusing is that there are just two ratings.  For instance, Yakima says their OverHaul HD Tonneau Set will "Carry up to 300 lbs. of gear on-road and up to 180 lbs. off-road."  That seems to work as their Skyrise Medium tent weighs 115 lbs, and you might have a few accessories, like pillows, blankets, sheets, etc in there.

But so far nothing says how much weight the supports can take when sitting still.  One of the Yakima RTTs can handle 3 people and 600 lbs.  But can the supports?

This is a whole new world to me.  It appears that I can get a tonneau with tracks and later add the right bits and pieces to have a RTT - assuming that I get someone to go with me.  But there are soooooo many details on the RTT and supports to be worked out that it gets confusing.

Here's one: Yakima's OverHaul HD Tonneau Set says "Specifically designed to fit Retrax XR series, Pace-Edwards (except 2004+ Ford F-150), and Ford Embark LS tonneau covers".  And I'm looking at the Pace-Edwards.  But on the Yakima page it says "Does not fit your 1985 Ford Pickup, Full Size Std. Cab."  

I would think that if you have a Pace-Edwards with the tracks then it'll fit, regardless of what truck you have.  Doesn't that make sense?

As for the bed, I was asking about Fords.  And I had forgotten that '97 was the change.  So apparently Retrax hasn't addressed the earlier beds.

My plan for tomorrow, among other things, is to call Retrax and confirm that.  And call Leer re the Pace-Edwards and confirm my expectation that I can mount their box against the toolbox.  And ask about the drop-in liner.  Then I may call Yakima and find out why their system won't fit my truck.

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
I'm going to ask Alan/Blacktop to tell us about his roof top tent, his Unistrut rails, and his plans for a rack.  Perhaps that will help with my thinking?

Reply | Threaded
|

Blacktop
Hi Gary, unfortunately I am hoping to shortly move house so my roof top tent is in storage and unaccesible.
I dont have any photos of the tent erected but it is the same as any other rtt so you get the idea.
I mounted unistrut rails on the underside of the upper edges of the truck bed. Then using brackets I mounted two more rails across the truck bed  The rtt was then mounted to them.
As soon as I can I will get some detail photos but it wont be for a while I'm afraid.

1984 F150 XLT short bed 4x4 351w 4speed manual
1980 F100 long bed 2wd 300-6 3speed manual project truck
🇬🇧UK based truck enthusiast🇬🇧
Reply | Threaded
|

Blacktop

1984 F150 XLT short bed 4x4 351w 4speed manual
1980 F100 long bed 2wd 300-6 3speed manual project truck
🇬🇧UK based truck enthusiast🇬🇧
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Alan - Thanks for the info.  Don't worry about getting the detailed pics as I hope to go another way.  I hope to use the t-slots now available on some of the tonneaus that will let me use commercially-available racks.

Here's a pic of one version, but this wouldn't be adequate for a RTT.  However, it does show the Pace Edwards Explorer rail system and states it works with Thule & Yakima.

Reply | Threaded
|

swampedout
In reply to this post by Gary Lewis
Well since this thread is titled "Thoughts..." Ill throw my two cents.

I like the plan of bed cover and RTT but I think once you have this combo and start overlanding (or even just cruising around), you might want a pull out storage system because youre bed will be hard to access.
Sam
1984 F250. 460. C6. 4x4.
 MSD Ignition. Airbag rear suspension
Whole buncha problems
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
You may be right.  But the beauty of this approach is that if overlanding never happens, and there is a good chance it won't, then I don't need to buy the rack, the RTT, nor the storage system.

Having said that, my son loves the idea of a pull-out storage system, so maybe I can entice him to go with me if we add one of those to the truck.  It'll have to be fairly low 'cause right now the large spare tire would ride on top of it.  But, if I ever get the bumper/tire storage thing built it would go back there.

Anyway, I like the idea that I can buy something now to which I can add on to later.

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
I spent a long time on the phone this morning.  Turns out that Retrax doesn't make bed covers to fit our trucks.

But Pace Edwards does have bed covers to fit our trucks, some of which have tracks for racks, and here are some of my notes:

The Full Metal Jackrabbit With Explorer Rails is a great one, but if used offroad the twisting of the bed can cause it to unlock and roll open.  If that is a concern go with the Bed Locker With Explorer Rails, which is the same aluminum material but is electrically deployed and can't come open.

But all of their covers clamp to the inside edge of the bed's top, which means you either have to remove the drop-in bed liner or cut the liner such that you can get to the inside edge.  I asked if it would be better to bolt it in and he said no.  That their clamps are very solid and will not come off.

I can modify either unit to fit the bed behind the toolbox, but the Bed Locker will be a little easier.  On it just remove the end caps, cut the track to length, and reinstall the caps.  On the FMJ you have to remove the stop strip that goes in the track, trim the front of the stop strip and the back of the track, and reinstall the stop strip.

They sell a rack made for them by Thule - model # TH1069.  It's new model, which has a higher rating than the old model, but their documentation doesn't list the new rating.  The old one was 160 pounds.  (He said that is probably the "offroad" rating but didn't know for sure.)  But Thule has others that fit, as do Yakima and RhinoRack.

So I called Yakima and talked to James.  He thinks I want their Tonneau Cover SkyLine Rack Kit, Full-size.  It has a 220 lb rating, which is their "dynamic" rating, but for offroad you should take 1/3 off, so that would give it a rating of 147 lbs.  That works nicely with their SkyRise HD Medium tent which weighs 115 lbs as it gives some room for sheets, pillows, blankets, etc.  And it has a static rating of 500 pounds.

The bottom line of this is that I've found that at least one bed cover that works with the racks from several vendors.  So I am comfortable buying a Pace Edwards cover because later I can go with a rack and roof top tent that will fit the tracks.

Reply | Threaded
|

Rembrant
In reply to this post by Gary Lewis
Gary,

I'm not much help on this topic, but figured I'd throw a couple other brands at you in case they haven't come up in your searches. I have a Tuxedo on my Tacoma...just one of the roll-up ones (not locking, obviously) and I quite like the thing. It is the first tonneau cover I have ever had in30+ years and probably a dozen trucks or more. It sure is nice for keeping my bed dry in the winter...seems I haul around a lot of old Ford truck parts...lol.

https://truxedo.com/truxport/2015/toyota/tacoma

For the old Flaresides however...I'd really like to have one of the Craftec Covers...they really look great to me. The downside, is that I don't want to drill any holes in the bed...certainly not on my 1984, but maybe I will consider it on the 1980 since it is not as nice.

https://www.crafteccovers.com/1980-87-Ford-Flareside_p_125.html?fbclid=IwAR3j9ZIYJ8qTN_muxHb6IyLUmPqT_23CTDT2LLw1dBXbq9-O1TEORqUyTv4
1994 F150 4x2 Flareside. 5.0 w/MAF, 4R70W, stock.
1984 F150 4X2 Flareside. Mild 302 w/ 5spd. Sold.
1980 F150 4X4 Flareside. 300i6 w/ 5spd. Sold in 2021.
1980 F100 4X2 Flareside. 351w/2bbl w/NP435. Sold in 1995

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Thanks, Cory.  I'll check them out.  I'm not hung up on Pace Edwards, but some quick Googling had said that two companies have the tracks for the racks - Retrax and Pace Edwards.  Maybe there are others?

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
In reply to this post by Rembrant
Cory - I just checked and neither of those make covers with tracks.  Melissa at Truxedo said they used to make them, but don't any more.

Just chatted with RHR Swag, who said that the Pace Edwards Jackrabbit is the only cover with tracks that will fit my truck.  That there is no other brand nor any other Pace Edwards cover that will fit.  Strange since Tony @ Pace Edwards told me yesterday that they have several models to fit my truck, including the Jackrabbit and the Bed Locker.

And I just called Thule.  Turns out that some of the info Tony @ Pace Edwards gave me yesterday may be out of date as he said Thule makes the TH1069 rack for them.  But Thule said they've discontinued that and now I want Kit 3101 plus the Rapid Podium Footpack 460R and their ProBar.  That combo fits the Pace Edwards and is rated at 165 lbs dynamic, but they don't rate on or offroad.  It is worst case.  Their tents weigh ~130 lbs and the racks weigh 10 lbs, so you have ~25 lbs to play with for your bedding, etc.

This combo is rated at 600 lbs of static weight, meaning when the vehicle is standing still, so you have plenty of capacity for people.

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Ok, time to close this thread out.

I just ordered the Pace Edwards Bed Locker with Explorer Rails.  That's the electrically-powered one, and the reason for that is mainly due to the fact that twisting of the bed in offroad crossups can cause a manually-locked cover to come open.  Tony, the tech at Pace Edwards said the bed will flex enough that the pall on the cover will get pulled out of the stop strip inside the track.  But the electrically-powered one won't do that.

However, they don't have the 6' 8" Explorer rails in stock so will have to make those and I probably won't get the unit for about a month.  Which is ok 'cause I have lots of other things to do.

Anyway, thanks for all the input.