Thoughts - Electric Hybrid/4wd option for old school 2wd Trucks

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
2 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Thoughts - Electric Hybrid/4wd option for old school 2wd Trucks

Danny G
Been in contact with a company that does in wheel electric motors.

The thought process was add in a couple motors capable of giving on demand electric 4wd.

We have 3 units available that that will fit 15 and 16 inch rims already that I am working with the company on a package for old school trucks.

The first units provide 295flbs peak torque (per tire) and rotate at a maximum of 750rpm. With a 35in tire that is a max speed of 78.1 mph. It's a lighter duty motor for cruising, or if you wanted to kick it on to get unstuck. Trying to get this one modified, beefier, correct studs etc, but same power levels as I see this as enough power.

The second option has peak torque exceeding 516ftlbs (per wheel) and a continuous torque of 295ftlbs (per wheel) and has a top speed of 1500 RPM which would be over 150 mph on a 25" tire.

Needless to say not only could you use that for getting on stuck, but at that point you could just drive on electric, but your battery requirement is going to be significantly more. They have a unit specifically designed for pick ups and SUVs as well but full time use that has a peak torque of over 1100ftlbs its constant power load is the same as the peak power load of the previous unit, but also includes a built in brake system...

thoughts?

1986 F-150|Standard Cab|4x2|300Six|C6Transmission w/3.08 rear|Name:TBD
2021 Ranger XLT Super Crew
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Thoughts - Electric Hybrid/4wd option for old school 2wd Trucks

Gary Lewis
Administrator
My son and I recently had a similar conversation about electrifying a gas-powered truck.  And we quickly came to the conclusion that it would be a whole lot of work.  And very expensive.

The issue is more in the electronics to deliver the power to the motors than it is in the motors themselves.  Does the company you are talking with have the electronics?  If so, how would you interface it to the throttle you currently have?  Or would you keep it separate and just use it for getting unstuck?

And, where would the batteries go?  And what batteries?
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI