The sad tale of Farm Truck the 444 IDI

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
3 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

The sad tale of Farm Truck the 444 IDI

RenoHuskerDu
Farm Truck was a great find. A 1989 with only 104k on it, straight body and bed, great running, just a long crank start to resolve (we fixed air leaks) and broken pickup tube in the front tank. XLT Lariat with everything working and no cracks in the interior. We rewired a 3G alternator in there last year. He was a fave for the womenfolk to take on trips around our rural area. Freeway was not his forte what with a C6, no overdrive gear. We don't have any freeways around here but the speed limit is 70 on many Texas highways.

Farm Truck started consuming coolant a year ago, slowly. I kept my eye on that but I rarely drive him. I think I topped him up twice in a year.  This week, white smoke was noted and a rough start. I contacted Accurate Diesel and planned Tim's kit of rebuilt injectors and return lines.

Then, he went no crank on Friday morning. I wasn't there so I had the kids put him on the charger. When I got home I discovered it was actually hydrolocked.  It only took me two key twists to figure that out. And the coolant level is way down.

I believe it's the dreaded coolant jacket perforation into the combustion chamber. The Achilles heel that affects some percentage of 444 (7.3) IDIs due to off-center bore castings.  The PO didn't use anti-cavitation coolant additive. I still plan to remove the glow plugs, turn it over by hand, and see what comes out. I can't think of another explanation except head gasket. But the 444 has sturdy head bolts.

Because we probably have to pull the motor, now is a good time for a ZF5. So I'm scouring for a parts truck with a good motor and tranny, and beat up body.  I believe that stepping up to serpentine belt drive would be good too, so that makes it a 92 or later if I remember correctly. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Reno in Central Texas, 86 F250 XLT Lariat eclb 2wd 6.9, plus 2 Bricknoses, 1 Aeronose that's getting a Bullnose front clip, and parts trucks. Busy lads, father and sons wrenchers.
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: The sad tale of Farm Truck the 444 IDI

kramttocs
Administrator
Sorry to hear about the motor but wow, that body really does look great!
Scott
'Camano' 1986 F250 Supercab XLT Lariat 460/C6
'Chanute' 1980 F350 C&C 400/NP 435 - Gin Pole

But there ain't nothin' wrong with the radio
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: The sad tale of Farm Truck the 444 IDI

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Yes, that's a bummer about the motor.  But you will like a ZF5.  Drop it into 5th and motor on down the road.

So, I hope you can find the right truck with a good engine and tranny and a shot body.  Marry the two and you'll have it made.  
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI